• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Arnaud De Lie’s Hips Don’t Lie Discussion Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sporza's unnamed 'spy in the peloton' (or some journalist making sh*t up) says De Lie "looks a bit nervous".
Considering that De Lie is taking on the big boys now with everyone and his dog knowing how good he is, it's not surprising he's having a tougher time (even though it's just March, so a bit early to panic).

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ieves-pressure-is-getting-to-belgian-prospect
"You can also tell by his behaviour. De Lie looks a bit nervous," says the spy in his latest report for Sporza. "The fact that he has not yet won causes unrest in his head. It is something he is confronted with for the first time in his career."

"With a stage win in Paris-Nice, De Lie could well be set for a fruitful spring. He will want to seize every opportunity he gets in the Race to the Sun."

Looking at Paris-Nice, only stage 2, or maybe 5 as well, will give De Lie any chance of a win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wielerflits claims that his MSR participation is in jeopardy. Would be the next blow to an already troubling preseason.

To be honest, De Lie might just as well skip MSR as he'd be better off getting back to 100%. It's not as though he's a red hot favourite and there's some minor one day races he can do instead.

Yeah but those minor races he's riding now are pretty dangerous ones. Not really a fan of it but ok, I guess his problem is more mentally right now and he needs that win. He ain't winning MSR, denain is a good chance IF he stays out of throuble. But on the other hand, the chance he crashes in one of those 2 races is not small at all.

In general I'm assuming his injury's are healed as he's racing this week and it's just a form thing. That's positive I guess. But who knows, they also let him start PN while obviously being injured.

Not with De Lie’s form this year.
If Gerald Ciolek can win MSR then I think De Lie can manage it
Wins like those of Ciolek and Goss at MSR occurred when they barely hung on to the lead group of puncheurs as they created the Poggio, and then sat on for the sprint win. In recent years that “punch” by puncheurs has been too much for any true sprinters to hang on. And with Pogacar and MVDP there the same will likely be true this year.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Wins like those of Ciolek and Goss at MSR occurred when they barely hung on to the lead group of puncheurs as they created the Poggio, and then sat on for the sprint win. In recent years that “punch” by puncheurs has been too much for any true sprinters to hang on. And with Pogacar and MVDP there the same will likely be true this year.
This is too easy and diminishes those Ciolek and Goss victories somewhat. Very true, they did nothing more than hanging on and following wheels, but at the same time those two editions are some of the hardest Sanremo has ever seen. Goss went to the Poggio in a group of about thirty riders after seeing rain all day, whereas Ciolek won a race that had to be shortened due to much more rain and even hail. You know who'd flourish in those conditions? De Lie.

What did play into their hands is Pozzato tactics of sucking the wheel of Gilbert for 300 kilometers. Pogacar would have trouble staying away too if Van Aert did nothing but suck his wheel like a pacifier.

These " small races nobody cares about" are the lifeblood of pro-cycling, and give guys and young uns a chance to shine. A lot of people put their time and energy (and money) into these so called "s**t races" so I think we should be grateful that they do.

Sure, but if your big goal is to win a big race a couple of weeks later, you have more to lose than to gain by starting there.

Reactions: Keldergoat
These " small races nobody cares about" are the lifeblood of pro-cycling, and give guys and young uns a chance to shine. A lot of people put their time and energy (and money) into these so called "s**t races" so I think we should be grateful that they do.
You can equally appreciate smaller races, the organizers behind and the effort they put into it and have your doubts on De Lie's calendar changes. This is the winner of Quebec, was one of the strongest in de Omloop, I fully get the slight disappointment when such a rider doesn't compete for a monument.