• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent-Wevelgem (men’s) 2024 (Sunday, March 24)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Breakaway buddies!
Clipboard.png

Yes I think someone called Pedersen second rate not even close to Van Aert. Maybe he cannot win at RVV or on similar courses but MP is anything but a tier 2 rider.
MP is still not close to WvA. If you had WvA in the situation Pedersen was in (in a seat, drafting MvdP), he would have pulled this off as well (or no: he would have messed up the sprint).

Almost exactly, yes. Basically did what Van Aert didn't dare in Ronde 2020.
Well Van Aert has lost or almost lost a few sprints going from too far himself.

I think the narrative that it's about 'sprint after a hard race' is a bit misplaced here. The feature that matters is recovery time after the last super hard effort, and that one has been 30 minutes. Pedersen gets torched every time after the Poggio, and at the WC they also had a hill 2km before the finish and he got beaten by Pog there too after going from too far.

Embarrassing from Intermarche...

had so many guys in the group still and not one of them helped with the chase.
blocking the road at points.
then not even doing a proper lead-out for Girmay...

like, what is that?

When they had four guys yet Soundal and Visma were doing the work to bring them back.

Basically both cowardly and tactic-less at the same time.

Now, Girmay likely does not win anyway, but I just cant for the life of me see what they were doing unless their whole plan was to come 3rd and the guys just switched off and did not get in position quick enough with around 2km to go.