• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 535 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hi ml was
From Strava he went 10” faster than Remco on Redoute. But with the downhill and next climb combined Pogi was only 6” faster in a 9’40” effort. So pretty equal performance from the attack and the Cornemont afterwards in their winning move.

Next in line Joseph Blackmore 40” down, in his LBL win 10 days earlier.

A level above the rest in these races.
Hard to tell for sure from just watching on a screen but I thought Pogacar’s attack looked more measured than some of his other mountain or hilltop launches?

Reactions: Poursuivant
Depends on what happens this year. If he gets the Giro-Tour double I even see a possible radical schedule change next year: going for all monuments (Flandres + Roubaix included) in the spring and Vuelta in the autumn.
I would be surprised if the team (or rather their sponsors) easily okays skipping the Tour. But I’m not sure how different that aspect (brand promotion) is when it’s a country sponsoring a team rather than a company?

Reactions: Sandisfan
I would be surprised if the team (or rather their sponsors) easily okays skipping the Tour. But I’m not sure how different that aspect (brand promotion) is when it’s a country sponsoring a team rather than a company?

Given Pogacar status in the team I think he has something to say and they won't oppose if he wants to skip the Tour one year (especially after completing the double and regaining the Tour title). It's still a long way to go and a lot of things can happen in the meantime. Tour is always his big goal but I can imagine him intentionally skipping it once during his prime (i.e. to have a better shot at Roubaix and Vuelta).

No matter how hardcore fan you might be in favor of MVDP it’s hard to look past the achievements of Pog. He is definitely more versatile (on the road) than MVDP and he has beaten Mathieu at least once (RVV 2023) on his own ground. Should Pog continue to win spectacularly other classics such as MSR and PR (not too unlikely) he will clearly be the best Classics rider in this lifetime. Yet the next major showdown between these two is another divider: the next Road WC. Can Pog put that one down after having completed the Giro and the Tour? If yes then it’s something otherworldly to behold.
Olympics first although that course is very firmly to the advantage of MVDP.

I detest the Pokémon meme. No, cycling is not all about "Gotta Catch 'Em All!".

I hope the best rider will race the greatest race for the win every year.
So far he has mostly only raced the big races, stage-races and one-day races. Especially to an even bigger degree in the last season, while suffering a big injury, and this one.

I think that critique is a bit unwarranted.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I detest the Pokémon meme. No, cycling is not all about "Gotta Catch 'Em All!".

I hope the best rider will race the greatest race for the win every year.
Pogacar is riding the biggest races year after year. Just mixing it a bit up to so he doesn't end up with 7 T-A or 7 P-Ns and none of the other race makes a lot of sense to me. Likewise racing the Giro makes sense, and trying to win MSR at that point in the season - why not? Then he mixes it a bit up regarding Flanders, and odds are he would definitely race Flanders if not for the Giro.

I like his schedule every year and think every race he does makes a lot of sense.

He needs to win La Vuelta, Giro d' Italia, Romandie, Suisse, Pais Vasco,Dauphine, MSR, CSS, G-W and P-R. And obviously Worlds/OCRR. And if you wanna add a bit smaller races then Omloop and E-3 (which you can argue is a bigger win than CSS for example, but whatever).

Chances are he will win Giro d' Italia this year, and he could easily win every one of these week long stage races if he rode them, but they clash with the classics somewhat. He preferes a lighter schedule, but at one point you could literally see him sweep these races if he wants to. Not that it matters a lot IMO, its obviously a lot better to race the monuments + TdF at full strength as well and then you need to rest.

Pogacar is riding the biggest races year after year. Just mixing it a bit up to so he doesn't end up with 7 T-A or 7 P-Ns and none of the other race makes a lot of sense to me. Likewise racing the Giro makes sense, and trying to win MSR at that point in the season - why not? Then he mixes it a bit up regarding Flanders, and odds are he would definitely race Flanders if not for the Giro.

I like his schedule every year and think every race he does makes a lot of sense.

He needs to win La Vuelta, Giro d' Italia, Romandie, Suisse, Pais Vasco,Dauphine, MSR, CSS, G-W and P-R. And obviously Worlds/OCRR. And if you wanna add a bit smaller races then Omloop and E-3 (which you can argue is a bigger win than CSS for example, but whatever).

Chances are he will win Giro d' Italia this year, and he could easily win every one of these week long stage races if he rode them, but they clash with the classics somewhat. He preferes a lighter schedule, but at one point you could literally see him sweep these races if he wants to. Not that it matters a lot IMO, its obviously a lot better to race the monuments + TdF at full strength as well and then you need to rest.
I don't know why he cares about one week stage races. Cycling is all about GT's, monuments and worlds. This is where legacy is created. No one will ever remember if he wins Pais Vasco, Tour de Suisse or Tour de Romandie. And these 3 races are not good for his schedule. Racing Pais Vasco means he can't compete in Flanders, Romandie starts when he goes on vacations. Tour de Suisse (fighting for GC) is not a good prep for the Tour.
If he tries to win these races instead of really focusing on winning more monuments and Tours, I will be very surprised.
In order to be the best ever he needs to win 5 Tours, 3 Giros and 3 Vueltas. In terms of monuments, he needs to win all of them and surpass 11 wins.

To get a complete palmares, you must win every race. So I'd assume Poggi goes for P-N next year and maybe Dauphine too. Then Tour -Vuelta double. And a few selected classics.
640debe6b5c42.png

I think the complete palmares is a gimmick only the most hardcore cycling fans could care about. An argument could be made, of course, that Pog is a hardcore cycling fan as well but still, I think he would take additional Flanders win instead of first-time Itzulia every year. Who wouldn’t?

And why would he sacrifice his Tour chances for some checkmarks when that’s not only where he gets most media attention and money but also (more importantly) presents his greatest challenge? Winning TdF and a couple of 1-week stage races was done many times by lots of riders. Jonas won Itzulia, Dauphine and TdF just last year. Winning classics and monuments together with TdF is much more unique.

Last edited:
Reactions: scribers
Surely just preference, no? Pogacar seems more like the I want to win something of everything type, with a focus on the Tour partly bc (imo) Vingegaard keeps beating him. If he beats Vingegaard fair and square, then I can absolutely see him mixing up priorities according to whatever he fancies that year. He's more like Contador/Nibali in that regard than Armstrong/Sky.

Also given he's a throwback to 60s and 70s riders, I feel like he might well want a similar palmarés too

Oh, now I'm convinced that he needs to win Romandie and Gent-Wevelgem.

Good.

I absolutely hate the fact that Valverde didn't win Amstel or Lombardia and that Sagan didn't win Strade, Amstel or MSR.

If Zabel had won De Ronde and Roubaix and just two MSR's instead of four, he would definitely have left a bigger mark.

The Pokémon logic does have its merits.

To an extent, that is. I would probably prefer him to forgo Itzulia forever if that means riding De Ronde every year. But he has said himself that he wants to win the seven big one-week races.

Maybe he can even do both in one season (Ronde and Itzulia)?

Good.

I absolutely hate the fact that Valverde didn't win Amstel or Lombardia and that Sagan didn't win Strade, Amstel or MSR.

If Zabel had won De Ronde and Roubaix and just two MSR's instead of four, he would definitely have left a bigger mark.

The Pokémon logic does have its merits.

To an extent, that is. I would probably prefer him to forgo Itzulia forever if that means riding De Ronde every year. But he has said himself that he wants to win the seven big one-week races.

Maybe he can even do both in one season (Ronde and Itzulia)?
Do you also prefer Cancellara's monument wins over Boonen's monument wins? Sanremo above a 4th Roubaix?

Reactions: QueenStagiaire
Do you also prefer Cancellara's monument wins over Boonen's monument wins? Sanremo above a 4th Roubaix?

Probably not, but that's only because Boonen tied the record (and Roubaix is better than MSR (you lured me into a trap there, didn't you?)).

Also, Boonen has his world title, and I don't really think it makes sense to talk only monuments and ignore worlds which is practically a sixth monument.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I mean there are clearly layers to this discussion. I really don't think he should do smaller races in order to win everything on the calendar, but changing up his schedule so he can win different races makes a lot of sense. Does anyone think winning all GTs plus all monuments isn't a goal he should strive for?

If Boonens 4th wasn't the record, would you not?

Last edited:
I mean there are clearly layers to this discussion. I really don't think he should do smaller races in order to win everything on the calendar, but changing up his schedule so he can win different races makes a lot of sense. Does anyone think winning all GTs plus all monuments isn't a goal he should strive for?
Yeah but winning Pais Vasco and sacrifice Flanders? Nah, true cycling fans don't want to see that.

Reactions: Brullnux and bNator