Moderators - Page 282 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 11-03-12, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanshearer View Post
Seems like the legal advice you're receiving is unnecessarily conservative.
Well based on how much they stick their necks out on cycling stories I'd say they are pretty much as far right to the extent that they are always in the dirt on the teeter toter of life.
Old 11-03-12, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukenwolf View Post
All it takes is importing a pre-userdelete backup into a test instance of the database and extracting the deleted thread for re-import into the productive instance. If we're told that it isn't possible, it will be untrue.
Hence the word improbable! There is no active admin on the forum so it's hard for things like this to be done.

Last edited by Ferminal; 11-03-12 at 01:45.
Old 11-03-12, 05:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Benson View Post
Kimmage: I'm looking into it. I have a sneaking suspicion it's my fault. A user asked that his account and details to be removed and with that I removed his posts. If he started the discussion that might have caused the thread to be deleted. If that's the case hopefully I can ask IT to look at this tomorrow and it should be possible to resurrect the Kimmage thread. Apologies, Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Benson View Post
It is technically possible. However, as you've noted there are quite a few steps to go through and this all takes time and has to be thoroughly tested to make sure we're not going to lose data in the process. It's potentially a day's work and that's on the assumption we can get the correct database backup from our operations team. Again, apologies the thread was deleted but we don't have the resources and time to resurrect it. The dev team are working on other site-improving projects at the moment and they have to take priority.

Daniel
Dan this is poor. Mods have had requests from users to delete posting history before, with answers that it was up to the user to do so. I find your stated rationale for deleting the Kimmage thread in its entirety hard to understand.

This is particularly so in view of the fact that the Kimmage case, similarly to the USADA case, is basically a case to win public support, via fact dissemination to the public and the journalist community who look here for information. With the major difference being that the Kimmage case is in a closed swiss court. Making the contribution of the Clinic to the "public" Kimmage case even more important.

I have also observed many long serving Clinic members express repeated concerns about management of Clinic issues (eg Papp). That did not register with me much when I had first arrived, but is starting to bother me now.

There are many good suggestions here to help you manage the Clinic better. But you need to pick up on them. One is more active moderation, one is to change legal jurisdiction, one is to push back harder on legal. Legal does not run your Clinic board, you do. And you are paid to make the big calls, even if that means pushing the story hard under threat of (UCI?) legal action (which a conspiracist could argue is the real reason you have pulled this thread). That is the gig you have. It is your call to accept or push back internal legal advice, and to delete posts not threads where required. Likewise pushing back on IT. This is not a days job. Your IT folk are trying to register a day's work of internal hours. You need to push back and insist it gets done.

Please. We all put a lot of effort into content here. We deserve your attention and (mostly) correct decisions, not short fob off lame excuse posts.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Last edited by Tinman; 11-03-12 at 05:58.
Old 11-03-12, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Hence the word improbable! There is no active admin on the forum so it's hard for things like this to be done.
Come on Ferminal. I accept you may not be an IT wizz, but for legal as well as good business practice reasons there must be a back up. In case the system goes down. That can be accessed. For a thread to be resurrected.

And the excuse that there is no admin to do this doesn't wash. It's IT's job, not a mod.

Old 11-03-12, 06:13

Dan,

The conspiracist in me says that the two deleted threads in the past week have a common theme. They both substantiate significant UCI mismanagement at a critical time in the current UCI crisis.

No pressure from UCI or management above to close these threads, right?

Not a good look. In any case.

Old 11-03-12, 06:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Come on Ferminal. I accept you may not be an IT wizz, but for legal as well as good business practice reasons there must be a back up. In case the system goes down. That can be accessed. For a thread to be resurrected.

And the excuse that there is no admin to do this doesn't wash. It's IT's job, not a mod.
Again, I said improbable.

Why - not because there is no backup, but because we can't get one man-hour for anything on this forum for the last three years so why would it change just to restore a single thread?

I suggest if you have a problem with this you send lots of emails to Future.
Old 11-03-12, 06:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Again, I said improbable.

Why - not because there is no backup, but because we can't get one man-hour for anything on this forum for the last three years so why would it change just to restore a single thread?
Again, Dan needs to push for it. The Clinic is the leading anti-doping social media platform in the world. In a time when social media is the catalyst for change. The clinic doping platform could move to other sports if the company wanted it to. And get bigger still. But then, there are other boards keen to take this spot...

Dan needs to make the business case to his seniors to take this more seriously. And get you more mod & IT support. Just because it didnt happen in the past is no reason not to get it going forward.

Just like he needs to push back legal harder, and IT. I know easy to say when sitting here, but believe me, no different in my real life job...

Old 11-03-12, 06:57

Agreed, but you've seen what Future think of this place with the ad debacles.
Old 11-03-12, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Dan this is poor.

There are many good suggestions here to help you manage the Clinic better. But you need to pick up on them. One is more active moderation, one is to change legal jurisdiction, one is to push back harder on legal. Legal does not run your Clinic board, you do. And you are paid to make the big calls, even if that means pushing the story hard under threat of (UCI?) legal action (which a conspiracist could argue is the real reason you have pulled this thread). That is the gig you have. It is your call to accept or push back internal legal advice, and to delete posts not threads where required. Likewise pushing back on IT. This is not a days job. Your IT folk are trying to register a day's work of internal hours. You need to push back and insist it gets done.
Agh man, you made me laugh so hard there TOO FUNNY!
Now I have to clean up all this spat out drink
Old 11-03-12, 09:45

Is this the same legal people who still haven't got back to you about Joe Papp...

CN and the UCI really do have a lot in common. Self-important, Corrupt, devoid of integrity, unaccountable, staffed by petty incompetents (the kind of people who worry about saddle angle or swearing but ignore doping and illegal activity).

Wood, trees. Make sure you can see one for the other.

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal