• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How likely is Tadej Pogačar to win both the Giro and the Tour this season?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How likely is Tadej Pogačar to win both the Giro and the Tour this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you seriously qualifying Vingo's participation for the tour this year?
As long as his team says he's not going to be there, why not?

We saw Vingegaard 'not at 100%' in a GT recently, aka the first week or so of the Vuelta last year.

Tadej Pogačar with his usual form would put time into that Vingegaard, no question in my mind.
It's hard to say what he would have been able to do if he hadn't raced in such a way to prevent a particular teammate from winning the race.

According to someone in here about the probabilities of crashes and illnesses he has around 64% chance of doing the double. This is just based on fate and not performance. What is the probability of a surprise performance by someone like Remco, Roglic or someone new? maybe low but needs to be taken into consideration. that lowers the probability to about ~50-55%

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
If he doesn't crash it's almost 100%. We've seen how dominant he has been in Strade/Catalunya/LBL, there is no way that, so long as he doesn't crash, anyone on that Giro start list comes close to him

The only 2 riders who have a chance of staying close to him in the mountains are Vingegaard and Roglic. Just look at the last 2 years and how far ahead they were of the field. Vingegaard is injured and I can't see him winning it. Roglic is not in the best form this year, plus it seems unlikely he will drop Pogi even if he can outsprint him on a good day.

Evenepoel is overrated, may gain some time in the TTs but he will get dropped early on multiple mountain stages. I know he lost time to others on Granon and Loze but Granon was down largely to tactics (he still would have been dropped by Vingo but it must be tactics to Bardet and Quintana etc) and Loze was because he had poor prep and partly as knew he had lost. But every time Vingo and Pogi attacked they would just take a minute on the field in no time. Usual laws about he might have a bad day blah blah blah don't apply. All this 10% chance even if he stays upright then he still might lose doesn't apply to Pogi, certainly in the Giro field

The question is, how likely is he to crash? Now, crashes are frequent in cycling as we all know and so I reckon he is about 75% to win the double

In terms of the chance of crashing, last year 150/176 riders finished the Tour. The Giro/Vuelta will be less because you will have a load of sprinters who can't be bothered, and so to get the chance of him finishing a GT looking at the Tour is best. The year before it was 134/176. 2022 was 141/184. 2021 146/184. So in total that is 79% of riders finish. Because some of those are as they OTL, let's say there is almost 90% chance that Pogi finishes each GT which means there is about 80% chance he finishes both. So I'd say about 75% chance he wins both

In terms of the chance of crashing, last year 150/176 riders finished the Tour. The Giro/Vuelta will be less because you will have a load of sprinters who can't be bothered, and so to get the chance of him finishing a GT looking at the Tour is best. The year before it was 134/176. 2022 was 141/184. 2021 146/184. So in total that is 79% of riders finish. Because some of those are as they OTL, let's say there is almost 90% chance that Pogi finishes each GT which means there is about 80% chance he finishes both. So I'd say about 75% chance he wins both
Some of those finished but had crashed or mechanicals that greatly hurt their performance, though. Hindley in the Tour for example. Contador had many a Tour impacted by a crash that didn’t prevent him from winning. So I think about about it more as odds of finishing the Giro without mishap x odds of finishing the Tour without mishap and get to a lower figure. 75% x 75% gets you to 56%, without getting into competition, accumulated fatigue, etc. Because the competition appears favorable at this time, I give him ~50% odds.

Voted 60%. Crashes and a fresh legged Roglic are tempering my prediction.

I am ruling out Vingegaard at the TdF based upon what I am reading about his recovery and the fact Vingo is much more badly injured than Pog was at last year's LBL. Vingo's DS says we need to wait two weeks to know better.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Some of those finished but had crashed or mechanicals that greatly hurt their performance, though. Hindley in the Tour for example. Contador had many a Tour impacted by a crash that didn’t prevent him from winning. So I think about about it more as odds of finishing the Giro without mishap x odds of finishing the Tour without mishap and get to a lower figure. 75% x 75% gets you to 56%, without getting into competition, accumulated fatigue, etc. Because the competition appears favorable at this time, I give him ~50% odds.
Pogi can afford multiple mechanicals and still win the Giro. He could probably dislocate his shoulder and still win