• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure, he and Morkov did 32:58 and ahead was 24:19.
Guess it makes sense that when you drop before the grupetto you're always gonna miss it by a bunch. That's problematic.

The Tour has a few dangerous stages in terms of time limit IMO, but at the same time medium mountain stages tend to have easier time limits because they always get raced at the fastest schedule and ASO doesn't bother adjusting time limits to that

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Those stages where the climbing starts only midway through the stage have especially lenient limits.

Like this one in 2022 where no sprinter should have any troubles from start to Arreau.

Tour_2022_stage_17.jpg

Tour of Turkey up next, hopefully he can show some form after the illness.

Reactions: jmdirt

Tour of Turkey up next, hopefully he can show some form after the illness.
Ok, I came here to see if he was healthy. He was nowhere in Turkey, so hopefully just shaking out the cobwebs and ready to build up..

Reactions: pastronef
I dont know about that. Its unlikely, but him winning a stage? Curious what the betting sites offer. I would expect somewhere in the range of 10-1 or 20-1
Waaaaaat? The odds of Cavendish winning a TDF stage are 10 to 1..20 to 1? If I had money on it, would think that the odds are more like 500 to 1 ..thousand to one..no disrespect to Cavendish just his results are not even sporadic at this point..He beat Fernando Gaviria in February at Tour of Colombia.. been in hibernation since. Got 3rd stage one in Colombia and 15th is best since then.

Waaaaaat? The odds of Cavendish winning a TDF stage are 10 to 1..20 to 1? If I had money on it, would think that the odds are more like 500 to 1 ..thousand to one..no disrespect to Cavendish just his results are not even sporadic at this point..He beat Fernando Gaviria in February at Tour of Colombia.. been in hibernation since. Got 3rd stage one in Colombia and 15th is best since then.
You know full well YOU would not give 500 to 1 on him winning a stage so dont bs here.

You must admit he does have an uncanny ability to pull *** right out of nowhere.

You know full well YOU would not give 500 to 1 on him winning a stage so dont bs here.

You must admit he does have an uncanny ability to pull *** right out of nowhere.
All sarcasm aside, Cavendish has credentials that's for sure,as far as the ability to squirt, squeeze, bump and grind his way into daylight and open up his sprint, if he believes it and as you are expressing, I respect it.
I personally don't think all the intangibles are in place anymore and 500 to 1 is obviously a bit of hyperbole given the number of riders but I currently don't think Mark is in the top 10 or 12 pro sprinters currently. People like Wout, Remco, Merlier, all need to be considered as sprinters in my view currently.

What’s worrying is the sickness and possibility of it being recurring or disrupts his form. Last years dropped chain and following crash was a big miss. I just hope he doesn’t get pushed into a scenario where he feels like it’s do or die as he usually screws himself by getting boxed in; 2011 Worlds almost boxed himself in, 2014 stage 1 crash, 2016 Worlds, or 2021 Champs stage. Another worry is being able to get through all the stages if it’s raced like the last two years. But in a way he’s like Roglic now where the only focus is the Tour. If it’s not set up perfectly he’s not forcing any issues to stay out of mishaps.

Reactions: saunaking