• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 465 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Honestly, they had great crowds for those races. Thank God they had an idividual start on such a course, because getting away in a mass start race would have been almost impossible.

It would have been possible had they used the courses from the 2011 us junior nationals. The layout for the World Cup is easier than what was used in 2011. Teenagers skiing on harder courses than World Cup racers in their 20’s and 30’s. But are we really surprised by anything FIS does these days?

Honestly, they had great crowds for those races. Thank God they had an idividual start on such a course, because getting away in a mass start race would have been almost impossible.
100% agree; they used the course the only way which made sense. What really saved this was the 18cm (7") of snow and cold weather we got on Wednesday; before that the temps had been as high as 13c (55f) for days on end and things were looking ugly. There was enough manmade to hold the race but it just wouldn't have been the same, and now the temps are going to rise again right away next week. The Nordic ski gods definitely smiled on the Twin Cities the past 5 days.

You guys remember Gunde Svan from way back when?

(I had to rewatch some Olympic glory docs from when Norway's men didn't absolutely dominate everything.)
He had his peak before I was born, but he’s still a massive name in Sweden/Norway and is often in media. It’s not long ago he (and Wassberg) was critical in the media of the the way many top athletes today are listening too much to their personal coach and are not independent enough and therefore doesn’t learn to understand their body well enough (Frida and Ebba disagreed with him).

You guys remember Gunde Svan from way back when?

(I had to rewatch some Olympic glory docs from when Norway's men didn't absolutely dominate everything.)
Swedish national TV just released a great documentary about him. Hopefully they or someone else will add English subtitles so non-Scandinavians can watch it.
He had his peak before I was born, but he’s still a massive name in Sweden/Norway and is often in media. It’s not long ago he (and Wassberg) was critical in the media of the the way many top athletes today are listening too much to their personal coach and are not independent enough and therefore doesn’t learn to understand their body well enough (Frida and Ebba disagreed with him).
He has been involved in a lot of TV-shows over the year so most (especially the young) recognize him as a TV-host instead of a skiing hero. He is particularly associated with the Swedish version of Fort Boyard.

I couldn’t really understand his criticism of athletes listening to their coach instead of the body. My impression is the Swedish top athletes (on the women’s side atleast) listen a lot to their bodies but uses the seasoned coach for advises. Especially when it come to hard decisions like skipping competitions and training. Both Ebba and Frida have had the greatest success when they spent a lot of time together with their dedicated coach prior to competition. I think it’s a bigger problem in biathlon where they follow the program of the national coach which is designed to fit everyone in the team.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Also, never forget what happened in Lillehammer exactly 30 years ago ;)
GettyImages-1226740~0.jpg