Where's Tony Rominger - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-02-12, 16:27

We could start a club of cycling fans of fallen idols

indeed and again, very sad. as mentioned, used to be a rather humble and modest guy as rider back then.
Old 11-03-12, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by la.margna View Post
We could start a club of cycling fans of fallen idols

indeed and again, very sad. as mentioned, used to be a rather humble and modest guy as rider back then.
Just found out Romingers mother still lives in my hometown in Denmark... she is an avid bridge player :-D. These people are real human beings with family. Rominger might have been involved in some shady business, but there is no reason to judge him too hard... as far as I know he is not a megalomanic ******* like Armstrong.
Old 11-03-12, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroh1488 View Post
Just found out Romingers mother still lives in my hometown in Denmark... she is an avid bridge player :-D. These people are real human beings with family. Rominger might have been involved in some shady business, but there is no reason to judge him too hard... as far as I know he is not a megalomanic ******* like Armstrong.
No-one comes close to Armstrong for megalomania

From the rumours I'm hearing, Padua is going to be bigger than Puerto. Not just Italians either, plenty of big name Stranieri beyond the already publicized Russians. Watch this space.
Old 11-03-12, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroh1488 View Post
No one can beat LA, maybe just a handful of mean dictators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
No-one comes close to Armstrong for megalomania

From the rumours I'm hearing, Padua is going to be bigger than Puerto. Not just Italians either, plenty of big name Stranieri beyond the already publicized Russians. Watch this space.
Can't wait for the **** to hit the fan. Let's hope the clean out continues and the momentum for a change for the better remains. Although, how many times have we dreamed about a new clean area? But then again, according to numerous stats and indications and also riders, it definitely seems that pro cycling has become substantially cleaner during the last three to four years and cannot be compared to the dark era anymore...

Sorry for hijacking... back to Rominger... I wish he would publicly confess that he ****ed up during his time as manager and has learned and want now to become a positive force for clean cycling and protecting young athletes. I keep on dreaming...
Old 11-03-12, 20:47

Quote:
Can't wait for the **** to hit the fan. Let's hope the clean out continues and the momentum for a change for the better remains. Although, how many times have we dreamed about a new clean area?

But then again, according to numerous stats and indications and also riders, it definitely seems that pro cycling has become substantially cleaner during the last three to four years and cannot be compared to the dark era anymore...
Not sure if what you have written above is tongue in cheek, but the last three to four years may look cleaner, but this investigation into paying Ferrari for services (and I am not ever going to believe people pay that much for coaching alone, sorry Mick) started 2 years ago.

Quote:
The investigations by the prosecutor from Padova, which began in 2010 ...
Unless people like Schwazer are doing EPO off their own initiative and Ferrari is completely innocent...

Quote:
... and should be completed by the end of the month, are in danger of becoming a tsunami as riders and top athletes, such as the Olympic race walker Alex Schwazer (who tested positived for EPO) and other athletes from the biathlon and triathlon, all used to visit Ferrari at a flat he rented in Saint Moritz or even in a camper he would park by the toll-gate for the motorway at Rioveggio.
The current era is cleaner like the peloton was "cleaner" after 1997's 50% Hct rule was introduced.

Last edited by Dear Wiggo; 11-03-12 at 20:49.
Old 11-04-12, 16:55

@Wiggo: "cleaner" doesn't mean "clean", so still need for dope doctors for all those who want to go to the limit.

Quote:
Wiggo: The current era is cleaner like the peloton was "cleaner" after 1997's 50% Hct rule was introduced.
With regard to the recent years, look at the various scientific studies that look at blood passport data and also W/kg figures. Cycling is substantially cleaner, that's a fact. But again "cleaner" doesn't mean "clean".
Old 11-04-12, 17:49

Quote:
@Wiggo: "cleaner" doesn't mean "clean", so still need for dope doctors for all those who want to go to the limit.

With regard to the recent years, look at the various scientific studies that look at blood passport data and also W/kg figures. Cycling is substantially cleaner, that's a fact. But again "cleaner" doesn't mean "clean".
The teams all have their own doctors (OPQS have 5), epo is an old drug now and plenty have had time to study its optimum application.

The reason the riders dont so race so much anymore is they are training more with dope.

Used to be that racing would get riders up to speed. Now it is training with dope that gets riders up to speed.
Old 11-04-12, 21:33

@Wiggo & @Benotti69
I will stop discussing whether pro cycling is substantially cleaner now than four years or more ago, because:

1) it's a Rominger thread and not a thread regarding this particular topic (current cleanliness compared to darker periods)

2) it's a fact, evidenced by various statistic measures

3) 2 is further corrobated by personal discussions I had with riders who have always told me what's really going on