Stars and Watercarriers - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 10-31-12, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
* Less leg extension than today. They all look like their saddles are too low (compared to today). True?
Not based on my recollection. The seat relative to the crank is about the same. It's that the framesets were bigger and the geometry tended to be more relaxed which "lowers" your seat relative to modern geometry. The relaxed geometry is something missing in most modern bikes.

I don't think the debate over foot and hip position has faded one bit.
Old 11-03-12, 10:35

great thread!

dont wanna start another so:
what you think? why the gaps between the first places, is so small/minor nowdays
in former times gaps was massive or greater(talk about GTs)

my opinion:
- technial development
- medical and dietic development
- roads are better
- maybe race mentality changed

maybe all true, but what is the main reason?
iam very curious, what you said

thx

pls dont mention the exceptions (Aimar, Janssen etc)
Old 11-03-12, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca and me View Post
great thread!

what you think? why the gaps between the first places, is so small/minor nowdays

my opinion:
- technial development
- roads are better

thx

Maybe the UCI points system makes people actually fight for top-10 places a lot more fiercely, thus bringing everyone closer together?
Old 11-03-12, 11:47

Stronger doms and more even abilities.
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 11-17-12, 00:39

1974 Giro was won with a 12 second difference, the second smallest margin in Giro history.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-17-12 at 00:49.
Old 11-17-12, 01:48

Quote:

my opinion:
- technial development
- roads are better

There's a far greater strength in depth these days. Now you have Americans, Australians, Eastern Europeans, Colombians, Brits, Scandanavians etc..
Back in Merckx's day, even Hinault's, they were very rare. Even Germans were fairly rare.

For example, look at Sky's Tour winning team - British (including Kenyan), Norwegian, Austrian, Australian, German and Belarussian - these aren't 'traditional' cycling nationalities.

The strength of field back when Merckx was around was not dissimilar to women's cycling now.

Last edited by Parker; 11-17-12 at 01:57.
Old 11-17-12, 04:04

I love the old documentaries. I have a neat little DVD collection of the following:

A Sunday in Hell
Stars and Watercarriers
The Impossible Hour
Le Course en Tete
The Greatest Show on Earth

Are there any others from this era? I would like to see movies like this about Bernard Hinault.
Old 11-17-12, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
There's a far greater strength in depth these days. Now you have Americans, Australians, Eastern Europeans, Colombians, Brits, Scandanavians etc..
Back in Merckx's day, even Hinault's, they were very rare. Even Germans were fairly rare.

For example, look at Sky's Tour winning team - British (including Kenyan), Norwegian, Austrian, Australian, German and Belarussian - these aren't 'traditional' cycling nationalities.

The strength of field back when Merckx was around was not dissimilar to women's cycling now.
Actually, if you look at the Giro's field in the 70s you'll notice much more nationalities than in the last decade of Giro history!

Last 10 years it has been an Italian affair and that is only now changing. I don't count 2008 or 2011 because the only reason Contador did the Giro was because he wasn't invited to the Tour and because of his positive dope test in 2010.

Now you have Rodriguez, Wiggins and the likes going to the Giro though. In the 70s you had José Manuel Fuentes(one of the best climbers ever), Eddy Merckx(best cyclist ever), Freddy Maertens, Pollentier(Belgian rider, winner of the Giro, could've won the Tour if it wasn't for his famous little incident), Johan de Muynck(Belgian winner of the Giro d'Italia), José Pesarrodona Altimi(Spanish climber), Ole Ritter(Danish rider, holder of the hour record at one point), Francisco Galdos(Spanish), Gösta Pettersson(Swedish Giro winner), Vicente López Carril(Spanish rider), Felice Gimondi(Italian rider) and many more Italians of course.

Merckx has also ridden against the Soviet Russians in his career, and beat all of their best riders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Giro_d%27Italia

Only 2 Italian riders in the top ten of the Giro. The Giro was almost the equal of the Tour in that era... So that balances out the fact that cycling is more international now. Because the best riders of that time were riding the Giro... Unlike now.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-17-12 at 16:48.
Old 11-17-12, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

thank you, intresting viewpoint (and new for me)
and your last sentence is a very good example
Old 11-17-12, 16:25

Quote:
great thread!

my opinion:
- technial development
- roads are better

thx

real reason is shorter and less difficult stages and most of all globalisation of the sport