• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 145 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I am fascinated by my own perception that Ramco is much more believable time trialing away from everyone then Toby. Toby's awful aerodynamics just don't help the suspension of disbelief, nor does his moderate effort destruction of the peloton
There are no miracles in cycling, something is afoul. This has become the new norm: at such and such a distance, he goes, and nobody can stay on his wheel. We have returned to an era before performance science and tech advancements in bikes, without considering inflation. Cycling has created a monster.

Last edited:
There are no miracles in cycling, something is afoul. This has become the new norm: at such and such a distance, he goes, and nobody can stay on his wheel. We have returned to an era before performance science and tech advancements in bikes, without considering inflation. Cycling has created a monster.
The new normal has certainly made many of the monuments somewhat dull. I quite enjoy MTB/XCO, as well as some of the lesser caliber road races

Pretty much this. But now they have all the science plus whatever.

Never thought I'd say this but I miss the Sky era.

The new normal has certainly made many of the monuments somewhat dull. I quite enjoy MTB/XCO, as well as some of the lesser caliber road races
And if I'm going to be forced to watch this sh!t (and I force myself for various reasons, one of which is phenomenon of not being able to look away from a car crash), then I wish he'd be the nice guy he is, and let other people in on his stash. Puff puff pass, Teddy. Puff puff pass...

There are two monsters. You forgot the other less versatile one who crashed and spoiled the suspense for the TdF.

One thing we should consider is Pogacar is coming into his prime years as a cyclist. He is still only 25. Talent + clinic + optimal age.

There are two monsters. You forgot the other less versatile one who crashed and spoiled the suspense for the TdF.

One thing we should consider is Pogacar is coming into his prime years as a cyclist. He is still only 25. Talent + clinic + optimal age.
I understand, however, they all play the same game, if not teams would be forced to fold. Pog is coming into his prime years, right, but he exaggerates, he should be more prudent in my opinion.

Reactions: Cookster15

2? What about the Belgian who pulled off basically the same escapade at last years LBL or the little Dutch boy who just did the same thing at RVV and PR? Something has changed, but is putting it all off to doping just being lazy? Or is there some new super drug that only Visma and UAE have access to? Well and Alpecin and Quick-Step! Bahrain used to have it too but apparently their prescription ran out?

Reactions: Cookster15
That Belgian has been doing similar things since he was 17-18, but is not able to win where and when he wants to. Feel free to compare his Paris-Nice with Pogacars Tour of Catalunya.
Most of the competitors of the little Dutch boy were absent or injured in Flanders or P-R. Do you think he could do this against a fully fit Visma LaB and Trek? I don't. Besides, he couldn't compete for victory in Amstel or LBL.

Gene doping with mRNA.

This show is out of control, what are UCI and WADA waiting for?
Well, given the recent news about the Chinese athletes, I would say that WADA is definitely not waiting to keep a lid on doping issues. :p I guess another way of looking at it is, they are hoping no one else sincerely takes up the fight. And the UCI would be worse.

Point being, it is likely up to others to figure what the hell is going on

Where's Rmk--Rol (?) when we need him?
I apologize if I've misspelled his or hers name, but s/he's the guy who spent a long time in the Clinic telling everyone how stupid they are with all the doping talk, adding that there's nothing to see here.
I'm genuinely curious to hear his or hers thoughts on the matter.

Where's Rmk--Rol (?) when we need him?
I apologize if I've misspelled his or hers name, but s/he's the guy who spent a long time in the Clinic telling everyone how stupid they are with all the doping talk, adding that there's nothing to see here.
I'm genuinely curious to hear his or hers thoughts on the matter.
Someone find his Twitter account, he would post stuff from that on here, maybe still active

What strikes me most nowadays is that there are no rumors. Doping allegations and rumors used to be surrounding top guys regularly, journalists were always interested in this topic. Now when the supermen trio perform (not only Pogacar but also MVP and Vingo) there's nothing as if our heroes were riding paniagua indeed! Ok, sometimes they are asked about doping but that's it. I'm almost starting to believe in fairy tales but then Gianetti comes and hugs Teddy after the race...

Point being, it is likely up to others to figure what the hell is going on
The sh*t normally hits the fan with police raids and not anti-doping organizations. Bahrain got raided then Colbrelli nearly died so they dialled it down. Nairo & a few other fools got caught with Tramadol after they were warned that UCI were going to check for it, so the norm is warn riders so there's no scandal (which is why WADA have "monitoring programs" so riders know what not to take). Even the old regular bust of some rider just before the Tour to scare off people seems to have stopped.

Last edited:
Reactions: wirral
I am fascinated by my own perception that Ramco is much more believable time trialing away from everyone then Toby. Toby's awful aerodynamics just don't help the suspension of disbelief, nor does his moderate effort destruction of the peloton
Pog decided the race on the climb when he attacked 900 metres before the top of La Redoute and took a 20s lead. Then came the usual G2 mentality, everyone hesitated and the gap widened.

He didn't win the race in a time trial like Remco did last year when he just shook off Pidcock on the small uncategorised bump.