• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 472 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
She only missed 2 and it still couldn't have gone much worse for Tandrevold.

At least she secured the sprint globe and was able to overtake a few people on the last lap. Also since it weren't the last shots she missed, she did well enough to avoid more misses.

But you obviously have to say that Vittozzi has the advantage right now. The all French fight for 3rd is harder to predict the outcome of.

While I'm not that keen on the Norwegian domination on the men's side of the sport, I do love me some Ingrid Landmark Tandrevold, she's a very sympathetic and entertaining character.

At the same time, I was always Team Lisa when it was about the two Italians battling one another and remain so. Doro's shooting may be exciting but otherwise she doesn't really do anything for me whereas Vittozzi is a quintessential bridesmaid, having the skillset to always be there or thereabouts but without winning all that much so her winning the overall after the points system was changed to make winning more important is all the cooler.

.At the same time, I was always Team Lisa when it was about the two Italians battling one another and remain so. Doro's shooting may be exciting but otherwise she doesn't really do anything for me whereas Vittozzi is a quintessential bridesmaid, having the skillset to always be there or thereabouts but without winning all that much so her winning the overall after the points system was changed to make winning more important is all the cooler.
She's also timed her form to perfection. 2nd fastest again yesterday. Though only 14 secomds faster than Tandrevold so it really is going to be about the range this weekend, i just dont see how she doesnt win from here.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's a lot.
This year she was already over 5 sec ahead of Skistad in the Canmore skating qualifier and nearly 5 sec ahead of the 3rd placed Svahn in the Minneapolis qualifier (Diggins was 2nd and also over 4sec behind). Sure, one could say that those were skating sprints, but now she has won 10 qualifiers in a row, usually pretty dominant.

Svahn and Skistad can beat her on the finishing straight with their top speed, but her ability to go full gas from the start in a sprint is unmatched.

Biggest gap ever between first and second in a biathlon sprint race.

Svahn might actually win the overall in XC skiing if Diggins doesn't have a good weekend.
Tomorrow is really huge; Diggins is really going to need a good day. And Sunday, normally advantage Jessie, is a big question mark as well. How popular is Svahn in the team? Any chance Sweden does a team 'soft pedal' to give Linn a better shot at the race coming down to sprint? They did it last year for Dahlqvist, wouldn't put it past them again.

Tomorrow is really huge; Diggins is really going to need a good day. And Sunday, normally advantage Jessie, is a big question mark as well. How popular is Svahn in the team? Any chance Sweden does a team 'soft pedal' to give Linn a better shot at the race coming down to sprint? They did it last year for Dahlqvist, wouldn't put it past them again.
Svahn and Karlsson are like best friends, together with Dahlqvist, Ilar and to some extent Lundgren they form a team within the swedish team. Then you have another group with Ribom, Sundling and Andersson.

I know FIS warned them of trying something against Diggins during Tour de Ski and Riboms DQ Tuesday is a sign FIS is watching them. Honestly I don’t think they could do much. Karlsson will probably try to drop Diggins and if that succeed I can see her sacrificing her own chances pulling to maintain the gap.

Svahn and Karlsson are like best friends, together with Dahlqvist, Ilar and to some extent Lundgren they form a team within the swedish team. Then you have another group with Ribom, Sundling and Andersson.

I know FIS warned them of trying something against Diggins during Tour de Ski and Riboms DQ Tuesday is a sign FIS is watching them. Honestly I don’t think they could do much. Karlsson will probably try to drop Diggins and if that succeed I can see her sacrificing her own chances pulling to maintain the gap.
Btw, what's the deal between Skistad and the Swedish clique? She seems pretty likable and shy otherwise.

Heavy snow at the start today too; that should make things even more interesting....

She also seems to be skiing a little tired; end of the season and/or Birkie catching up with her?
I think it was very stupid to do the Birkie (when WC overall the big prize, but to be fair to Diggins Kershaw had a very good explanation as to why it on a personal level made a lot of sense for Diggins to do the Birkie) and thats the main reason she was very bad in Lahti and lost a lot of points there.

Then I think it’s hard to read to much into her form since Lahti. Classic sprints in Drammen and Falun are hard for the type of skier she is. Good results in these for a skier with the profile of Diggins are maybe more dependable on the skis and how the heats are being raced and the positioning than form.

With questionable form and difficult conditions it can really go both ways today.