Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012) - Page 77 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 09-24-12, 10:42

CN article summarising the one on L'Equipe: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tyga...-investigation

more to come, i'm sure.
Old 09-24-12, 10:45

Here is my summary of the interview. It is my take on what is said and isn't a translation. Hopefull this doesn't break any copyright rules.

There isn't really much new except for the death threats, it is basically a background piece on Travis Tygart and the USADA. Some of the main points:

- USADA is a high security environment since BALCO when Terry Madden received a death threat. Since then Tygart received one death threat when Landis confessed in 2010 and has received three death threats related to the Armstrong case which he believes to be from individuals. Now the doors are armoured and there are secure exits for the staff.

- He says he has to separate the consequences of doping sanctions (foundations, business etc) from doing his job to fight against doping and sanctioning the cheaters with the same rules for all.

- He goes into his personal history, his education and the importance his relationship with sports has had on his life.

- He talks about the political influence and how there had been a lot of political support for USADA in the past. He explains it is his job to communicate the functioning and usefulness of USADA.

- He gives kudos to his team, who he calls the best in their fields (lawyers, scientists, doctors) and emphasises the importance of working as a team.

- He explains the relationship with Novitzky and how they worked well together. He says they received no documents or evidence from the FDA even though they should have received at least the witness statements. They did however know who the witnesses were so were able to have them provide statements for USADA. He says the case goes far beyond Armstrong, that it is a perfectly organised conspiracy of the USPS team. Many have confessed, which won't keep them from being sanctioned - moderately.

- He recovered documents from AFLD relating to the 1999 positives, and has had an excellent working relationship with them.

- He explains why the statute of limitations doesn't apply due to the organised cover-up of proof and lies under oath.

- The transfer of the file to the UCI is imminent, at the end of the month.

- He explains the timing of the procedure, at first they didn't have enough facts, and then they stood back during the federal investigation. When that ended (which he qualifies as mysterious) the USADA took over.

- He admits that Ferrari's suspension is good advertising for his business, but the risk will be greater for athletes who want to work with him.

- Bruyneel has everything to lose. He wonders why he is going to arbitration, to gain time? To take advantage of the immobilism of the system? Bruyneel will be heard before the end of the year.

- He has talked to Armstrong two times by phone, in a very formal manner. Tagart proposed that they find a solution by collaborating. If Armstrong had of accepted he wouldn't have lost all his TDF victories by showing his good faith. The next day Armstrong started his lawsuit to attack the constitutionality of the process, which he lost.
Old 09-24-12, 10:52

Default Transcript of Travis Tygart’s interview with L’Équipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
Thanks for posting that link.

L’Équipe had just updated it's Cyclisme page with a teaser that Google translate called Armstrong, "a sad fate". Also in the translation was a slightly scary heading that said "Folder unveiled to the public at the end of the year". I took that to mean there were still a few months before we'd see the evidence used in the USADA sanction.

That tourdejose.com translation mentions a more reasonable date:
"It’s imminent. At the end of the month."
Old 09-24-12, 10:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyFlowers View Post

L’Équipe had just updated it's Cyclisme page with a teaser that Google translate called Armstrong, "a sad fate". Also in the translation was a slightly scary heading that said "Folder unveiled to the public at the end of the year". I took that to mean there were still a few months before we'd see the evidence used in the USADA sanction.

Just to clarify: the reasoned decision and evidence goes to (I believe): UCI, LA and WADA. We don't get to see it.

The end of year folder unveiling is if Bruyneel's case goes ahead and is a public hearing (as Tagart seems to say every time he mentions it).

The only way we find out stuff from LA's reasoned decision now is if USADA make public comment on it.
Old 09-24-12, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyFlowers View Post

There are 2 separate issues here.

Tygart says the transfer of the case file to the UCI is "imminent, at the end of the month"

He "hopes" the file will be made public by the end of the year, as far as I can tell there is not necessarily a link to the Bruyneel arbitration for this to happen but there could be.

Last edited by frenchfry; 09-24-12 at 11:25.
Old 09-24-12, 11:58

Looks to me like the full article is in the print version or by paid access online? Does anyone have a link to the original interview?
Old 09-24-12, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
There are 2 separate issues here.

Tygart says the transfer of the case file to the UCI is "imminent, at the end of the month"

He "hopes" the file will be made public by the end of the year, as far as I can tell there is not necessarily a link to the Bruyneel arbitration for this to happen but there could be.
It will be good to finally read it, but i guess we know most of it already.
Old 09-24-12, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
in case any one doubts Armstrong the bully,

Someone still trying to mess with Emma O'Reilly, i wonder who that could be?

The guy is a lowlife.

i am a nobody, very rarely use twitter and even my twitter was hacked about 20 minutes after i put a fairly polite question to @lancearmstrong

this was around a week ago
Old 09-24-12, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
It will be good to finally read it, but i guess we know most of it already.

According to L'Equipe, the information contained in the files will be made public "before the end of the year", and that their impact on public opinion of the former seven-times Tour de France winner and cancer survivor will be "terrible, 30 times greater than everything that has come out until now, through books or investigations."
Old 09-24-12, 12:15

30 times greater? Has Der Lenz been measured at 1650% Hct?