• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liege Bastogne Liege-7 hour monument, Sunday, April 21, 2024

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • MVDP

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • MVDP

• Total voters
662c6
ff82f

Here‘s a start.
Oh! They found a hill between Liege and Bastogne. I thought they were all between Bastogne and Liege.

Mvdp tackle Teddy in his domain. The battle of these two historic riders in Flandern I do believe is some of the best the sport has to offer ( both proven they can beat eachother there without asterisk) BUT in Teddys domain I cant see Vdp beeing close here.

Also been a month since E3 performance then flandern - robauix which he went deep in all 3, Mvdp has to be on the way down too is my belief. Hes surprised everyone on several occasion before and I do believe VDP performances in glasgow etc and robauix this year is a totally new level and weve been impressed before but I will be impressed if he even is on the podium here.

Margin between Pogacar/VDP?

I'm going with >2 minutes, with Skjelmose, Pidcock, Santi and Hirschi anchoring the chase somewhere inbetween

I think Van Aert would have a great chance in this if he came with his Tour climbing legs, unfortunately too near the cobbled classics to be competitive.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I dont know if more or less subconsciously, but maybe VDP was more thinking at Liege this past weekend than in Amstel. It is an important clasicc, the best race of his country, and of course he was trying to win, and hoping the race was in a good situation for him.
But to be to win at San Remo, RVV, PR, Amstel and Liege is maybe impossible. Riders as Pidcock are really strong for Amstel. I dont say with that he is going to be to win Liege, but maybe he needed an small break of superperformance to shine at Liege.

Why more motivation for Lieje?
-it is a monument.
- it is teorically, for other kinds of riders. Just to be podium there make him a more complete rider.
-As well, his father won that race, and his famous grand father was 3rd.
-Half of his family spoke the same lenguage than in Liege.
-Of course he will try to get the 5 monuments and he need to try it already.
-Pogacar is there and is always a motivation. To lose with him after a great battle is already historic and make big this sport.
-If he win, it would be of course historic.

Once I said this, I would love to be here more than MVP at Evenepoel, and as well than MVDP, Roglic and Van Aert.

Pogacar and Remco have won this race recenttly with a great exhibition, and it is the duel all cycling fans want to see.

The race suits perfectly at them and with this parcours they have to make hard from far, and attack form far.
it is not a race that suits for VDP. I heard lot of times this about Boonen and he couldnt stay there. VDP is a better climber, but not much better. He has been 6th here, and now is better, but he had the same time than 16th, and it was a race in october.

Anyway is a good motivation to see the race to have there Pogacar and MVDP trying to win. Hope no crashs.

Honestly, try picturing MvdP following Pogi on La Redoute and say that's not a ridiculous thought. I know the poll here is a joke but the whole media narrative of vdP having a chance against Pogacar is not. And that's honestly remarkable
I fully agree that van der Poel will be unable to follow Pogacar. But I do hope for a proper battle, doesn't matter who it is. I prefer a battle over a solo.

Eddy Merckx did it FOUR times, that is winning three monuments in one year. And Matthieu can do it, and after his dominance in cyclo-cross, MVDP will be heralded as a legend of the sport...absolute...and who knows how much more he can win...

With regards to the poll, it was missing the Vino option. That's my only complaint, but it's a major violation when it comes to polls...

I will never bet against Tadej Pogacar. He beat MDVP at the Ronde last year, against the universe in MSR he read the last kilometer like Hinault in Prague. The best doesn't always win, I just won't bet against him.