• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overrated (good) rider in the peloton?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is currently the most overrated rider among the stars of the peloton?

• Total voters
Also Bla-BlaBroecks has to be second most overrated. He is similar to Remco in having too many weak sides. Can't sprint, descend or ITT, also not blowing anyone away with his climbing. It's hard to be the best all-around riders, which is often required to win a GT...

Still young, but the time is clicking...
I agree with your choice of Uijtdebroeks. I'm not sure about Evenepoel. "Remco having too many weak sides" That is not only exagerated (although he has weaker points). But when using those "too many weak sides" to Evenepoel, why not doing this with the other riders on the list. Most of the riders on the list have far more "weak sides" than Evenepoel. You are completely lacking in consistency.

Reactions: jmdirt
Yes I know you meant 2024. I mean that 5% means in 20 simulations of the Tour this year you put him top 10 in only 1.

I think he can range anything from 3rd to something like the Vuelta, outside of top 10+stage wins in break. The last two years 10th has been around 25 minutes down. I think hes very likely to manage a top 10, and top 5 (3-5) is possible if he stays healthy and doesnt crash. We’ll see in July.

That's fair. I know it's a controversial take.

Yes, I really do believe the route is that hard for someone who is prone to having mediocre / bad days in the high mountains, as well as someone who struggles (struggled?) on gravel, as well as someone who has - in my opinion - faded in every GT he has entered.

I also take into account that it is the Tour. It's a different ball game altogether, IMO. The Tour squads of Visma and UAE for starters. The pace on the climbs. The positioning, for someone who's not a natural at that. To me the Tour is a big deal.

I also question the decisions made by Evenepoel / the team. Prioritizing a possible easy P-N win over the valuable experience he could have had racing Strade is one of them. Questions about his gravel skills / power output still remain. TILL THIS DAY [/Deontay Wilder]. I maintain that if Evenepoel does vastly overperform GC-wise, according to my maybe ridiculously low expectations, at least, that he will be in the top 4 on GC or so until stage 19. I can't see him defending an 8th place at, say, 15 minutes back after the Pyrenees. He doesn't have that mindset at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
It is a road racing subforum though, and Podcock is not those things on the road. He is a hellavu cross country racer, and a very, very good cross racer. He is good on the road, don't get me wrong, but often wayyyy overhyped by the media and some posters.
He suffers from the weight of expectations by the anglophone cycling media. Hé also has the misfortune of going up against generational riders like Pog, Mvdp and Remco in his best races.

I haven't followed the entire discussion so maybe someone has already written something along similar lines but is Pidcock really overrated? Like, absolutely nobody thinks he is on the level of Pog, MvdP or even WvA. He is very clearly a big step below all those guys but I feel like that's precisely how most people see him. Really good but not really the best at anything.

So, unless you are retired, which gives you the opportunity to follow races and comment during the day ?
I have no idea what you're trying to say. When you said you've seen other people saying similar things "without reactions" I simply added a joke about how I don't have time to react to every poor wording. It's allowed to react to things you see and think about, even if you dont react to similar things that you dont notice.

My point was simple, it's imo stupid to say that a rider WOULD'VE won the Giro, when there is nowhere near enough evidence to back it up given he had to DNF after 9 stages. He could've won or he could've lost, no one knows and there is no answer. It's the same whether it's about Remco or about other riders.

You said "But I have read the same about other riders..... without reactions." and I think that's a very weak argument. Wording things poorly because other people also wording things poorly isn't a good explanation. Wordings like "Remco wouldve won that or that" about races he didn't win is probably one of the reasons why a lot of people in here think he's overrated.

Not enough fighting in this thread. How about:
Who is the most overrated forum member?
I resemble that remark. I Nominate myself as most overrated forum member. :cool:

Sorry about the lag in responding but had things that had to be taken care of limited time here the last three days/nights. With thousand(s) of post to read will do my best to catch up on the Wisdom written here. ;)

Last edited:
I resemble that remark. I Nominate myself as most overrated forum member. :cool:

Sorry about the lag in responding but had things that had to be taken care of limited time here the last three days/nights. With thousand(s) of post to read will do my best to catch up on the Wisdom written here. ;)

I think you're underrated, but all your reactions clearly means you overrate everyone else (well apart from me, of course ;) )

I have no idea what you're trying to say. When you said you've seen other people saying similar things "without reactions" I simply added a joke about how I don't have time to react to every poor wording. It's allowed to react to things you see and think about, even if you dont react to similar things that you dont notice.

My point was simple, it's imo stupid to say that a rider WOULD'VE won the Giro, when there is nowhere near enough evidence to back it up given he had to DNF after 9 stages. He could've won or he could've lost, no one knows and there is no answer. It's the same whether it's about Remco or about other riders.

You said "But I have read the same about other riders..... without reactions." and I think that's a very weak argument. Wording things poorly because other people also wording things poorly isn't a good explanation. Wordings like "Remco wouldve won that or that" about races he didn't win is probably one of the reasons why a lot of people in here think he's overrated.
But why use this argument only against Evenepoel ? How many times have we read here on this forum that Evenepoel WOULDN'T have won the Giro 2020 or WOULDN'T have won the Tour 23 ? Even by participating (he had to cancel the Giro 20 after his crash in Lombardia, but was the top favorite). After his Covid-abandon in the Giro last year, there was a discussion about Evenepoel eventually participating at the Tour. Again, we could read here : Evenepoel wouldn't have won the Tour anyway. In both cases it should have been : Evenepoel could or could'n have won that Giro 20 and that Tour 23.

So, again. You are completely inconsistent only reacting at my post, and not at other similar posts. Poorly, yes indeed.

Being overrated or not is not the same as being a mediocre, good or excellent rider.
Even Merckx could be overrated at his own time .
Being overrated amounts to the difference between the real image (skills, palmares, likely wins) and perceived image (fan image + self-image).

With that there's only one winner: Remco.

Reactions: KOM
Being overrated or not is not the same as being a mediocre, good or excellent rider.
Being overrated amounts to the difference between the real image (skills, palmares, likely wins) and perceived image (fan image + self-image).

It's clear you don't understand at all the question. Anyway, using your criteria, there are other candidates for the most overrated rider. In the list or not. Evenepoel would end in the middle using your criteria. Almeida for example would end at the top. As we can see in Catalunya again. Almeida who thougt he could or would be a leader. Wanting to earn as much a a leader. Now only the third or fourth domestique in a row for Pogacar.

Almeida is preparing for the Tour and he was sick in TA. He came to help and improve his form towards the Tour and he is happy to work to Pogacar...who wouldn't work for Pogacar, really? It would be strange for a rider to shift from 3rd in Giro to domestique in the following season.

Last time I replyed to your "post" I got banned. So I'll not downgrade my time again with you.

Last edited:

No....daniel martinez is more overrated. The monster climber performer won in alto de foia and after that, it disappeared again.

• Wow
I haven't followed the entire discussion so maybe someone has already written something along similar lines but is Pidcock really overrated? Like, absolutely nobody thinks he is on the level of Pog, MvdP or even WvA. He is very clearly a big step below all those guys but I feel like that's precisely how most people see him. Really good but not really the best at anything.
I actually have an impression that Pidcock is underrated, because I only ever see comments about how he's overrated and overhyped, while I actually alomst never see comments hyping or rating him over his actual level.
That's maybe because I don't consume much Anglophone cycling media. But that would mean Pidcock is underrated outside of Anglophone cycling media.
The guy almost won AGR in his neo-pro season. And last year he was 1st in SB, 2nd in LBL and 3rd in AGR- I think that's the best classics results anyone had in 2023 outside of Van der Poel, Van Aert, Pogacar and Evenepoel and as you said- literally nobody ever rates him as equal to these guys, so I don't really see how he could be overrated.

As I said earlier in this thread- the most overrated guy is definetely not the one who ever wins in such a poll (because if you actually overrate someone, you'll never vote for them being overrated) and Pidcock is a perfect illustration of what I was saying.

Reactions: Cookster15
But why use this argument only against Evenepoel ? How many times have we read here on this forum that Evenepoel WOULDN'T have won the Giro 2020 or WOULDN'T have won the Tour 23 ? Even by participating (he had to cancel the Giro 20 after his crash in Lombardia, but was the top favorite). After his Covid-abandon in the Giro last year, there was a discussion about Evenepoel eventually participating at the Tour. Again, we could read here : Evenepoel wouldn't have won the Tour anyway. In both cases it should have been : Evenepoel could or could'n have won that Giro 20 and that Tour 23.

So, again. You are completely inconsistent only reacting at my post, and not at other similar posts. Poorly, yes indeed.
You have no reason to say Ive never reacted to the opposite unless you have gone back and read through my posts again. Im sure Ive done it, so feel free to look through and claim im not doing it.

With the part I have marked in bold from your post you are literally saying I was right, so thanks. No need to imply things about my personal life and my abilities as an employer.,

Well it's looks like Tom Pidock has won, does this comprehensive defeat of all comers mean he is no longer over rated.
I think he is not overrated among forum members or fans. Probably overrated among members of the english speaking media. I have heard them talk about him quite a lot, inclusive that INEOS has a potential TdF winner and they don't know it. That could be one of the reasons why He is the big winner here.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O