• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Butterfly Effect

Page 175 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Great" news it isn't worse, it looked horrible, but it is still a serious dent in the Tour preparation.

Broken ribs take around 6 weeks to mend, and throughout that time breathing is restricted which significantly hampers training.

Crash looked weird too - many of the riders seemed to crash without contact with others, so the road must have been exceptionally slippery or bumpy in that corner.

Obviously we'll find out more details in the coming days and weeks but I think there's a decent chance it won't affect him at all for the Tour

If Pog's wrist fracture in Liège last year affected his TdF, then there's no way Vingegaard isn't affected by this.

I think people should just be 'relieved' he's okay & it doesn't look career ending.

If Pog's wrist fracture in Liège last year affected his TdF, then there's no way Vingegaard isn't affected by this.

I think people should just be 'relieved' he's okay & it doesn't look career ending.
I still think there's at least a fair chance he's not affected. Wrists are different from collarbones and ribs. Every situation is different of course, and we don't know all of the details but while a wrist may seem minor there a ton of bones in that area and it wouldn't surprise me at all that the wrist would take longer to come back from. That was certainly the case for me.

I still think there's at least a fair chance he's not affected. Wrists are different from collarbones and ribs. Every situation is different of course, and we don't know all of the details but while a wrist may seem minor there a ton of bones in that area and it wouldn't surprise me at all that the wrist would take longer to come back from. That was certainly the case for me.

Well, I'm also looking at the impact he took. Just visually, i.e. he almost came to a sudden stop after colliding with a pole. His body took a serious blow.

I think fans (& even just people who want a great TdF from a neutral standpoint) obviously want good news but as always I think it should just be 'wait & see'. Fractures, breaks, bruises & shocks aren't all equal, nor is the recovery.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jaylew
Even if doesn't go to the Tour, at least it's not a career ending injury, and certainly he is on to the Vuelta.
He (almost) certainly goes to the Tour and will be competitive. The only thing is, not all fractures are equal and heal equally well but with the collarbone you are back on the bike in max. 10 days (stationary), with the ribs one has to see a bit (but I would assume they would have mentioned a punctured lung or any more serious complication for that matter). I would speculate that its rather comparable to Pogacar last year from the "time out" at very first sight. Happened even some weeks earlier, which may play in Vingegaards cards slightly.

In any way - good news under the circumstances in my opinion.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and Froome
He (almost) certainly goes to the Tour and will be competitive. The only thing is, not all fractures are equal and heal equally well but with the collarbone you are back on the bike in max. 10 days (stationary), with the ribs one has to see a bit (but I would assume they would have mentioned a punctured lung or any more serious complication for that matter). I would speculate that its rather comparable to Pogacar last year from the "time out" at very first sight. Happened even some weeks earlier, which may play in Vingegaards cards slightly.

In any way - good news under the circumstances in my opinion.
We hope that scenario, for a good race in July.

If he enters in the Tour in a acceptable shape, he can also survive and improve the shape in the first 2 weeks, before the last week where everything will be decided. The Tour 2024 is backloaded, all important in the last 9 days of racing.

Let's see how it goes.

Reactions: ppanther92
He moved one leg while lying on the ground, he couldn´t do that with a serious injury of his spine, or?
You could, but shouldn't.
Same injuries as Wout's, just a week apart. Crazy, but like some said it could've been worse. Speedy recovery.
Hopefully the sternum is stable and doesn't need intervention. The situation sounds a little optimistic and, by comparison; would be much better off than Pogacar's wrist injury. We all know how that prep panned out for Le Tour.
You can't duplicate outdoor hard efforts adequately on a stationary bike.

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Well now he'll have time to return to the fish factory for a few weeks and come back even stronger.
Having had injuries before might make it easier for him, at least mentally, to get through it.
I think you are correct. Back in 2017 he broke a femur, which obviously is a far far worse injury. Held him out for almost 9 months.

This injury is under the circumstances not too bad.

However in my opinion he will have it way harder than e.g. pogacar last year, as broken ribs can hinder your breathing, which is the most important when exercising sports which require high stamina like running or cycling. A broken collarbone is not the problem.

Reactions: Mayomaniac