• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 176 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think he will be able to compete in the Tour. However, he doesn't have time to gain race sharpness during the Tour. The first stage screams for a long range attack by Pogacar and if he is really undercooked, he can be in big troubles there. And other thing that it will not help is the fact we have a important mountain stage already in stage 4. We all know the race will not be won there but Vingegaard (and Remco too) can definetly lose the race in Galibier.

I think he will be able to compete in the Tour. However, he doesn't have time to gain race sharpness during the Tour. The first stage screams for a long range attack by Pogacar and if he is really undercooked, he can be in big troubles there. And other thing that it will not help is the fact we have a important mountain stage already in stage 4. We all know the race will not be won there but Vingegaard (and Remco too) can definetly lose the race in Galibier.

As for now Pogi and Vingo are the only ones able to battle each other and give something interesting.

If one of them is in peak shape and other one isn't able to do anything, chances are it's going to be a boring TdF.

Reactions: glassmoon
I think you are correct. Back in 2017 he broke a femur, which obviously is a far far worse injury. Held him out for almost 9 months.

This injury is under the circumstances not too bad.

However in my opinion he will have it way harder than e.g. pogacar last year, as broken ribs can hinder your breathing, which is the most important when exercising sports which require high stamina like running or cycling. A broken collarbone is not the problem.
I've had broken ribs, they didn't impact my breathing. It's much worse to injure a complicated joint, and there aren't many more complicated than a wrist.

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I've had broken ribs, they didn't impact my breathing. It's much worse to injure a complicated joint, and there aren't many more complicated than a wrist.
I think it's stupid to compare pogi and jonas' injuries. However saying that a broken wrist is worse, well that is just stupid. Pogi could be one the hometrainer on DAY 1 after his surgery. I agree a broken wrist can result in a more complicated healing, but it is absolutely not worse than this.

Secondly injuries hit different. We don't now if jonas will heal fast, or if it will be a longer process. We must wait and see.

I think it's stupid to compare pogi and jonas' injuries. However saying that a broken wrist is worse, well that is just stupid. Pogi could be one the hometrainer on DAY 1 after his surgery. I agree a broken wrist can result in a more complicated healing, but it is absolutely not worse than this.

Secondly injuries hit different. We don't now if jonas will heal fast, or if it will be a longer process. We must wait and see.
Spoken like a sideline expert. Or Faninfant.
You don't ride the road on a wrist recovery until it's healed enough to be stable, allow for all hand function and not transmitting sudden nerve pain at every pothole. Same with key broken fingers.
If you have a broken collarbone you can ride on the trainer the next day; but probably aren't grabbing the bars with both hands. Uncomfortable but totally do-able.
If Jona's scapula is displaced and it requires surgery that'll be several weeks and likely a month or two before he's allowed on the road.
This issue in both cases is the time before intensity can occur both indoors and out.

I wouldn't call anyone here stupid, particularly without checking historical discussions on the matters at hand.

There is a difference comparing recovery time as a proff cyclist (which i did) vs saying a injury isn't too bad (which you did).
you are tilting at windmills

anyway I was also worried that jonas's career was over based on his refusal to sit up but I guess that's just the protocol his creators programmed, similar to a di2 rear der's crash protection mode

All injuries are different. I’ve had broken ribs and it definitely affected my breathing. A time trial or intense climb would be a very painful ordeal. But we don’t know how bad Vingegaard’s breaks are yet.

Spoken like a sideline expert. Or Faninfant.
You don't ride the road on a wrist recovery until it's healed enough to be stable, allow for all hand function and not transmitting sudden nerve pain at every pothole. Same with key broken fingers.
If you have a broken collarbone you can ride on the trainer the next day; but probably aren't grabbing the bars with both hands. Uncomfortable but totally do-able.
If Jona's scapula is displaced and it requires surgery that'll be several weeks and likely a month or two before he's allowed on the road.
This issue in both cases is the time before intensity can occur both indoors and out.

I wouldn't call anyone here stupid, particularly without checking historical discussions on the matters at hand.
I really have no horse in this race, but I did read up on this recently. Pogacar was going to take a break and start building up a new peak the day after the crash. He was on the home trainer about one week after. Now what difference this made I have very little relatable experience to comment on. It's tricky commenting on breaks/fractures when you know nothing really. It could be the bone sticking out or a very fine hairline, we don't really know.

What I do know is we mostly saw the best performances ever from him at the TdF, so he wasn't all bad. The stage 17 bonk has be credited way too many calories and a destroyed stomach by Pogacar himself. This sounds realistic to me, as he of course would be nervous about going against Jonas on such a day, given there history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I really have no horse in this race, but I did read up on this recently. Pogacar was going to take a break and start building up a new peak the day after the crash. He was on the home trainer about one week after. Now what difference this made I have very little relatable experience to comment on. It's tricky commenting on breaks/fractures when you know nothing really. It's could be the bone sticking out or a very fine hairline, we don't really know.

What I do know is we mostly saw the best performances ever from him at the TdF, so he wasn't all bad. The stage 17 bonk has be credited way too many calories and a destroyed stomach by Pogacar himself. This sounds realistic to me, as he of course would be nervous about going against Jonas on such a day, given there history.
All of which bode well for his recovery. If he could get some intensity into his workouts he could responably have built on what appeared to be excellent form. Most guys wouldn't have lasted a week in a GT; particularly the rougher roads. Since we don't have x-rays we can only guess that he didn't have surgical reconstruction for areas damaged that impinge nerve pathways that could not be mobilized or impacted.
Both my Son and Grandson have had surgery for impact-related damage. Both required a cast and no movement for 8 weeks. My Son still complains of the pain after doing impact work like hammering or strength work. My Grandson hasn't had any issues. He's a full body type and somewhat clumsy. He's tough but finds ways to break things with his body.

Why? Do you have medical expertise or in depth knowledge about elite athletes recovering?

I think saying "the tour is over" is probably a much safer assumption & line of reasoning than the contrary tbh.

I realize a lot of people want him back at his best as soon as possible but people need to be realistic. It's a bad crash & those are bad injuries.

He needs time & patience from fans.

Any hyperbolic statements like "Tour is over!" or "No problem, plenty of time for Tour!" is plain stupid right now.
It is the disease of our time, where everyone turns into a medical scientist the very second an injury report hits the web. This is a cycling equivalent of all the virologists and experts that spawned out of nowhere during the pandemic.