A Dave Millar thread - Page 13 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-03-12, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Lashed out and bought his eBook today, after reading some snippets on a blog or in an article somewhere pricked my curiosity. Zorzoli having mates on pro teams I think it was.

602 pages. Value
It's a long book. I finished it last week. I do tend to agree with the consensus in this thread. He seems to be using his stance as a "reformed doper" to build a new career in cycling. I'm sure he is thinking ahead to retiring so he will probably be looking at moving up in cycling management.

He did make some interesting comments about Wiggins when he was at Garmin and around the time he left for Sky. Not doping related, but just more about his personality and not really working for the team (Garmin).
“We focused solely on finding the truth without being influenced by celebrity or non-celebrity, threats, personal attacks or political pressure because that is what clean athletes deserve and demand,” Tygart said.
Old 11-03-12, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
He did make some interesting comments about Wiggins when he was at Garmin and around the time he left for Sky. Not doping related, but just more about his personality and not really working for the team (Garmin).
I read the interview somewhere from ~2009 - he was almost angry about it all.
Old 11-03-12, 14:46

Quote:
I read the interview somewhere from ~2009 - he was almost angry about it all.
Yes, probably some hard feelings about him not being able to ride for Sky, although in the book he does profess strong loyalty to Garmin. Kind of have to read between the lines a little. I imagine he felt slighted at not being able to ride for Sky.
“We focused solely on finding the truth without being influenced by celebrity or non-celebrity, threats, personal attacks or political pressure because that is what clean athletes deserve and demand,” Tygart said.
Old 11-03-12, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
The nice thing about Millar is that he is a reliable indicator of which direction the wind is blowing. If Armstrong appeals to CAS and wins then expect Millar to tell us that Armstrong is a true champion and he always believed in him.
Excellent post +1 Many thanks. Millar is a pro of the old school - deeply cynical and with no respect for the fans. I do wish the English speaking press would not give him oxygen. However there is no hope of that - just look at their collective inability to ask Brailsford a single searching question.
Old 11-03-12, 16:44

Someone depending on appreciation so strongly will always be vulnerable to influence of any kind as long as it comes with some reward.

I’ve read his book and it was a hard read. It felt like he was still hiding things and some parts are clearly made up in order to make himself look better. The comment on Wiggins is a very strange element, but I think, they both might have had part in the process.

I got suspicious when his comments about Hein & Pat changed to criticism on Hein alone and urging Pat to start some changes. Maybe he thinks, that there will be no role for him in the UCI without Pat’s support.

Whoever will have a say in this: Make sure to keep him out. He will end as as corrupt as the present board. Just keep Millar out. He can do better things in other roles.
Old 11-03-12, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
Yes, probably some hard feelings about him not being able to ride for Sky, although in the book he does profess strong loyalty to Garmin. Kind of have to read between the lines a little. I imagine he felt slighted at not being able to ride for Sky.
Which is strange (ok to me it is) given Millar is a part-owner of Garmin and yet wanted to ride for Sky. Would he do that as a part-owner still? Surely that would be a conflict of interest?

The whole point of the ownership was to reinforce the "clean" ethos of Garmin.

And now that he hasn't had the chance - I bet he's thanking <insert deity of choice> that he isn't going through this new Sky saga, coz he has a past, patently, and would be ousted big time...
Old 11-03-12, 20:37
Administrator

Re the book. I'm sure Dave feels better having written it but after reading it a while ago I was left with the feeling he has so much more to tell. Maybe if he was writing now, post Lance getting busted, it would offer more.
Old 11-03-12, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddythefrog View Post
Excellent post +1 Many thanks. Millar is a pro of the old school - deeply cynical and with no respect for the fans. I do wish the English speaking press would not give him oxygen.
Agreed. I've never quite understood why the press fawns all over him.
Old 11-03-12, 22:32

Quote:
Which is strange (ok to me it is) given Millar is a part-owner of Garmin and yet wanted to ride for Sky. Would he do that as a part-owner still? Surely that would be a conflict of interest?

The whole point of the ownership was to reinforce the "clean" ethos of Garmin.

And now that he hasn't had the chance - I bet he's thanking <insert deity of choice> that he isn't going through this new Sky saga, coz he has a past, patently, and would be ousted big time...
That is definitely true-he should be very happy not to have been on the Sky team. He would be in a world of hurt now if he had been.
Old 11-03-12, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
Re the book. I'm sure Dave feels better having written it but after reading it a while ago I was left with the feeling he has so much more to tell. Maybe if he was writing now, post Lance getting busted, it would offer more.
I was thinking about that too-how he would have written about Lance if he was writing the book now.