• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chris Horner is torching knuckleheads and murdering everyone's name

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Chris Horner is the Teflon Don of cycling.
One of many things I like about the guy is he never seemed worried about getting popped for nefarious deeds, despite the fact he never enjoyed the same power and influence of, say, a person who can't be mentioned in this forum. Let's just say his shenanigans took more than one ball.
Also, he is the only person in the world who can make a bike race seem exciting with 150 km's to go. If you follow closely, his narratives jump all over the place, but he still manages to keep the narrative in his head right until the end.
I admire his enthusiasm and willful silliness. I find it infectious.
Horner really is unique, and has always been. I‘ve been following his path since circa 2000, when he was back in the US, after difficult times at FdJ.

I was extremely happy for him after his late breakthrough victory (MTF of Arosa in 2005 TdS). In these times, I really noticed he was a special person. This spirit and motivation, his unorthodox approach to his job, certain quotes, all these made me a fan of his.

His stories about nutrition, back then - just great. His passion for McDonald‘s food, when everyone ate cleanly… Funny stuff.

2005 Arosa, I thought this might have been his career crowning. I had no idea he‘d go on to win the Vuelta six years later, aged 41.

He‘s still around and commentating, which I like very much. Only thing that‘s weird when he rates sprints and current sprinters… ;)

Different to Jens Voigt and Bobby Julich, both who I disliked almost from the beginning, I still almost love Chris Horner and everything he did, does and will do in cycling. A smart man with fine humour, who always also had the ability to laugh about himself, if it fit… ;) (different to Jens Voigt, btw, whom I always regarded as some kind of a dishonest person; I‘m sorry if I‘m wrong, but that‘s my view)

Sure, play the waiting game, follow the Jumbo train, but you have to have the legs, which he simply did not have. However, it's unusual that a team can place three GT wins in one season, with Kuss never fading after 3 Grand tours. If they keep this up, then there is no reason to watch.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
I hated this video.
It was more like a recap of the Vuelta.
And the monday morning quarterbacking is just over the top.
Like seriously he is saying it was a tactical blunder to win stage 3 and take the red jersey?
He won the stage in a sprint FFS

Horner saying Sepp would have been in red after stage 3 if Remco played it right and therefore never would have been in stage 6 break is just
laughable.

I used to love Horners vids, but they are seeming to go downhill...
I thought the video was gonna be about Remco's chances in the tour next year, not a rehash of this year

I hated this video.
Like seriously he is saying it was a tactical blunder to win stage 3 and take the red jersey?

Horner saying Sepp would have been in red after stage 3 if Remco played it right and therefore never would have been in stage 6 break is just
laughable.

I thought the video was gonna be about Remco's chances in the tour next year, not a rehash of this year
I had alot of trouble with it also. The way he thinks racing is just so mind numbingly boring. Reminds me of the clip from the tour "documentary" where G. Is baffled Pitcock would want to animate the race.

The narrative that QS "let" a 40 man break go as a tactical blunder is ridiculously. They got beaten. And Remco should learn to keep quiet at times.

I hated this video.

laughable.

That's because, he is an idiot.

I had alot of trouble with it also. The way he thinks racing is just so mind numbingly boring. Reminds me of the clip from the tour "documentary" where G. Is baffled Pitcock would want to animate the race.

The narrative that QS "let" a 40 man break go as a tactical blunder is ridiculously. They got beaten. And Remco should learn to keep quiet at times.
No, on that he's right, you never let a 40 man break go. Even if you are unaware of the danger, because you can't manage the time gap. Max 20.

Ok, so they were like, this is fine, just let it go? They couldn't control anything.
They had guys in it, so, yea, evidently they thought everything was copacetic. Remco stupidly announced their intention, so all the sharks were out, which is why the situation escaped their control. However, they still had options. When the break was so numerous, the Soudal riders should have been sent back to help reel it in to allow a smaller group up the road. 40 was simply too numerous.

I enjoy the description of Horner's views on racing as boring.. don't necessarily disagree, but most of what he says and majority of his analysis is ultra safe because it's done after the race.
He did semi real time calling of races w NBC but that's history and to recreate real time race announcement is super expensive and almost nobody, especially in the US does it. No demand and no market so for now what is available are GCN and other Horners calling all race moves and strategies with 110% accuracy because they know the entire movie start to finish, what they are saying is history not professional predictions.
If Horner and others want cutting edge, make your predictions before the race, from riders to team strategies.. but to act smart or even genius tactician after the race is over.. not very hard..

I enjoy the description of Horner's views on racing as boring.. don't necessarily disagree, but most of what he says and majority of his analysis is ultra safe because it's done after the race.
He did semi real time calling of races w NBC but that's history and to recreate real time race announcement is super expensive and almost nobody, especially in the US does it. No demand and no market so for now what is available are GCN and other Horners calling all race moves and strategies with 110% accuracy because they know the entire movie start to finish, what they are saying is history not professional predictions.
If Horner and others want cutting edge, make your predictions before the race, from riders to team strategies.. but to act smart or even genius tactician after the race is over.. not very hard..
He should set up a live audio commentary stream during the race, so ES viewers can choose between Kirby and him.

to recreate real time race announcement is super expensive and almost nobody, especially in the US does it. No demand and no market so for now what is available are GCN and other Horners calling all race moves and strategies with 110% accuracy because they know the entire movie start to finish, what they are saying is history not professional predictions.

This reminds me of those reaction videos where they’ll have a guy like Paul McCartney hear Bohemian Rhapsody “for the first time” on live stream.

As a counter point to this, there’s a lot to be said for race commentators simply calling the race and adding insights without offering a detailed analysis—because then we’ll hear more BS when they think they must sound like they understand exactly what’s going on. often that isn’t really knowable till the full race happens.
One of the few times I still yell at the screen watching sports is during NFL games when the “expert” gives an exacting description of “this is what happened” and it’s clear they weren’t watching the actual play carefully but already had an assumption about why a play failed, and wanted to blab their narrative regardless. And their co-commentator will never (rarely) call them on that,

FANTASTIC video out today from Horner.
Talks about all the contracts and contract stresses throughout his career, tells us salary over the
years, how contracts are negotiated and how he was treated by various bosses and DS's

The haters are gonna hate it but Johan Bruyneel is a totally amazing manager and stand up guy

Mark Madiot is great too.

Awesome look at the money aspects of a pro's career!!