• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Campagnolo - Any point?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Ya need either EPS or Di2...Serious? It's about bikes ya know, toys.

Demoed some bikes with Di2 at Breckenridge a few weeks ago. Feh, couldn't remember which lever to push. Then I tried a Foil with Red-22. One lever for each hand, one click or two. I was ready for it.

I'll post when and how my Force finally craps the bed, I promise.

And I won't whine or complain. I'll concede the last laugh.

ustabe said:
Demoed some bikes with Di2 at Breckenridge a few weeks ago. Feh, couldn't remember which lever to push. Then I tried a Foil with Red-22. One lever for each hand, one click or two. I was ready for it.

I'll post when and how my Force finally craps the bed, I promise.

E P S-2 levers like it should be, less connectors..more functional..like getting a nice watch rather than a Seiko or Citizen, gotta look for it. There aren't Audi dealers on every block like Toyota dealers either.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
E P S-2 levers like it should be, less connectors..more functional..like getting a nice watch rather than a Seiko or Citizen, gotta look for it. There aren't Audi dealers on every block like Toyota dealers either.

I'm sure. Maybe if my Cummins Diesel stock splits. After I put my daughter through college, pay off the house, trade my 11 year-old Mazda, and take my wife on a vacation. Bike bling is pretty low on the list.

How the market has changed. I ordered my first full Campagnolo kit, Super Record, from Performance, for my Gios. That was my main bike until 2007.

For a decade I'd been riding Record cobbled from a crashed Raleigh International. I'd been a Campy-only kind of guy until a bud showed up with a new Colnogo fitted with Dura-Ace. Didn't make me want to switch, but I had to say it wasn't bad. That was around '83.

ustabe said:
I'm sure. Maybe if my Cummins Diesel stock splits. After I put my daughter through college, pay off the house, trade my 11 year-old Mazda, and take my wife on a vacation. Bike bling is pretty low on the list.

How the market has changed. I ordered my first full Campagnolo kit, Super Record, from Performance, for my Gios. That was my main bike until 2007.

For a decade I'd been riding Record cobbled from a crashed Raleigh International. I'd been a Campy-only kind of guy until a bud showed up with a new Colnogo fitted with Dura-Ace. Didn't make me want to switch, but I had to say it wasn't bad. That was around '83.

DA9000 same $ as Record
Record EPS same $ as DA Di2
Athena EPS same $ as ultegra Di2

Chorus more money than 6800 but not by much. Athena aluminum less $.

Yep, I know..1985 Ciocc with Nuovo Record was $750..

hiero2 said:
Sounds like yer doin' an Aplus job so far. Nice looking bike, too.

I wanted to add one point in the convo. It's been said, but not directly. You probably don't need the difference you'd get by going Campy, or upgrading to a nicer gruppo at this point.

The fancy stuff is real nice when you are riding 5-10K miles per year, or more, or yer racing. Until you've got loads of experience, and until you are pushing your existing setup to the limits, you won't notice a lot of the differences talked about here. 105 is good gear. It'll work.

So, when you start trying to beat everyone to the finish on the group ride, or hang with the first guys to the top of the climbs, so long as what you've got is comfortable, you've got yourself a good ride. You start trying to hang with the local strong men and fast boys, then a missed shift will hurt, and you'll want to upgrade.

My commuting bike isn't even 10 speed, not to notice that the cogs and the rear derailleur don't match (different groupsets). Meh, it works ok. It messes up in the top gears on a regular basis, but since I'm not in a hurry, no biggy.

Cheers fella, I'm loving being back on the road at the moment. And laughing at the disapproving looks for wearing 5:10s ;)

105 is working brilliant for me so far, shifts well even under power, no missed shifts and a lovely smooth action. Hoods fit my hands too.

The bike is fantastic, it's much more than I need to commute but I can only afford to run one road bike at the moment. If I can get some money together over the next few months I'll probably put together a really cheap single speed for commuting, but for now I'll be running this.

First proper road ride with a make will be this week. I'm fine in terms of power from mountain biking but I'm guessing stamina may be a bit of an issue. I'll also be in flats and MTB shorts but I'm not buying bibs until I can afford some decent ones. They'll only get used for proper road riding so I don't see the point in having cheap ones.

Bustedknuckle said:
Ya need either EPS or Di2...Serious? It's about bikes ya know, toys.

Bah! Still running 9s Record on my TT and it's still running great too ;)

Some guy gave me a ribbing at Busselton 1/2 IM for it earlier this year - until I passed him on my way to a 2:05 bike split...

I'd do some unmentionable things for a chance to get my hands on some Record EPS though...

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Bah! Still running 9s Record on my TT and it's still running great too ;)

Some guy gave me a ribbing at Busselton 1/2 IM for it earlier this year - until I passed him on my way to a 2:05 bike split...

I have one bike with Chorus 9speed, bought the parts to convert it to 10 speed about 4 years ago. Still in the drawer. The 9 speed won't die and it's crisp. So I keep running 9speed on the DeRosa.

purcell said:
I have one bike with Chorus 9speed, bought the parts to convert it to 10 speed about 4 years ago. Still in the drawer. The 9 speed won't die and it's crisp. So I keep running 9speed on the DeRosa.
I have to say that it's as good a groupset as any I've owned. As good or better than the Dura Ace 7900 on my Super Six, even after I put on some Jagwire housings.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I have to say that it's as good a groupset as any I've owned. As good or better than the Dura Ace 7900 on my Super Six, even after I put on some Jagwire housings.

Yup,

I have a couple of older DT shifters and the rest are all 10 speed Ergo, old style. centaur, Chorus and Record.

Really good stuff, will outlast me, all of it. The irony is when 11 speed came out I stocked up on NOS 10 speed shifters, old style. Just so I would always have it. Don't think I will ever break into the stash as the stuff just doesn't wear out.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
purcell said:
Yup,

I have a couple of older DT shifters and the rest are all 10 speed Ergo, old style. centaur, Chorus and Record.

Really good stuff, will outlast me, all of it. The irony is when 11 speed came out I stocked up on NOS 10 speed shifters, old style. Just so I would always have it. Don't think I will ever break into the stash as the stuff just doesn't wear out.

I've used various combinations of Athena, Centaur, Chorus and Record gear since 1997, it's lasted so long that I've had to invent dubious excuses for replacing it with newer equipment.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
RE-2015-guarnitura-630x419.jpg

Radical new design from Campagnolo :)

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I was being a bit mischevious. Point is Campag have aped the Shimano design and gone 4 arm.

The Campag effort is aesthetically pleasing but apart from DA all the Shimano 4 arms look really odd.

For sheer ease of maintenance I'd still pick HT2 over PT/UT.

The nail in Campagnolo's coffin is that Shimano is just too good, too big, and Campagnolo cannot compete on anything, not price, not build quality, not innovation, not function.

For decades, Italian products held a sort of cachet that was exploited to death in the marketing, that somehow they contained a bit of the 'soul of cycling'.

New entrants into cycling will not have a clue what that was about, and that in itself is a clear indication why Csmpag is all but gone.