Official: Tour of California route announcement - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 10-22-09, 08:18
Australian Editor

Default Official: Tour of California route announcement

Hey all,

With the official Tour of California route announcement for 2010 only hours away, here's where you can discuss the event details.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
Old 10-22-09, 08:49

Let's see, prolouge, a lot of hills, but nothing much, a long TT for Levi to win his 4th ToC for Retirement Shack. No?
Old 10-22-09, 14:17

i still believe the date move to be stupid. not going to have top talent.
Old 10-22-09, 15:43

schwarzenegger,
Great news for American cycling fans and CA. The 2010 Amgen Tour of California will be better than ever. @lancearmstrong will you join us?

lancearmstrong
1. Absolutely! @schwarzenegger, I've decided to ride the #Amgen Tour of California in 2010. Can't wait. What about you @levileipheimer??

LeviLeipheimer
1. I'll definitely be racing the 2010 Amgen Tour of California. Defending my title. @ghincapie

ghincapie
1. There are 8 great reasons to love the Amgen Tour of California. Guys?? @lancearmstrong, @LeviLeipheimer, @dzabriskie1 minute ago from web
2. I will be riding the 2010 Amgen Tour of California as national road champ, wearing the stars and stripes…. How about you @dzabriskie?

dzabriskie
1. 2010 Amgen Tour of California - I will be there as national time trial champ.
Old 10-22-09, 16:09

Agree that competing with the Giro will probably make it an American affair, if it wasn't already.
Surprised that they miss some of Levi's Grand Fondo terrain near Guerneville. It's some of the most extreme terrain for a variety of reasons and would make for great drama. There are plenty of other hills, though.
Old 10-22-09, 16:31

Thhe stage to Big Bear, the article said something like 25kms long, up to 2050m. Sounds interesting. Anyone know what that climb is like?

Also a 30 mile (nearly 50 kms right?) time trial in downtown LA? That must have taken some doing to try and get that organized. I'm personally holding my breath about that. Would hate to see a team bus get stuck on the 405 trying to head into downtown and miss the start.

William Shakespeare
King Lear - Act 5, scene III

Come Join Our New Forum
Old 10-22-09, 16:43
Administrator

They'll get people. Riders who don't ride the Giro. But I think in 2011 when this is a PT race, we'll see bigger names.

I anticipate a long ITT, maybe two big climbs, one over a pass like Palomar, and another a mountain top finish to a climb such as Mt. Wilson, Mt. Baldy, Table Mountain, Crystal Lake, or any of the other climbs in the San Gabriels or areas within shouting distance of Los Angeles.

All of the big, spectacular HC climbs are in the eastern side of the Sierras, many, many miles from major population areas. Though I do think the TOC will hit some of the Sierra foothills, and the TOC will tout them as being Sierra climbs, anyone who really knows the state and it's roads, will know that until they somehow get to the climbs between Horseshoe Meadows and the Mt. Rose highway, they'll miss out on the where the true HC, and truly spectacular climbs in the US are.
Old 10-22-09, 16:44

Is it just me or is it kind of missing the point to announce a route but you don't know what the distances are ?

Let me see , aaahhh, we will start in Nevada City and continue for some distance, ummmmm, and I think we will stop, mmmmmm, around, mmmm, here

Come on, plan a bit better and come up with a ROUTE AND DISTANCES when you announce a ROUTE
Old 10-22-09, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
They'll get people. Riders who don't ride the Giro. But I think in 2011 when this is a PT race, we'll see bigger names.
Congrats Alpe - when did you get promoted to Moderator ?? Now we will see some structure
Old 10-22-09, 16:51
Administrator

Looks like they announced just as I was posting.

Big Bear Lake has one fairly tough climb leading to it on Hwy 18 from the north. 18 from the SW is tough too, but only near Arrowhead lake, it flattens out near the BigBear for many kms. Route 38 from the SE isn't that difficult, long rolling terrain up to the lake.

There are a lot of fairly tough Cat 2 like, or maybe even Cat 1 climbs in this area. I'll need to see a map to analyze more.