Chris Froome Discussion Thread. - Page 33 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 10-25-12, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeBet View Post
I'm not sure leadership is that important in cycling.
Yes, it can be the case. Purito's lost in La Vuelta is a good example on lack of leadership. For both, his team and himself.
Old 10-25-12, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofacycling View Post
Not Froome , broken by the Spaniards at the Vuelta means he'll get no respect from the others .

Are they still losing the team radios next year ? that'll make a massive difference because then they'll have to think .
The only natural leaders I can see are the three C's .........Cancellara , Cavendish and Contador .
Froome's level of respect within the team would not have been effected by his Vuelta performance. If anything he's gained respect. I think it was quite optimistic of many to believe that Froome would win the Vuelta after riding in support of Wiggins at the Tour and finishing 2nd in the gc, in addition to carrying his form from the Tour to a strong performance at the Olympics. That he ultimately grew fatigued as the Vuelta rolled into week 3 should've been expected.
Old 10-25-12, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
true. that's why also evans with hos talent could've won so much more as a leader. wiggins thought sucked in the 2010 tour because of the heat and he was out of shape that whole season. typical wiggin thinking after one good year he was already there
Additionally after his abysmal 2010 season, he was threatened with being sacked unless he began producing, that being his motivation to not have another lost season as result of his skating on his 2009 Tour performance.
Old 10-25-12, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeBet View Post
Who do you see as natural leaders in the peloton right now?
And do you believe Froome can turn into a leader at some point (if he's not yet)?

I'm not sure leadership is that important in cycling.
You don't have to have a Hinault-like personality to lead a team at the Tour, or to deal with the pressure of the leader's jersey, if that's what you mean. But you have to have certain qualities.
Old 10-25-12, 13:35

You need to be like Gilbert and chase after your own team-mates instead of waiting for them.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 10-25-12, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
You need to be like Gilbert and chase after your own team-mates instead of waiting for them.
LOL, I thought it was lame that Gilbert got criticized for that. I don't think he ever chased a teammate that could have possibly, you know, WON.
Old 10-25-12, 14:17

I really think that Froome should be doing the Giro/Vuelta. It's not that he can't win the tour, it's just that he hasn't won a GT yet and he's going to have to deal with Contador and a bunch of other big names at the Tour. I guess I mostly say this because I never bet against Contador, but it's just my thoughts. He will also have JRod who really had the most epic non-winning performance that you can have.

I don't think Wiggo will have too much of a problem at the Giro. I think he can hang with Nibz in the mountains and he will for sure get him on the ITT.
Old 10-25-12, 18:13

From velorooms, Froomedog towing the yellow jersey up the mountains
Old 11-02-12, 18:31

"As well as missing out on the green jersey, Cavendish said that Sky had been too cautious in their management of Chris Froome, who was twice asked to wait for Wiggins in the high mountains at the Tour."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/i-wa...says-cavendish
Old 11-02-12, 18:42

Hindsight is 20/20, Froome was asked to stay with Wiggo to help in case of mechanical more than to pace him as we all could see.