• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Butterfly Effect

Page 184 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Surely we can assume he's still in hospital (ICU or other). Teams usually do report when riders go home to begin their rehabilitation. It's 'good news', especially for fans but also sponsors (be it the team's sponsors or race sponsors, i.e. everyone wants the big stars of the sport to be fit).

Agree but you not in a hospital 4 days after a simple collarbone surgery. And you don’t do a surgery if his lung is bad.

All I’m saying in something isn’t right.. and that story with his family not knowing what’s going on just makes it even more weird.

Agree but you not in a hospital 4 days after a simple collarbone surgery. And you don’t do a surgery if his lung is bad.

All I’m saying in something isn’t right.. and that story with his family not knowing what’s going on just makes it even more weird.

I don't want to alarm anyone here & I'm not about to gossip monger about this sort of stuff, I'll simply express what I think, i.e. I don't think the personal wishes of the Vingegaard clan (be it Jonas & his wife, or his parents) have anything to do with anything. I don't think the 'silence' is because he's a private person.

Here's what I think: I think the accident was terrible because we saw him a road sign at high speed & he suffered a very hard blow, particularly to his chest area. If he's still in hospital 8 days later, then that says it all IMO. The collarbone operation is a sideshow. The real problem is evidently elsewhere & we can assume they'll communicate once they have good news.

That's how it usually works anyway.

It's a weird story, but it's also a tabloid, and we've read some awkward stuff about those parents before. I wouldn't read too much into that.

I think the chances of Vingegaard making the Tour are slim to zero, but not because of this clickbait article. If he's still in the hospital at this point, unable to breathe properly, of course he's not going to be fit for the Tour.

According to spanish 'Diario AS', Vingegaard is still at the hospital. He had a surgery last monday and then was transferred to the UCI, to do a better follow up of his pneumothorax. Because of that, he wasn't able to be moved out of the hospital and they are evaluting the possibility of a transfer to Denmark by medical flight

According to spanish 'Diario AS', Vingegaard is still at the hospital. He had a surgery last monday and then was transferred to the UCI, to do a better follow up of his pneumothorax. Because of that, he wasn't able to be moved out of the hospital and they are evaluting the possibility of a transfer to Denmark by medical flight

Transferred to the UCI? Are they trying to kill him?

This is what I know (and it's not a lot, I'm not a doctor, but it's maybe 'new' as I haven't read it here):
Vingegaard took a very hard blow (I saw this and I immediately knew this would be more than simple fractures).
Vingegaard had a collapsed lung. this either impeded his surgery, or it was a more urgent surgery before the collarbone. So for whatever reason, they couldn't do that surgery any time sooner. They first had to monitor him / treat him for other things that were prioritary.
In any way, this is a major blow not only for this season, but, as could be the case with WvA, it could well be that we will talk about a pre- and post-crash Vingegaard and those are maybe not the same.

Reactions: foxbat
I think I read he was in ICU last week (not sure about that), so I wondered if he's still in ICU?

He is not longer in ICU according to different Spanish media. Marca says he is getting better slowly:

https://www.marca.com/ciclismo/2024/04/12/661959cc46163f507a8b4596.html

He is out of the ICU but still have special cares or attention.

When Vingegaard had the surgery it was told that some days in ICU were part of the normal process. So, let's hope everything is fine.

I don't have neither official information nor medical knowledge, but we could consider that the crash hit him more badly than we thought.

It would be a shame not having Vingegaard-Pogacar battle for third time in the Tour, but things don't always go as planned.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Dec 15, 2023
Visit site
If it's worse than what Visma is letting on, i'm sure there is a reason. I can only hope his family isn't kept in the dark.
It's not worse, they just never told us how bad his ribs are. I'm guessing it's a similar fracture to what Horner had and he said in his video that he was in ICU for 3-4 days and than another 3-4 days in a privat room. Based on that Jonas should be out shortly, maybe they are just being extra careful.
I also think the fact that they operated his collarbone so quickly means they still want him at TDF and think there is a chance he can make it.

His perents seems very controlling, they were probably told everything but still feel like they need to know more. "His mother Karina is especially depressed and worried, his wife Trine Marie Hansen is also stingy with information," said worried father Klaus in an interview for the Spanish Marco. I feel like Trine told them everything she knows but is not informing them daily and that is not enought for them.

It's not worse, they just never told us how bad his ribs are. I'm guessing it's a similar fracture to what Horner had and he said in his video that he was in ICU for 3-4 days and than another 3-4 days in a privat room. Based on that Jonas should be out shortly, maybe they are just being extra careful.
I also think the fact that they operated his collarbone so quickly means they still want him at TDF and think there is a chance he can make it.

His perents seems very controlling, they were probably told everything but still feel like they need to know more. "His mother Karina is especially depressed and worried, his wife Trine Marie Hansen is also stingy with information," said worried father Klaus in an interview for the Spanish Marco. I feel like Trine told them everything she knows but is not informing them daily and that is not enought for them.
His wife is the one trustworthy person in charge of their future. She probably knows how sponsorship and endorsement contracts work, how team pressure should be dealt with and how uncertain a hospital can be in a foreign country under an alien press environment. Less is more for the family and let the fans speculate.

Being in a Spanish hospital this long says more than is not being said. If he was set to travel he'd be back in familiar territory.