• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 453 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Norwegian women did it with Roiseland, Eckhoff and Tandrevold back in 2020 (also Hochfilzen)
I figured these would have likely done it at some point, but couldn't recall the specifics - the weirdness of the 2020-21 Covid season results rather skews perception there, because performance levels in the early season were so heavily dependent on where people were and their rules meaning until we got into January the results were a bit unrepresentative (not that those three aren't top level biathletes capable of podiums at any given time, but the results were exaggerated).

Richard is hilarious at the finish there, lol.

I have said this before but a few years ago the French women's shooting was hit and miss (mostly miss) and now it is one of the strong points. The men who used to have excellent shooting have gone in the totally opposite direction. Sports is strange sometimes.
Simon Fourcade may have been a great athlete in his time, but his race breakdown was always absolute trash and he would always blow up after starting hard and never learned from it. It's like he's taken people like Jacquelin who used to have great race breakdown and get stronger and have some great head to head races on final laps and made him into a meek mouse who runs out of gas way too soon. Seeing Fillon Maillet implode so meekly on the last lap of his relay leg in Antholz was really tragic too. OK, not so bad as Alexis Bœuf's Antholz relay leg in 2014 basically terminating his career on the spot, but still, for a guy who has been as good as Fillon Maillet has been to now be where he is when he really isn't that old and doesn't have that many miles on the clock, while previous junior standouts like Martin Perrillat Bottonet and Martin Bourgeois République are now barely competitive at the Coupe de France let alone on the international calendar, is alarming.

C'mon Sophia!

Laukli has a great chance for her first «normal» podium, Butcan she win? how much of a gap would she need on Diggins at the top to stay away? 10-12 seconds?
Too much for any chance. If she has a good gap and then Diggins catches her downhill and wins a sprint, it's going to turn very ugly very quickly. All that heavy machinery I had set aside for bulldozing Planche des Belles Filles will have to be re-routed to Alberta urgently.

Edit: yea, it's looking pretty crappy up in here. Diggins is now racing very smart in terms of how to get the win, but dear God is it ever disappointing racing to watch. Simon Gerransing her way to the win - yes she had to work for it because others tried to make the gap, but that doesn't mean that winning Northug-style, by adding nothing to the race and then winning a sprint, is anything other than disappointing for the spectacle. Way too many of these races end with long, protracted downhills into the stadium and Jessie is so strong on those downhills; she has a clear advantage downhill over any of the athletes that can distance her uphill over this kind of length of climb, and if she wasn't winning a sprint against Delphine Claudel I'd think there was something extremely wrong with her.

Last edited:
Too much for any chance. If she has a good gap and then Diggins catches her downhill and wins a sprint, it's going to turn very ugly very quickly. All that heavy machinery I had set aside for bulldozing Planche des Belles Filles will have to be re-routed to Alberta urgently.
:tearsofjoy: She did her best but wasn't dropping the top tier today, needs a longer climb. Good on Claudel for giving it a go but it was a forgone conclusion. Frida apparently finding the trip over the pond to be somewhat problematic?

Laukli played it safe for the sake of all of us and didnt drop the others on the last long climb. Felt like she burned her matches on lap 3.

Simon Fourcade may have been a great athlete in his time, but his race breakdown was always absolute trash and he would always blow up after starting hard and never learned from it. It's like he's taken people like Jacquelin who used to have great race breakdown and get stronger and have some great head to head races on final laps and made him into a meek mouse who runs out of gas way too soon. Seeing Fillon Maillet implode so meekly on the last lap of his relay leg in Antholz was really tragic too. OK, not so bad as Alexis Bœuf's Antholz relay leg in 2014 basically terminating his career on the spot, but still, for a guy who has been as good as Fillon Maillet has been to now be where he is when he really isn't that old and doesn't have that many miles on the clock, while previous junior standouts like Martin Perrillat Bottonet and Martin Bourgeois République are now barely competitive at the Coupe de France let alone on the international calendar, is alarming.

C'mon Sophia!
In terms of performance, Vincent Vittoz was top notch. The mens team pushed him out because (as I recall) they didn't appreciate his methods even though under him the mens team was a winning machine. Simon Fourcade is a nice guy but I don't get the impression he brings the same intensity as Vittoz.

C'mon Sophia!
I always thought Simon had some sort of health issue, you could always hear him wheezing through the forest.