• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia pre-race poll: Best of the Rest?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish highest in GC in the 2024 Giro of the riders who are not Pogi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thomas has won the Tour and, last year, arguably rode his best grand tour in the Giro. Bardet was at one stage best of the rest behind Froome. I don't think this would be a weak podium it's just Pogi/Vingo are so much better than everyone else
It wouldn't be an uninspiring podium because it was really weak, but because it would be two old farts who've been up there plenty of times and have zero hope of winning another GT barring Pogacar crashing out of this one.

Pogacar made the ultimate mother-in-law joke today. His win was so easy to predict that you would almost overlook how impressive it is. Just show up, drop everyone, and that's it. In the post-race interview he said he was suffering, but my impression was that the others were suffering much harder.

I feel a bit sorry for Bardet. That guy was second in the Tour, second in the WC, and now second in LBL. He'll probably finish his career without a major win, not counting Tour stages. He would deserve one major win, but he always comes out against one stronger rider.
Bardet will probably be 2nd in the Giro
It wouldn't be an uninspiring podium because it was really weak, but because it would be two old farts who've been up there plenty of times and have zero hope of winning another GT barring Pogacar crashing out of this one.
Its amasing to me that Geraint Thomas at his age can still compete at the highest level ...same for Bardet

This to me is every bit as inspiring as a natural talent like Pogacar or Evenepoel riding off the front and deserves respect

After all its easier if you have the youth and genes

Also its not their fault that the younger riders (2nd tier) arent up to it or would rather be paid to ride as a domestique

Isn't the issue with the Giro the lack of good italian GT riders at the moment. That is usually what provideded the base competitive level at the Giro that the first or second tier riders had to compete with. There was usually also a strong eastern European contingent in the Giro with rides like Tonkov, Menchov, Honchar Popovych etc. who were often based in Italy.

Without that base competitive level it becomes too much of a freebee for whatever first tier GT rider who decides to attend.

Perhaps in a few years if Tiberi, Pellizzari and Piganzoli all establish themselves as capable GT riders could the base level of the Giro increase a bit again.
I think that’s a good point and also goes back to the increasingly lopsided budgets of teams as back in the early 2000s the Giro and Vuelta had the likes of Simoni, Rujano, Savoldelli, Mosquera etc contending for podiums and even winning on small teams.

Thomas seems to rounding into useful form but his late career is marked by largely being pack fodder outside of his target races with only 2022 TDS bucking that trend in the last 3 seasons.

What is the reason that the Giro is heaving such a hard time getting a decent startlist? I can recall the epic battles in 2017 and 2018 with quite a good startlist. Loved those editions with Contador, Landa and Kruijswijk as well butchering the Mortirolo, Kruijswijk hitting the snow wall at the Agnello. Man, those 10s Giro were good if I think about it. Still love this race, but it kinda lost its mojo a bit.

Isn't the issue with the Giro the lack of good italian GT riders at the moment. That is usually what provideded the base competitive level at the Giro that the first or second tier riders had to compete with. There was usually also a strong eastern European contingent in the Giro with rides like Tonkov, Menchov, Honchar Popovych etc. who were often based in Italy.

Without that base competitive level it becomes too much of a freebee for whatever first tier GT rider who decides to attend.

Perhaps in a few years if Tiberi, Pellizzari and Piganzoli all establish themselves as capable GT riders could the base level of the Giro increase a bit again.
Yes. When I started watching the race, riders like Simoni, Savoldelli, Cunego, Scarponi, Di Luca, Mazzoleni, Garzelli, Pellizotti, Sella etc. were still relevant and would always target the race at 100%. That was THE big objective every year. I don't even know what Italy has to offer anymore, but more or less since the early 10's, I feel like that has not been the case apart from Nibali and then a few decent riders here and there. The level is just too low and maybe some clinic stuff? I don't know, but you're completely right that you always had a chunk of very good Italian riders targetting the race. Very similar to the Vuelta in a around that time.

I do think that guy Tiberi might a rider to follow who will follow such a pattern of targetting the race over and over and being competitive. He seems talented enough along with maybe some of the other youngsters?

What is the reason that the Giro is heaving such a hard time getting a decent startlist? I can recall the epic battles in 2017 and 2018 with quite a good startlist. Loved those editions with Contador, Landa and Kruijswijk as well butchering the Mortirolo, Kruijswijk hitting the snow wall at the Agnello. Man, those 10s Giro were good if I think about it. Still love this race, but it kinda lost its mojo a bit.
Last year had Rogla and Evenepoel at the top of the bill, plus the third best of the Tour from the year before.

Yes. When I started watching the race, riders like Simoni, Savoldelli, Cunego, Scarponi, Di Luca, Mazzoleni, Garzelli, Pellizotti, Sella etc. were still relevant and would always target the race at 100%. That was THE big objective every year. I don't even know what Italy has to offer anymore, but more or less since the early 10's, I feel like that has not been the case apart from Nibali and then a few decent riders here and there. The level is just too low and maybe some clinic stuff? I don't know, but you're completely right that you always had a chunk of very good Italian riders targetting the race. Very similar to the Vuelta in a around that time.

I do think that guy Tiberi might a rider to follow who will follow such a pattern of targetting the race over and over and being competitive. He seems talented enough along with maybe some of the other youngsters?
Tiberi is certainly the safest bet as a GT rider going forward. Not sure he has the upside to ever win one but perhaps he can carve out a role as an Almeida type of rider, getting a podium when the field is sub par.

Piganzoli has similar skills: good TTer, consistent, can climb... not sure about the watts though.

Pellizzari has the highest ceiling as a climber and is quite explosive as well. Says he has stopped riding on the TT bike after his Jr years but likes the discipline. We'll find out more next year when he joins Bora. Could turn out being a GT winner or the next Ciccone, hard to tell at the moment.

I think that’s a good point and also goes back to the increasingly lopsided budgets of teams as back in the early 2000s the Giro and Vuelta had the likes of Simoni, Rujano, Savoldelli, Mosquera etc contending for podiums and even winning on small teams.

Thomas seems to rounding into useful form but his late career is marked by largely being pack fodder outside of his target races with only 2022 TDS bucking that trend in the last 3 seasons.
Agreed about the lineups. LS has discussed on several occasions how the dilution of strength and lack of support for the pro-conti teams adversely impacts races, particularly GTs. It helps explain why, with some rare exceptions, we get such weak breakaways (or sometimes none at all). And we don’t often get the surprise of a superb climber/poor GC pro-conti rider showing in the final group of a big mtn stage.

Reactions: hayneplane
I would bet on Arensman.
I wouldn't. His TT'ing hasn't progressed since his move to Ineos and he is very prone to bad luck in first weeks. If he manages to get unscathed to the third week, with a decent TT he is definitely one of the podium contenders. His 3rd week in the Giro last year was also good knowing that he was in a domestique role for Thomas, but I can't rule out the scenario where his ass is somewhere on Swiss tarmac already this week.

Jose Rujano doesn't belong into this list at all. The coffee planter was a big cycling talent actually.

The 2005 Giro d'Italia had a stellar field. Basso, Cunego, Simoni, Savoldelli, Di Luca. Even Garate who finished 5th at least has beaten Honchar who was 2nd in 2004. Hard and aggressive racing as well. Guys like Zubeldia & Sanchez came with ambitions for Euskatels first Giro d'Italia participation and were surprised by / not prepared for the high level racing they whitenessed at the 2005 Giro d'Italia!

Colombia Sella Italia was flying that year and certainly well prepared. Due to the sponsorship paycheck from Corratec!

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
Agreed about the lineups. LS has discussed on several occasions how the dilution of strength and lack of support for the pro-conti teams adversely impacts races, particularly GTs. It helps explain why, with some rare exceptions, we get such weak breakaways (or sometimes none at all). And we don’t often get the surprise of a superb climber/poor GC pro-conti rider showing in the final group of a big mtn stage.

It is kinda hard to be surprised when we know so much about every rider. Nowadays seeing guys like Pellizzari and Piganzoli in TotA or even the Giro performing well or even winning a stage wouldn't be surprise. 10-15 years ago many of us would be "who are these guys, they are so young and still get second place in race with decent field" Nowadays everyone knows who they are hense their performance is not surprise.

Reactions: SafeBet and Sciatic