Vino bought the 2010 LBL? - Page 46 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-03-12, 22:56
Administrator

I've always liked Vino as a rider. His attacking style of racing is the kind that every rider should aspire to duplicate. And I've been able to look past the doping because he served his suspension and came back strong. But if he did pay Kolobnev for the LBL victory like the emails seem to indicate he did, well I guess it is still a good performance after 2 years out of the sport because even without the money he would have been 1st or 2nd. But it does taint the victory, and put a damper on it.

Also I've never heard of a winning rider paying the rider that got 2nd like people on here are saying happens. Is this actually something that happens in cycling? I can't really think of a good reason for the winning rider to pay the 2nd placed rider unless it was for the win. Are there any proven examples of this happening?
Old 11-03-12, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
I've always liked Vino as a rider. His attacking style of racing is the kind that every rider should aspire to duplicate. And I've been able to look past the doping because he served his suspension and came back strong. But if he did pay Kolobnev for the LBL victory like the emails seem to indicate he did, well I guess it is still a good performance after 2 years out of the sport because even without the money he would have been 1st or 2nd. But it does taint the victory, and put a damper on it.

Also I've never heard of a winning rider paying the rider that got 2nd like people on here are saying happens. Is this actually something that happens in cycling? I can't really think of a good reason for the winning rider to pay the 2nd placed rider unless it was for the win. Are there any proven examples of this happening?
Paying the 2nd can happen sometimes, in the case that 2 people are away, and they both have to work together, it can be a good incentive to agree beforehand to pay the loser, to guarantee both keep working. Now paying 150.000 euro in such a gentlemen's agreement is a whole different story....
Old 11-04-12, 02:39

He deffo bought the Olympic win too
Old 11-04-12, 03:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descender View Post
He should be banned for life from the sport of cycling.
I've been a Vino fan for a Long Time; but this is just to much. Seems he will take every avenue to cheat there is...I sure don't want to see him managing Nibali!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-04-12, 04:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerwallaceafro View Post
He deffo bought the Olympic win too
Is it july yet? gingerwallace gracing us with his presence.

Last edited by Zam_Olyas; 11-04-12 at 07:28.
Old 11-04-12, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
It's not bribing, remember. Kolobnev could've said no, because you can say no.

I think there is something fundamentally different between doping and paying a competitor: you do the first thing in secret to beat your competitor in an unfair way, in the second it is just a business agreement in which both parties need to agree for it to work. And because the sport of cycling is unique in it's setup in which you need to work together to beat each other at the line, things like this are, in my opinion, part of the sport.
I hear you, and it's been as old as cycle racing itself. But in certain situations, like this one, it could be seen as akin to "matchfixing", and it's certainly against the UCI rulebook. And they will have to rule on it.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13...stigation.aspx

BTW, Vino is a cancer to the sport.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 11-04-12, 06:55

There can be NO payments or agreements made between professional riders in the middle of a race, for obvious reasons. This isn't an amateur race organised between mates around the local park. Nor is this 1945. Racers who can't behave in a professional and clean manner, and yes I'm looking directly at Vinokourov, need to be tossed out of the sport. And I don't want to hear these idiotic excuses that 'it's an agreement to ensure both riders continue to work'. The guy who rides with you won't work? I believe that's filed under the heading of 'tough ****'. Unfortunately Vino's just retired so nothing really can be done.

And I agree with Tinman when he said Vino is a cancer to the sport.
Old 11-04-12, 08:43

Something could still be done to prevent him from polluting the sports with his thuggish ways as a team manager. His potential to harm is possibly even worse now !
Old 11-04-12, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
and another article... starting to make the english news now.

it's been discounted before but now, all of a sudden, it's roaring back to life... why?
Why was it discounted till now is the more important question.

These aren't new claims. L'illustre published transaction details on the fourth of July. Wonder what the cycling media were doing when this was published?
http://www.illustre.ch/Alexandre-Vin...v_162322_.html

150k, nice bonus sharing
Old 11-04-12, 09:34

So much hatred in here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs