A Dave Millar thread - Page 14 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-03-12, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
Re the book. I'm sure Dave feels better having written it but after reading it a while ago I was left with the feeling he has so much more to tell. Maybe if he was writing now, post Lance getting busted, it would offer more.
agree on the Armstring thing. The way i read that section was that he knew a lot more but either he or his pulishers were scared of litigation.
Old 11-03-12, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty's Cakes View Post
agree on the Armstring thing. The way i read that section was that he knew a lot more but either he or his pulishers were scared of litigation.
Lance is one of the few people that called Millar when he got caught. How many people does Lance call and offer emotional support to when they get caught, and what is their relationship with Lance?

Come to think of it, what does Lance usually say when he calls people who he associates with when they get caught?

Is it possible Lance called Millar and said, "Squeal and you're dead meat" and Millar reworded it slightly to "Lance called and said it's all going to be ok"?
Old 11-04-12, 01:42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
That is definitely true-he should be very happy not to have been on the Sky team. He would be in a world of hurt now if he had been.
Bit of a non-sequitor. Given he was a very high profile doper prior to the invention of Sky - he would only have got on that team if Brailsford had adopted a Garmin like policy rather than ZT - in which case none, or very little, of this would be happening...
Old 11-04-12, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Come to think of it, what does Lance usually say when he calls people who he associates with when they get caught
Probably calls them a 'choad'.

Now it's Lance the Choad.

Choad Armstrong has a good ring to it. Same number of letters as Lance but rolls off the tongue better.

Choad Armstrong! ChoadStrong!

Last edited by peterst6906; 11-04-12 at 14:43.
Old 11-04-12, 04:27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
Re the book. I'm sure Dave feels better having written it but after reading it a while ago I was left with the feeling he has so much more to tell. Maybe if he was writing now, post Lance getting busted, it would offer more.
Millar's book is the Walt Disney version. Hamilton's is the Martin Scorcese version.
Old 11-04-12, 07:55

Quote:
Lance is one of the few people that called Millar when he got caught. How many people does Lance call and offer emotional support to when they get caught, and what is their relationship with Lance?

Come to think of it, what does Lance usually say when he calls people who he associates with when they get caught?

Is it possible Lance called Millar and said, "Squeal and you're dead meat" and Millar reworded it slightly to "Lance called and said it's all going to be ok"?
aye could be right that. Now that the facts are out its seems odd that Millar would call Armstrong out for not doing more to set an anti-doping example rather than over the stories everyone in the peloton must have heard.
Giving Millar the benefit of the doubt on this one I took from it that he or his publishers felt that was as far as they could push it; A missed opportunity.
Old 11-04-12, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty's Cakes View Post
aye could be right that. Now that the facts are out its seems odd that Millar would call Armstrong out for not doing more to set an anti-doping example rather than over the stories everyone in the peloton must have heard.
Giving Millar the benefit of the doubt on this one I took from it that he or his publishers felt that was as far as they could push it; A missed opportunity.
Yes the libel laws in the UK are ridiculous if the examples presented are any indication - very omerta friendly.
Old 11-04-12, 17:41

I don't believe lance threatened him, instead it was a call of one doper to another. After all, they were probably quite good friends.

I think Millar did in the book what so many others would do if faced with the same problem : he stayed quiet and did his time, only loosely alluding to other parties involvement. Afterwards, not wishing to go the way of the other ex-dopers, he's reinvented himself as some kind of caped crusader.

I think Millar would be a nightmare for a position in the UCI, because he seems only to be concerned about setting up his own career and not rocking the boat.

Its going to need a brave person to run the UCI, someone who isnt afraid of riders or reputation, and is willing to speak up when things get tough. Millar is not that person.
Old 11-04-12, 18:48
Banned

Quote:
Yes the libel laws in the UK are ridiculous if the examples presented are any indication - very omerta friendly.
Very true, sadly. Indeed, Northern Ireland is one of the libel capitals of the world, bizarrely. Paul Tweed is a recognised international expert.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...325008873.html

The only substantive difference between NI and England and Wales is that lawyers are a bit cheaper in NI. The same plaintiff friendly rules apply in London too. Which is one reason David Walsh published in France, not England.

So all I would say, as a ...fanboy...is don't assume people, e.g. Millar keep their mouth shut because they WANT to...sometimes they have been advised, and frankly, well advised, to do so. Certainly to my eye, that passage- "of course, etc..." - looks like a classic nudge nudge, implying what cant be safely made explicit.
Old 11-05-12, 17:02

Millar is a right egotistical c**t if this interview is anything to go by!

Calling Kimmage a fanatic!

Calling Kimmage 'good old Paul'!

Trying to pretend the UCI's criminal activity was the past and not still happening.

Millar the patron? When did that happen and if true the sport if truly f**ked.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...millar-cycling

Guardian does it's usual joke of a job on cycling.