• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Liège-Bastogne-Liège Femmes, approx. 4 hour sort of monument, April 21st

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
SD Worx be like
E87Gs8FXMAgswct.jpg:large

Fantastic finishing sprint from Brown, Kasia exxpended on the risk, but after all that no podium for Canyon is an absolute disaster. Vollering left herself too far back and ran out of road.

Kasia should NOT have gone to Domenico Pozzovivo's advanced clause in finishing 7th in a two-up sprint.
I thought Kasia was doing the right thing. You have to gamble and the rest got kind of bailed out by Cadzow of all people to claw her back. Then it's fair to keep the pace high after ELB wasted that energy in order to deliver Chabbey in a prime position for the sprint. Problem was Chabbey had nothing left and Brown was just better.

I thought Kasia was doing the right thing. You have to gamble and the rest got kind of bailed out by Cadzow of all people to claw her back. Then it's fair to keep the pace high after ELB wasted that energy in order to deliver Chabbey in a prime position for the sprint. Problem was Chabbey had nothing left and Brown was just better.
I had no problem with her gambling at all. She obviously wouldn't have expected Cadzow to do something as blatantly doomed to fail as that.

But from having had Chabbey up front, Kasia sitting on most of the way in the elite chasers, and two riders in the Vos group, to not get a podium is a bit of a mess.

They'd done almost everything perfectly up to the final kilometre but they just didn't have it to bring it home. And somehow Trek and SD Worx who completely made a mess of the race and made it much, much harder than it needed to be to control for themselves did get on the podium.

Reactions: awavey and JR1012
Brown is an interesting rider. She always copes well with the climbing in LBL but yet in other races which have less climbing she can struggle. She does a brilliant job in the World's ITT but has failed miserably in the RR when team leader. Finally, after coming 2nd in the 2020 edition of LBL, Jayco refused to enter her in the 2021 edition of LBL and it is no surprise she left the team. And then of course she joins FDJ and runs second in the 2022 edition of LBL.

I think the others would still have caught up without Cadzows help, because Kasia just went way too early to last the distance to the line, and fair enough it's the only card she can play in a sprint contest with those riders.

But Brown timed it perfectly.