• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 473 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think it was very stupid to do the Birkie (when WC overall the big prize, but to be fair to Diggins Kershaw had a very good explanation as to why it on a personal level made a lot of sense for Diggins to do the Birkie) and thats the main reason she was very bad in Lahti and lost a lot of points there.

Then I think it’s hard to read to much into her form since Lahti. Classic sprints in Drammen and Falun are hard for the type of skier she is. Good results in these for a skier with the profile of Diggins are maybe more dependable on the skis and how the heats are being raced and the positioning than form.

With questionable form and difficult conditions it can really go both ways today.
Yeah, if she was going to do the Birkie close to her prime (which as you alluded to on a personal level was super important to her) it had to be in this, a non-championship year. She really does care about her Midwest USA roots and I know it might seem crazy to a European but I'm pretty sure to Jessie it's a fair tradeoff this season. Good post though as usual. So far Jessie looks to be more than rising to the challenge.

I think it was very stupid to do the Birkie (when WC overall the big prize, but to be fair to Diggins Kershaw had a very good explanation as to why it on a personal level made a lot of sense for Diggins to do the Birkie) and thats the main reason she was very bad in Lahti and lost a lot of points there.

Then I think it’s hard to read to much into her form since Lahti. Classic sprints in Drammen and Falun are hard for the type of skier she is. Good results in these for a skier with the profile of Diggins are maybe more dependable on the skis and how the heats are being raced and the positioning than form.

With questionable form and difficult conditions it can really go both ways today.
I don't think it was stupid because she's already won a WC overall, even if that was affected by the Covid absences, and it's a long-standing personal ambition. If she hadn't already got a globe it might be a different story of course, but in the circumstances, if she feels that a chance to win the race that she ordinarily wouldn't have had and was given the opportunity to by serendipitous race scheduling (albeit as I've said before I think that whole leg of the World Cup was about trying to engineer the home triumph for her), then why wouldn't she? In any other season with the Worlds or Olympics as a target and travelling trans-Atlantic between World Cups it's just not feasible, but this year it was super convenient for her to enter it.

Reactions: dobrien
I don't think it was stupid because she's already won a WC overall
I was perhaps a bit imprecise. I meant that if WC Overall was the only goal it was stupid, but I know that’s not the case (which is what Kershaw were saying and that I agree with).

And now she’s done both, won the Birkie and today more or less decided the overall. An amazing season really.

Reactions: dobrien