Long Distance Wheel Advice - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-12, 21:45
Marva32's Avatar
Marva32 Marva32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 263
Default Long Distance Wheel Advice

I just agreed to undertake a cross country ride to raise funds for a charity here in the US. My usual wheels are are a pair of Velocity DeepVs laced to Shimano 105 hubs. For this ride, I'm thinking of something less aerodynamic and wider to get a better contact patch and some more comfort, along the lines of a 23mm wide rim. What do people think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-12, 22:33
Shady87 Shady87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 26
Default

Check out the Wheelbuilders thread.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=4472

Good advice there, they'll probably recommend Velocity A23's
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-12, 02:51
Marva32's Avatar
Marva32 Marva32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady87 View Post
Check out the Wheelbuilders thread.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=4472

Good advice there, they'll probably recommend Velocity A23's
Shady, I know about the Wheelbuilders thread, and wanted to try to keep this separated out. If the mods want to move it, I have no problem.

RDV:

Right now I'm up there at about 295lbs. I know as time goes on, the weight will shed. I've never been a masher, always more of a spinner. I'm getting back on the bike after 2 years off due to a near-death illness.

No gear will be carried other than the usual stuff I'd carry in a seat-pack to take care of flats.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-12, 00:36
RDV4ROUBAIX's Avatar
RDV4ROUBAIX RDV4ROUBAIX is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marva32 View Post
Shady, I know about the Wheelbuilders thread, and wanted to try to keep this separated out. If the mods want to move it, I have no problem.

RDV:

Right now I'm up there at about 295lbs. I know as time goes on, the weight will shed. I've never been a masher, always more of a spinner. I'm getting back on the bike after 2 years off due to a near-death illness.

No gear will be carried other than the usual stuff I'd carry in a seat-pack to take care of flats.
What a story you have!! Glad you're around to do this ride!!! For rims you'll be looking at Velocity Dyad, H Plus Son TB 14, or DT TK 540, 36 hole front and rear. Seems you are loosing weight fast and will probably be back to your old self in no time at all. Best of luck, I'll be keeping a keen eye on your progress.
__________________
I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then Im the Devil."
~Roger De Vlaeminck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-12, 11:46
Marva32's Avatar
Marva32 Marva32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDV4ROUBAIX View Post
What a story you have!! Glad you're around to do this ride!!! For rims you'll be looking at Velocity Dyad, H Plus Son TB 14, or DT TK 540, 36 hole front and rear. Seems you are loosing weight fast and will probably be back to your old self in no time at all. Best of luck, I'll be keeping a keen eye on your progress.
Thanks, its been a rough 2 years, and I still can't get myself to go back to a dentist.

Do you have any knowledge about Challenge Paris Roubaix open tubulars? Right now I'm riding their Criteriums, and love them, but figured going up to a wider, puncture-resistant tire would be wise.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-12, 18:24
kuoirad kuoirad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 123
Default

Kudos to you, Marva - I thought it was "huge" for me to be doing America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride with Team in Training - doing 72 miles (this year) around Lake Tahoe. But you're going cross-country? Damn.

(I'm a "larger" rider as well)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-12, 00:44
RDV4ROUBAIX's Avatar
RDV4ROUBAIX RDV4ROUBAIX is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marva32 View Post
I just agreed to undertake a cross country ride to raise funds for a charity here in the US. My usual wheels are are a pair of Velocity DeepVs laced to Shimano 105 hubs. For this ride, I'm thinking of something less aerodynamic and wider to get a better contact patch and some more comfort, along the lines of a 23mm wide rim. What do people think?
Wider rims do nothing but help, but for rim choice we have to know a couple things about you and your gear. How much do you weigh? Are you a masher or spinner? Will you be carrying gear on your bike?

A23's are good if you're not loaded with gear, so is the H Plus Son Archetype. If you're carrying any amount of gear on the bike I'd go with the Velocity Dyad or H Plus Son TB 14.
__________________
I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then Im the Devil."
~Roger De Vlaeminck
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.