• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Butterfly Effect

Page 178 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@SHAD0W93 probably can say something more about this, but the injuries sustained by Alaphilippe in 2022 are similar with the injuries sustained por Vingegaard yesterday.

2 months later, Alaphilippe raced again.

Maybe it's possible for Vingegaard doing at least the Vuelta with good preparation.

@SHAD0W93 probably can say something more about this, but the injuries sustained by Alaphilippe in 2022 are similar with the injuries sustained por Vingegaard yesterday.

Maybe it's possible for Vingegaard doing at least the Vuelta with good preparation.
Yes, but he hasn't been the same rider since. There is a big difference from racing and competing in GC of a grand tour

He must have hit the edge of that ditch chest first. He's lucky he's alive and hopefully he'll be back this year.

Found this from Peloton HQ (thanks) on another thread:
3. Vingegaard came in with speed together with a bunch of riders almost covering the width of the road leaving him suboptimal outside lines to pick from, he tried to corner, hesitated, and rode into the road sign post which caused him to fall off the bike ending up next to the concrete roadside drain.

Last edited:
Of course, just conjecture due to the timing from Visma. Could well be something just to do with Jorgenson’s condition like you say.
I would say the latter. He was flying in PN then hit the wall hard in RVV. Not sure what he can offer at PR. Given Wout’s absence and uncertainty about Laporte’s condition I see no scenario where an in shape Jorgenson doesn’t ride on Sunday.

Reactions: Sciatic
I would say the latter. He was flying in PN then hit the wall hard in RVV. Not sure what he can offer at PR. Given Wout’s absence and uncertainty about Laporte’s condition I see no scenario where an in shape Jorgenson doesn’t ride on Sunday.

A possible scenario obviously is, if Visma think Vingegaard won't get ready for the Tour and they need another captain - especially given the questionable form of Kuss - so they don't want to risk Jorgenson crashing hard, in a race he has only done once where he came 65th.

They are but it’s always different person to person. I think there’s no way Vinge can do the Tour to compete for the win and it’s on to the Vuelta. But miracles can happen.

They are but it’s always different person to person. I think there’s no way Vinge can do the Tour to compete for the win and it’s on to the Vuelta. But miracles can happen.
Yes, great variance between seemingly similar crashes and injuries. Vingegaard did hit the signpost next to the road, but I don't think he got as hard a blow as when Alaphilippe hit a tree. And different bodies are affected differently - it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Van Aert isn't already or very soon on a hometrainer.

Lars Bak started light training again 5 days after similar injuries: twitter

Reactions: SHAD0W93

If it was just the broken bones, I could see him make it in time for the Tour, at a good enough level to at least compete.

But with the damaged lung I don't think Visma will push for that, because that is potentially career ending if it doesn't heal right, so they probably don't want him pushing to get ready.

If it was just the broken bones, I could see him make it in time for the Tour, at a good enough level to at least compete.

But with the damaged lung I don't think Visma will push for that, because that is potentially career ending if it doesn't heal right, so they probably don't want him pushing to get ready.
Let's hope the lung wasn't seriously damaged, it was a contusion right?

According to team owner Richard Plugge, Visma is not thinking of a plan B for the Tour de France yet.

"Jonas Vingegaard is still hospitalized after he ended up in a bad crash during the Tour of the Basque Country on Thursday.
This is what Team Visma tells Lease a Bike's sports director Frans Maassen to TV 2 Sport on Saturday, where he also gives an update on how Vingegaard is doing.
- He is still in a lot of pain, and I don't know how long he will have to stay in hospital. But I think he looked a little bit better when I spoke to him last night (Friday, ed.).

- He could talk and eat a little bit, so there had already been an improvement, says Maassen."

Last edited:

According to team owner Richard Plugge, Visma is not thinking of a plan B for the Tour de France yet.

"Jonas Vingegaard is still hospitalized after he ended up in a bad crash during the Tour of the Basque Country on Thursday.
This is what Team Visma tells Lease a Bike's sports director Frans Maassen to TV 2 Sport on Saturday, where he also gives an update on how Vingegaard is doing.
- He is still in a lot of pain, and I don't know how long he will have to stay in hospital. But I think he looked a little bit better when I spoke to him last night (Friday, ed.).

- He could talk and eat a little bit, so there had already been an improvement, says Maassen."

I saw a spanish doctor saying that Vingegaard could be ready for the Tour, but altitude camp as preparations is very unlikely with his lung problem. Because altitude might be dangerous for him and his lung the next few months. But let's hope he gets somehow ready to compete.

I saw a spanish doctor saying that Vingegaard could be ready for the Tour, but altitude camp as preparations is very unlikely with his lung problem. Because altitude might be dangerous for him and his lung the next few months. But let's hope he gets somehow ready to compete.
He should use this year to tick off the Veulta for his palmares. Will be no one there to even get close to him.

Reactions: Eeslliw
Surgery for collarbone right? Or also for the ribs?

I read an opinion by a danish doctor that they generally the riders opt for a surgery to the collarbone because it heal more faster.
With a collarbone fracture, surgery is abolute standard nowadays for most cases. Even for normal people who are not professional sportsmen.
Advantage is, that one can fully load the arm / shoulder few days after the surgery already. Healing still takes a few months, but with a plate/screws carrying the load, its no problem to ride a bike etc.

Reactions: scribers and Froome
Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Surgery for collarbone right? Or also for the ribs?

I read an opinion by a danish doctor that they generally the riders opt for a surgery to the collarbone because it heal more faster.

Because of his colapsed lung?

Frans Maassen didn't say why. I assume the surgery would be for collarbone. However, collapsed lung + broken ribs may complicate things.

Reactions: Froome