• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 490 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the morning, in several groups, in sunny and warm weather, the cyclists went to a longer and less intense training session in shorts, as the team boss Mauro Gianetti said, and after lunch they will meet with the journalists. Pogačar probably has a lot of questions waiting for him on the subject of the race in Italy and how he will combine it with the test in France and maybe even with the Olympic Games. The organizers of the first three-week test of the year surprised us yesterday with the news that the Slovenian champion will make his debut. Perhaps because of the Giro and the two individual time trials, he went to training with a special time trial bike. Komendčan also has a new coach. His now ex, Basque Inigo san Milan, has taken on more responsibilities at the Athletic Bilbao football club, and since looking after the world's number one cyclist is a full-time commitment, 37-year-old Spaniard Javier Sola is now taking care of his form. He joined the Emirates team last year, so far he has coached Domno Novak, Italian Diego Ulissi and British Adam Yates

Urska was always going to altitude. She mentioned it in an interview so it is possible. Her bike was on the uae team car today. Have to wonder when uae will expect her to sign for the women’s team 😅
At the moment Urska is borderline WT standard as there are still too many deficiencies in her skill set. Any she does perform well after Altitude so interested to see how she goes in the upcominup hillier races

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Wait what? I thought zone 2 was pretty straightforward?
I can’t speak of personal experience with him but he doesn’t define it via heart rate but simply as the threshold of 2 nmol/l LT1 in blood. For Pogacar this means 5.0-5.5W/kg. And the whole idea is that basically you barely touch your glycogen stores but rather fat until the deciding moment.

There are two books from Heinrich Bergmüller that was the coach behind Hermann Maiers success around 2000. Absolutely same concept. In The Hermann Maier Method he speaks about how Zone 2 training was absolutely revolutionary to Alpine Skiing. Others just tried to lift as heavy as they could and that was the training. First the laughed at Maier on his stationary bike at races, now everyone does it. Fit in 100 Days is just his method for the average joe, incl. buying a lactate testing machine, as similar to San Millan thats his homy grail.

So I do think recreational athletes do train way too much in too high zones with too high lactate levels, tiring the body and halting progress at some point. I certainly did.

That said, I would think every coach on WT level would know those basic concepts nowadays. And in the case of Pogacar, potentially his zone 2 has peaked and more focus on some intervalls to top it off is indeed needed. But then again - still a hard time believing San Millan would be totally negligent about such things either.

I don’t even know how it came to be that we’re actually discussing this. And by this, I mean the “fact” that a cycling coach that produced a guy who regularly gets compared to Merckx is supposedly a doorknob when it comes to cycling training and can be schooled by random forumites.

I mean the entire idea is so ridiculously bizarre I really hope none of the guys here take it seriously and are in fact just trolling back…

I don’t even know how it came to be that we’re actually discussing this. And by this, I mean the “fact” that a cycling coach that produced a guy who regularly gets compared to Merckx is supposedly a doorknob when it comes to cycling training and can be schooled by random forumites.

I mean the entire idea is so ridiculously bizarre I really hope none of the guys here take it seriously and are in fact just trolling back…
It's not worth giving importance or credibility to a guy who is just here doing stupid and irrelevant propaganda for Pogacar and mocking other users.

@Colonel has already completely exposed the fraud.

He lied about Yates' coach. It's San Millan and not Javier Sola, contrary to what he said.

He lied about bruynell. He said one week ago that he never talked to him, now he says he talked to him.

He said that Pogacar would only go for altitude training camp before the tour of France. It was a lie. He will do altitude training campo also before the Giro.

He said Pogacar can do 8.5 w/kg in 12 minutes. Obviously it's a lie, and he knows nothing about performance like @Colonel said.

Furthermore, he is not a man of his word. He said to leave this forum or ask them to ban him if this information about Pogacar just going to altitude before the Tour was wrong. He continues here doing propaganda with 4 accounts, mocking and insulting other users.

It's not worth giving importance or credibility to a guy who is just here doing stupid and irrelevant propaganda for Pogacar and mocking other users.

@Colonel has already completely exposed the fraud.

He lied about Yates' coach. It's San Millan and not Javier Sola, contrary to what he said.

He lied about bruynell. He said one week ago that he never talked to him, now he says he talked to him.

He said that Pogacar would only go for altitude training camp before the tour of France. It was a lie. He will do altitude training campo also before the Giro.

He said Pogacar can do 8.5 w/kg in 12 minutes. Obviously it's a lie, and he knows nothing about performance like @Colonel said.

Furthermore, he is not a man of his word. He said to leave this forum or ask them to ban him if this information about Pogacar just going to altitude before the Tour was wrong. He continues here doing propaganda with 4 accounts, mocking and insulting other users.
Why are you on a witch hunt?

@mou just talking about a rider and giving information, you are talking solely about him and following him around.

I wonder if there was ever in the history of this forum such antagonism towards a member just because he supports a cyclist and gives information about him, this army of haters wants to get rid of me at any cost and in a united way, and you will get rid of me, but no that's why because you beat me, I still stand behind everything that was said already,but because I realized that there are a lot more haters and trolls than the normal ones and I have nothing more to look for among such people, thanks to the exceptions, vudy, Salvarani, scribers and 4- 5 people more who are real fans of Pog and look at things realistically and know when I'm screwing up and when I'm not, cheers and good luck to you in this sea of hyenas around you, how sad it is

+100

I wonder if there was ever in the history of this forum such antagonism towards a member just because he supports a cyclist and gives information about him, this army of haters wants to get rid of me at any cost and in a united way, and you will get rid of me, but no that's why because you beat me, I still stand behind everything that was said already,but because I realized that there are a lot more haters and trolls than the normal ones and I have nothing more to look for among such people, thanks to the exceptions, vudy, Salvarani, scribers and 4- 5 people more who are real fans of Pog and look at things realistically and know when I'm screwing up and when I'm not, cheers and good luck to you in this sea of hyenas around you, how sad it is
I swims with the sharks bro and you preach the sermons!

Reactions: Sandisfan
And breathe.

I don’t think the Giro will be as easy as people think: that he can just win it in first week and then can just train for the last two weeks. Yes he really should win, but it is still a GT, it’s going to be hard on the legs no matter what. Also, there are question marks over his team.

If he stays on the bike, he really should win, but it’s definitely not the ideal preparation for TDF. I think he added Giro because the parcours is not too evil, he wants to win every single race and he hasn’t won a GT for almost three years, going for Giro in 2024 seems like a good idea to me.

Reactions: Didinho and Offline