Who will win 2013 GIRO? - Page 17 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win 2013 GIRO?
Nibali 90 32.03%
Rodriguez 29 10.32%
Hesjedal 16 5.69%
Basso 9 3.20%
Wiggins 106 37.72%
Scarponi 2 0.71%
Others 29 10.32%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-12, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
I think Nibali will improve overall at Astana. And I do think Vino could encourage him to go on more daring and risky attacks. In a single day race like LBL attacking from far out isn't as risky as doing it in a GT because those moves often end up working in the classics and you don't have to think about being fresh the next day like you do in a 3 week race.
Yeah but he did a daring attack in LBL and he failed. What else Vino could have done? I'm containing myself not to say something else here.

Quote:
Nibali really didn't attack Wiggins that much in the Tour. So I think Vino could encourage him to take those risky moves in the GT's in addition to in the classics.
Re: Vino, I really dislike this guy. This is very close to being a dealbreaker for me in supporting Nibali. Back to the Tour, how much can he have attacked? Remember when he attacked and connected with Sagan? Who went with him? His team was really crappy and the competition was reduced to JVB. I think it's unfair that you said he didn't attack.
Old 11-02-12, 23:36
Editor-in-chief

Don't think Purito will be able to make all the TT km's in this year's route work for him. Although, i'd imagine that he has extra motivation to continue to work on his TTing after this year, so I'm not completely discounting him.

I can't see Wiggo being able to cope with the attacks that may or may not go down considering his climbing lead-out.

Something in me sees Nibali as most likely considering his new team and probably fresher mentally than Wiggins who's been in the frying media spotlight for quite some time now..
Old 11-02-12, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by schralp View Post
Don't think Purito will be able to make all the TT km's in this year's route work for him. Although, i'd imagine that he has extra motivation to continue to work on his TTing after this year, so I'm not completely discounting him.

I can't see Wiggo being able to cope with the attacks that may or may not go down considering his climbing lead-out.

Something in me sees Nibali as most likely considering his new team and probably fresher mentally than Wiggins who's been in the frying media spotlight for quite some time now..
So perhaps a Wiggins, Nibali and J-Rod battle. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-03-12, 00:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
Yeah but he did a daring attack in LBL and he failed. What else Vino could have done? I'm containing myself not to say something else here.
Yeah, his LBL attack didn't work. But like I said, it's less risky to attack in a classic then a GT.

Quote:
Re: Vino, I really dislike this guy. This is very close to being a dealbreaker for me in supporting Nibali. Back to the Tour, how much can he have attacked? Remember when he attacked and connected with Sagan? Who went with him? His team was really crappy and the competition was reduced to JVB. I think it's unfair that you said he didn't attack.
I didn't say he didn't attack, just that he didn't attack much. And yes attacking more in that Tour probably wouldn't have done too much since Wiggins was always going to win it. Since that was the most recent example of his performance in a GT I was using it as an example of a race when he didn't make a lot of meaningful moves/attacks over the course of the race.

But at Astana he will have a much better team and more motivation to win the Giro I think, so I think he will be more inclined to attack Wiggins more then he did in this years Tour. And he will have more chances to do so then in the Tour.
Old 11-03-12, 00:04
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
So perhaps a Wiggins, Nibali and J-Rod battle. Looking forward to it.
Don't discount Hesjedal just yet
Old 11-03-12, 00:11

Quote:
Don't discount Hesjedal just yet
Perhaps, but he wasn't tested. If we take Wiggins from 2012 he can go very far, J-Rod responded very well against Valverde and Contador in the Vuelta 2012. What did Hejsedal respond to?
Old 11-03-12, 00:45

Quote:
I think Nibali will improve overall at Astana. And I do think Vino could encourage him to go on more daring and risky attacks. In a single day race like LBL attacking from far out isn't as risky as doing it in a GT because those moves often end up working in the classics and you don't have to think about being fresh the next day like you do in a 3 week race. You can just leave it all out on the road. Nibali really didn't attack Wiggins that much in the Tour. So I think Vino could encourage him to take those risky moves in the GT's in addition to in the classics.

Plus a long time pro like Vino will know exactly where and when he should attack.
On the other hand if you attack in the classics everyone is on you. If you do it in a gt, especially these days, they can underestimate you. And people have bad days so you might could eliminate an opponent even if everyone else catches you.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-03-12, 00:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
On the other hand if you attack in the classics everyone is on you. If you do it in a gt, especially these days, they can underestimate you. And people have bad days so you might could eliminate an opponent even if everyone else catches you.
True, attacking and getting away from everybody in the classics can definitely be harder then doing it in a GT, which it should be. Of course Sky's entire race strategy is pace Wiggins up the mountains and don't let the other big contenders get too far away, so they might be more determined to ensure a guy like Nibali doesn't get away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
Perhaps, but he wasn't tested. If we take Wiggins from 2012 he can go very far, J-Rod responded very well against Valverde and Contador in the Vuelta 2012. What did Hejsedal respond to?
Stage 20 and 15 Rodriguez attacked and took time on Hesjedal. He had to respond there to limit his losses. Hesjedal isn't the type to just ride in with the pack knowing he can win it in the TT though.

But so much can happen between now and then, and in the race, that I don't think we should not consider Hesjedal a contender quite yet.
Old 11-03-12, 01:05

Stage 20 and 15 Rodriguez attacked and took time on Hesjedal. He had to respond there to limit his losses. Hesjedal isn't the type to just ride in with the pack knowing he can win it in the TT though.

But so much can happen between now and then, and in the race, that I don't think we should not consider Hesjedal a contender quite yet.[/QUOTE]

I would give Hesjedal 5% chance at this point.
Old 11-03-12, 08:14

I dont trust Hesjedal too.My picks are Purito,Wiggins,Vincenzo and Quintana if he rides and limits his losses to Nibali and Wiggins in TT.He really impressed me this year and I trust him in the big mountains.
I wonder what result Pelizotti can do?Top10?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English