Reynolds 853...repairable? - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 10-29-12, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
true enough and I will talk to him about that...was just curious as there are few experts out here via bikes if they knew much about 853 and repairs...when I google it I get conflicting answers...some say no problem and others say no way via 853...I wrote reynolds as well...no response yet...

as for the steel is real comment I have realized this was pretty much my fault...last year I wanted to use a thomson stem I had...so took out the old quill stem I had in there and bought one of those stem adapters you can then put a newer stem on...the straight stem theadless adapters I mean...upon pulling it out I realize that it is, was far longer than my original quill stem and went right down to the place I found the crack...right down to where the head meets the downtube...so upon tightening I put torque where it shouldn't be...then rode a ton of miles on it all year and put a massive amount of torque exactly where it aint supposed to be...I am a truly a total dumb a## for this and if this frame is gone it is my fault...I feel awful about it...
Using a long stem adapter had nothing to do with the failure. The adapter clamps into the steerer tube and can't pass any bad stresses to the head tube. It may have altered the way the steer flexed under load a little, but I still can't see that affecting the head tube in any way.

No, your bike is just worn out. Steel will eventually fail from fatigue. I wouldn't think abut a repair at all. When a part of your frame is metallurgically "tired", fatigue and cracking problems elsewhere may not be far behind. Retire it.
Old 11-03-12, 20:34

well, the update if anyone is following or particularly cares...picked up a used lugged Serotta Colorado lt frame that is in great condition for a good price (450 bucks)...perfect fit and it's in great shape...just didn't have the finances to go for a new steel lugged frame sorry to say...and will do a build over winter with the duraace gruppo from the lemond I now have torn apart...

Just for kicks my buddy and I did in fact tig weld the lemond, for the price of how much beer we could down while in his shop with all those nice explosive things round...I always wanted a bike just to put on my K kinetic trainer and keep there rather than switching bikes on and off it as I have always done...figure the weld might be good enough to withstand the trainer or if it isnt then no big deal, no big crash anyhow...threw an old back fulcrum 7 speed wheel and campy rear der., along with a downtube shifter on it for the minimal...as I am partial to the frame, the good memories I had on it, and also having a trainer bike just set up going nowhere, maybe it will spur me on to hit the trainer more when I can.

appreciate all the feedback guys...

Last edited by The Gnome; 11-03-12 at 20:51.
Old 11-03-12, 21:53

Nice to see you didn't bury the Lemond. Hope you get another 13 years of life out of the serotta.
By the way you need to campy on it not shimano. Maybe your still a bit hung over. We'll forgive you.
Old 11-03-12, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiemme View Post
Nice to see you didn't bury the Lemond. Hope you get another 13 years of life out of the serotta.
By the way you need to campy on it not shimano. Maybe your still a bit hung over. We'll forgive you.
lol...well, I would love to Campy the thing...my Merckx Leader is all campy record...but have to make do with what I have on hand...which is Dura...I start doing another retro rebuild with campy I am gonna need a second job...I am hardly buying food for the next few weeks as it is via the Serotta...and would rather have time to actually ride...so shimano it is...I love Campy stuff and prefer it, but really can't find much fault either with all the shimano stuff I have used over the years...pretty reliable...

Last edited by The Gnome; 11-03-12 at 22:17.
Old 11-03-12, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiemme View Post
+1

to the OP make sure your repaired frame never gets back into circulation. I had a friend who had a similar repair done, loaned the frame to a friend for his windtrainer and eventually,it got sold. My friend tried to track it down but was unable to get it back. He found out it changed hands several times and got repainted by an unscrupulous individual who misrepresented the bike when he sold it to an unsuspecting customer.
Old 11-03-12, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninboy View Post
+1

to the OP make sure your repaired frame never gets back into circulation. I had a friend who had a similar repair done, loaned the frame to a friend for his windtrainer and eventually,it got sold. My friend tried to track it down but was unable to get it back. He found out it changed hands several times and got repainted by an unscrupulous individual who misrepresented the bike when he sold it to an unsuspecting customer.
nah, no worries there...after I got the weld done I had to take it out for a last road ride so went out for a 40 miler...what the hell and say goodbye ect..it was a kick and felt good when I thought it dead which it sorta is...but it is retired to the trainer and all pulled apart...I certainly could never sell it on in good conscience or any sorta conscience really...don't want to kill myself, let alone some other person...no way at all...I don't sell stuff on anyhow, just collect and hoard it too much...it's a curse...must be something from childhood...
Old 11-04-12, 01:17

Quote:
...picked up a used lugged Serotta Colorado lt frame that is in great condition for a good price (450 bucks)...perfect fit and it's in great shape...
Very nice replacement Gnome! Bolded is the key no matter the name, but really hard to go wrong with a Serotta. Class ride, enjoy!!!
Old 11-04-12, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Very nice replacement Gnome! Bolded is the key no matter the name, but really hard to go wrong with a Serotta. Class ride, enjoy!!!
Thanks GM...it does fit perfectly...looks perfect as a fit tho have not built it up yet but the numbers are spot on...as well inside for a 92 frame via rust...even scoped it with the help of my airplane buddy who has those scope view cameras for planes or into your intestine...she is as clean as a nun's orifice...very excited, happy and abit calm now...again thanks for all the advice folks...will try to post a pic when built...it's a gorgeous black and green frame...old, but good I hope for the long run...

only worry: this was to replace my lemond which I used in all weather...rain...no matter what...don't want to baby this thing and not ride as I already baby the merckx leader so I want to ride this thing at all times even when it is cloudy...if you know what I mean...want a backup real rider...gonna do my best...

Last edited by The Gnome; 11-04-12 at 01:33.
Old 11-12-12, 13:08

last follow up...well, have certainly retired the bike to the trainer and it will stay that way...but interestingly, heard back from Reynolds and they assure me that they believe the crack can be tig welded with a few specifications like which rod property to use ect and be fine...as I say, I am going to err on side of caution and not ride it but it is odd Reynolds thinks that when not only here, but on other frame building forums ect plenty of folks with experience say that 853 really can't be tigged and is an accident waiting to happen...
Old 11-12-12, 20:40

Quote:
last follow up...well, have certainly retired the bike to the trainer and it will stay that way...but interestingly, heard back from Reynolds and they assure me that they believe the crack can be tig welded with a few specifications like which rod property to use ect and be fine...as I say, I am going to err on side of caution and not ride it but it is odd Reynolds thinks that when not only here, but on other frame building forums ect plenty of folks with experience say that 853 really can't be tigged and is an accident waiting to happen...
Re-welding a crack is achievable, however as Reynold's probably pointed out a specific filler rod is required and possibly a heat treatment of the frame to normalise the material after it has been welded. This is not a really an economically feasible solution for a Bicycle frame.

You must keep in mind that Reynolds tubing is used to manufacture a whole range of other products and re-welding a crack maybe a feasible option lets say for example an Ultra Light Plane, Race Car Roll Cage, Race Car Chassis or even a Motor Bike Frame. All of which would cost far more than a bicycle frame.