• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 6, Torre del Lago Puccini (Viareggio) – Rapolano Terme, 180km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Final hill is 1.5km 8% with the final 200m being 19% average, so it's actually quite similar to Mur de Huy, and it's very close to the finish.
Yes, I think the people who fight for the stage will be closer to Stage 1 than past three days. We shall see. Headwind might bring things together a bit but will also mean that if you're dropped you're dropped. Given the size of Rapolano Terme, I also don't think that the organisers are expecting this to be a reduced sprint any bigger than like 20-30 riders.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes, I think the people who fight for the stage will be closer to Stage 1 than past three days. We shall see. Headwind might bring things together a bit but will also mean that if you're dropped you're dropped. Given the size of Rapolano Terme, I also don't think that the organisers are expecting this to be a reduced sprint any bigger than like 20-30 riders.
If the stage is up for grabs I think Pog will just launch it and I can only see Narvaez maybe being able to follow

One day before that important time trial it's possible that not much happens for the GC, but those sterrato sectors do provide an opportunity.

The toughest part is 50 to 40 km before the finish. After that there's only one more sterrato sector. For Pogacar attacking is only worthwile if he manages to drop Thomas (the former E3 winner; not Benjamin). If one or more top 10 riders are dropped Ineos might make pace in the final, with Ganna in front. For riders who don't have much experience on this terrain it can be a dangerous day. A mechanical on a bad moment can be a big problem.

Reactions: Sandisfan