Moderators - Page 283 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 11-03-12, 12:06
Managing editor

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Benson

Tinman, there's no conspiracy over the two deleted threads and no contact or pressure from the UCI. One deletion was down to legal advice, the other to me unticking the wrong box when deleting a user profile:

"There are many good suggestions here to help you manage the Clinic better. But you need to pick up on them. One is more active moderation, one is to change legal jurisdiction, one is to push back harder on legal. Legal does not run your Clinic board, you do. And you are paid to make the big calls, even if that means pushing the story hard under threat of (UCI?) legal action (which a conspiracist could argue is the real reason you have pulled this thread). That is the gig you have. It is your call to accept or push back internal legal advice, and to delete posts not threads where required. Likewise pushing back on IT. This is not a days job. Your IT folk are trying to register a day's work of internal hours. You need to push back and insist it gets done."

1. We're always on the look out for more mods so if you want to help with that please drop me a line. We only have a few mods and they do a great job but more help would be appreciated and would benefit the community.
2. We're a UK registered company, so we can't change that.
3. We have discussions with legal, especially over content we run on the site, but away from this specific thread we deleted: we're not risking legal proceedings over a forum thread. If we're sued I don't expect you to pay our legal fees or safeguard jobs. If legal suggest we delete a thread, or posts, it's because they have the company's interests and the law at heart and that's understandable. An alternative is we moderate every post before it goes up, or we simply say no doping discussion on the site, or we do away with the forum, or you trust that we (editorial, legal, mods) are doing the job as best we can, trying to provide a workable, free to use space where cycling fans can discuss almost every topic, rider, race, allegation without scrutiny. Occasionally, content will need to be removed though.
4. Future own the website, not me.

Cheers

Dan
Old 11-03-12, 18:52

Dan just out of interest have you approached Future with a request to focusing on improving the forum?

If so it should be in their interest to promote this forum as much as possible.
Old 11-03-12, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Benson View Post
Tinman, there's no conspiracy over the two deleted threads and no contact or pressure from the UCI. One deletion was down to legal advice, the other to me unticking the wrong box when deleting a user profile:

"There are many good suggestions here to help you manage the Clinic better. But you need to pick up on them. One is more active moderation, one is to change legal jurisdiction, one is to push back harder on legal. Legal does not run your Clinic board, you do. And you are paid to make the big calls, even if that means pushing the story hard under threat of (UCI?) legal action (which a conspiracist could argue is the real reason you have pulled this thread). That is the gig you have. It is your call to accept or push back internal legal advice, and to delete posts not threads where required. Likewise pushing back on IT. This is not a days job. Your IT folk are trying to register a day's work of internal hours. You need to push back and insist it gets done."

1. We're always on the look out for more mods so if you want to help with that please drop me a line. We only have a few mods and they do a great job but more help would be appreciated and would benefit the community.
3. We have discussions with legal, especially over content we run on the site, but away from this specific thread we deleted: we're not risking legal proceedings over a forum thread. If we're sued I don't expect you to pay our legal fees or safeguard jobs. If legal suggest we delete a thread, or posts, it's because they have the company's interests and the law at heart and that's understandable. An alternative is we moderate every post before it goes up, or we simply say no doping discussion on the site, or we do away with the forum, or you trust that we (editorial, legal, mods) are doing the job as best we can, trying to provide a workable, free to use space where cycling fans can discuss almost every topic, rider, race, allegation without scrutiny. Occasionally, content will need to be removed though.

Cheers

Dan
Despite being slightly aggrieved over the deletion of both XZTT/Martin Hardie threads, I want to voice some support for Dan and CN here. They provide a service and they can only be expected to take so many risks. It would be irresponsible for them not to follow legal advice. I appreciate you guys take the time to give us at least some explanation.
Old 11-03-12, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
The Clinic is the leading anti-doping social media platform in the world.
It used to be. Not anymore, it lags now behind twitter, and various indie sites and blogs. The trouble with the clinic is, is while there is some great conversation and discussion, it is padded out by an incredible amount of bile, irrelevant diatribes and petty arguments.

Somewhere in the middle of all of that bread, is the filling. Its finding it is proving increasingly difficult.
Old 11-03-12, 23:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Despite being slightly aggrieved over the deletion of both XZTT/Martin Hardie threads, I want to voice some support for Dan and CN here. They provide a service and they can only be expected to take so many risks. It would be irresponsible for them not to follow legal advice. I appreciate you guys take the time to give us at least some explanation.
+1, I for one am very thankful to Cyclingnews, Dan, and the mods for providing us with a forum and keeping the forum going.
Old 11-04-12, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Benson View Post

Cheers

Dan
Dan thanks for the answer. I do appreciate that, as well as what you and the mods are putting into the site. It's what's not happening that is causing the occasional major frustration.

Social media is developing rapidly. Future needs to recognize the value AND opportunity with what has been built to date. Twitter is not the answer. It complements but is not the same. What is keeping many here is the singificant number of value add contributors AND the user interface. If it wasn't for the user interface many folk here would be more active elsewhere. But this may be only short term as your competitors will catch up.

So please please keep making the case to Future to invest (eg in mods support), to market the site, and to leverage it more visibly into news. And I trust that our (my) mails will help you in making this case also to Future.

I have thought about volunteering as a mod before, because I value the place a lot and I strongly believe in contributing positively and actively to affect change in general. Unfortunately I am spending too much time here already. It is affecting my other life, which I cannot afford. Maybe in a few years time when I can dedicate myself in the appropriate way.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 11-04-12, 04:24

Legal advise us sounds grand but their lawyer could be just as funny as this :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIVjOe6hDU
Old 11-05-12, 17:19

Hi mods. In the clinic there are two JV threads, and I was wondering if that if they could be merged, now that JV responses in both of them.
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 11-06-12, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
Hi mods. In the clinic there are two JV threads, and I was wondering if that if they could be merged, now that JV responses in both of them.
Good idea. That would be a lot more practical.
Old 11-06-12, 12:50

Several Clinic threads turning diabolical, completely off topic, off anything really. No visible moderation at all.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”