Tragic News - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 03-19-12, 22:55
TeamSkyFans

Default Tragic News

It is with a very heavy heart, that I am the bearer of extremely sad news.

it is the second time in a matter of months that this duty has fallen to me, and each time is equally heartbreaking.

On Saturday the 11th of February, Craig Walsh, known to many of you as Craig1985 was tragically killed after a collision with a motor car while riding his bike.

I really dont know what to say, except that my knowledge of craig was that of a great guy.

On February 18th more than 60 cyclists rode from the Luke Harrop track at Runaway Bay to the funeral at Allambe Gardens in Nerang in memory of the 26-year-old.

In a poignant twist, Craigs signature on the cycling news forums pays tributes to three people. Xavier Tondo, Wouter Weyland, and John The Swordsman.

Words cannot describe how I feel knowing he has now been added to that list.

I will try at some point to contact a member of his club, or a member of the family so that we may pass on our sympathies.

Craig Walsh. 1985 - 2012

Last edited by TeamSkyFans; 03-19-12 at 23:06.
Old 03-19-12, 23:06

RIP Craig. I can't write anymore
Old 03-19-12, 23:07

RIP brother

sad news indeed
Old 03-19-12, 23:08

a great guy who was liked by everyone. Truly gutted about this.
Old 03-19-12, 23:12

He always seemed like such a great guy...devastated. RIP.

It's at times like these I consider quitting cycling altogether, the motorists will never learn...
Old 03-19-12, 23:10
Banned

Wow. I'm crushed. That dude was okay.
Old 03-19-12, 23:14

totally bummed. RIP Craig Walsh/Craig1985. super nice guy. we were corresponding a lot over the last couple of years.
Old 03-19-12, 23:14

Wow. That's just completely unbelievable. At a loss for words. I had been wondering why he seemed to have stopped posting, but never imagined for a second it would be for anything like this.

He was a good guy to have around, always gave the impression he'd be a great guy to hang around with, and the forum was better for his contribution. Thoughts to those who knew him.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 03-19-12, 23:19
TeamSkyFans

the fact his avatar is that of John the Swordsman is almost too much.

Devastating
Old 03-19-12, 23:20

This is deep.

Craig really was imo one of the best cycling fans in the world, and I don't hand that one out, even in threads like these, unless I think it is earned.

Had high level knowledge of the pros, and rode at a very high level in local crits. Loved and took part in the sport at all its levels.

Didnt always show his high knowledge kept it to himself and lurked often, but you could se he had it like for example when he wrote on 1 of the Vuelta 10 stage threads that Hushovd had won the stage in the Volta Catalunya some years back.
Or that avatar he had of Abdoujaparov

Was always great to read his posts about how he had just ridden with this pro or that. Fan stories like that are my favourite posts to read and Craig offered these feel good stories as much as anyone.

He also posted with joy about his trips to europe for whcih he had saved up long for, in order to watch the Tour de France, what had been a dream of his.

Never got into any **** with anybody on here.
I remember when people were beating up on jens and craig posted with a smiley that he likes jens posts cos they are different.

Loved the forum too. Many of his posts where jokes to other posters or about their posting styles.

As I remember his signature also had the words "hope I do not have to add to this list".

What a sad irony.

I don't know how you found out dim but chapeau on doing so and letting the community pay its respects.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 03-19-12 at 23:29.