• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel is Gold, Jerry, Gold! Men's Classic One-Day Race, April 14, 2024

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Amstel Gold (Men) 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not convinced by Van Der Poel tbh, his climbing hasn't been that good and just because he beat some random Kermesse riders and Lidl-Trek with some of the worst tactics I've ever seen in my life in a flat cobbles race, helped by a massive tailwind, doesn't mean he can go toe-to-toe with top shelf riders like Richard Carapaz, Benjamin Healy and Juan Ayuso on races with this kind of climbing. He has a good chance if it's passive and comes down to a sprint, 2019 was 5 years ago.

Not convinced by Van Der Poel tbh, his climbing hasn't been that good and just because he beat some random Kermesse riders and Lidl-Trek with some of the worst tactics I've ever seen in my life in a flat cobbles race, helped by a massive tailwind, doesn't mean he can go toe-to-toe with top shelf riders like Richard Carapaz, Benjamin Healy and Juan Ayuso on races with this kind of climbing. He has a good chance if it's passive and comes down to a sprint, 2019 was 5 years ago.
can't tell if serious. The climbs in this race seem a lot closer to the Koppenberg than penas blancas

Reactions: red_flanders
I can tell if Tim is serious. Here's a hint: he's not.
Are there any circumstances under which we could actually have a race instead of a beatdown of the kids by MVdP?
We've gotta drum up some hype somehow, get a bit of copium in the veins, everyone already acting like it's a done deal

He was poor on the climbs in the Tour last year, a bit heavier perhaps, maybe tired from Roubaix, elevation gain is much higher here than Flanders.

He's the favourite but not by anywhere near as much as he was in Flanders/Robaix imo, Liege not a chance.

We've gotta drum up some hype somehow, get a bit of copium in the veins, everyone already acting like it's a done deal

He was poor on the climbs in the Tour last year, a bit heavier perhaps, maybe tired from Roubaix, elevation gain is much higher here than Flanders.

He's the favourite but not by anywhere near as much as he was in Flanders/Robaix imo, Liege not a chance.
He will win AGR by over an hour and he has a chance in LBL

VDP will normally be the winner. Still in shape and a track that suits him. Curvy and with short but steep climbs. Pogacar is not participating.
Liege is different. Longer climbs. Maybe already past the peak of his condition...... and a Pogacar in topshape.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I honestly thought Pogacar was riding Amstel and so the winner was sure.
But now it seems he isn't on the start list, MvdP will win this bike race.

ps: I still see Remco on the start list: what's going on?

Pogacar was never going to ride it. Remco is obviously a mistake.

I honestly thought Pogacar was riding Amstel and so the winner was sure.
But now it seems he isn't on the start list, MvdP will win this bike race.

Being unable to gesture wildly, Remco‘s only occupation would be to solo away from everybody, making him unbeatable

He's been removed.

I'm just confused about why the preview text still claims the top competitors are Fuglsang, Matthews, and Mollema.