• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2024, one day monument, April 7

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Winner of PR?

• Total voters
The most radical solution would be to use the chicane between the train tracks and the cobbles, forcing the riders to an almost stand-still.

vHrBimv.png
They can do that 20 times in the parking at the left before the train tracks

Favourite secteurs for me:
27. Saint Python. Just because it's long.
20. Haveluy: great, nervous run in, muddy halfway, often carnage before Arenberg.
17. Hornain: The iconic views of the water towers at the beginning of the stretch, and the fact it's neverending. Always a great piece of the race. Too early to go but some can't just hold themselves and will force the pace. This is where the magic happened in 1996 when Tafi ripped open the race:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2LnJ1esSo

12. Bersee: another long stretch, where many miss the left-hand curve (like those 3 from Ineos some years ago). There is always action as some want to anticipate for Mons-en-Pevele
11. Mons-en-Pevele: the last couple of years you see riders going in this secteur very early as it's hard to make the selection after the last left-hand curve.
5. Camphin-en-pevele: I find this one quite similar to Haveluy: first going West, one 90 degree curve and then going North.

How much Jägermeister you need to drink to come to the conclusion of increasing safety by additional danger!?
I think it is possible that slowing for the chicane (they will be fighting hard before that to be in front) will be marginally safer than full throttle into a wet section of some of the worst cobbles. At the speeds they are now riding, full throttle into Arenberg is going to be insanely dangerous. In reality, there isn't a good way to minimize the danger of any of the sectors, except for taking them out. Yay everbody, lets do a Paris-Roubaix on tarmac only!!!??? I'm all for rider safety, but if it rains, the only way to ensure that is to stay on the porch.

Reactions: tobydawq
It'll still be Naesen.
Is Lawrence in the shadow of his brother? Oliver was a fine rider, but I haven't seen much from him for a few years.
Oliver is good this year, top10 at Flanders, also was visible at G-W and got 11th, 4th in Omloop. That's top-level results for him. He just doesn't attack anymore, hiding in the shadows, then striking in the sprint

Oliver is good this year, top10 at Flanders, also was visible at G-W and got 11th, 4th in Omloop. That's top-level results for him. He just doesn't attack anymore, hiding in the shadows, then striking in the sprint
Old news
Oliver was 4th in Omloop, 11th in GW and 7th in RVV last Sunday and one of the strongest in his group leading the chase. He should be excellent in Roubaix but it hasn't shown for several reasons. I feel he's more or less back where he lost it (in the corona years). The competition ofcourse has improved but he's still a solid cobbled-classics rider.
I had him twice in my list as I was thinking of separating sub-favourites from favourites (besides the one and only top favourite) and wasn't sure where to place Naesen and some other riders. Every year, you see one or several strong riders having an excellent race in PR, but it's hard to predict who will last the longest.
And I would only trust a Belgian on this.

Reactions: Volderke
Sounds like there's at least some rider agreement on the chicane idea.

"I wrote to the riders, warning them that there would be greater braking before the Trouée," Gouvenou explained.

"They told me that they preferred to brake hard and risk falling on the tarmac rather than entering the Trouée at 60 km/h."

"The riders are a little on edge and are asking us for a little more security to enter the trouée, that doesn't seem illogical to us," Gouvenou said.

Reactions: Sandisfan

"I wrote to the riders, warning them that there would be greater braking before the Trouée," Gouvenou explained.

"They told me that they preferred to brake hard and risk falling on the tarmac rather than entering the Trouée at 60 km/h."

"The riders are a little on edge and are asking us for a little more security to enter the trouée, that doesn't seem illogical to us," Gouvenou said.
There’s also usually agreement on shortening races in the rain and taking unnecessary climbs out of already hard mountain stages, neutralizing certain descents and of course making sure no Giro stages are over 200km.

Reactions: red_flanders

It’s a 180-rider peloton and you heard this “preference” from how many?

There’s also usually agreement on shortening races in the rain and taking unnecessary climbs out of already hard mountain stages, neutralizing certain descents and of course making sure no Giro stages are over 200km.
Yep. I'm just passing along info, not saying I'm excited about it. I am interested in what it might do to the racing, as I think Volderke's points about the speed are good ones.

It’s a 180-rider peloton and you heard this “preference” from how many?
"I" didn't hear anything. I quoted an article which I linked. Spoiler: Exactly to your point, they don't say, which is why I said "at least some".

Folks, this ain't Twitter. Everything doesn't have to be a battle.

Ok, last night I had a dream where Alexander Kristoff won this race from the breakaway. It was very vivid actually and MVDP was solo and catching him fast but not fast enough. MVDP also was involved in a huge crash earlier and that held him back and let Kristoff win, but a win is a win and it's going to happen! I just saw the future

Reactions: Sandisfan