Kimmage on Wiggins, Sky - Page 34 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-04-12, 08:26

For some people, the next decade is a write-off. No matter who wins what between now and say 2022, there are people here who would never believe in performances. It's sad but for them, there is no joy left to be had in cycling.
Old 11-04-12, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyllflyer View Post
For some people, the next decade is a write-off. No matter who wins what between now and say 2022, there are people here who would never believe in performances. It's sad but for them, there is no joy left to be had in cycling.
I had 2.5 hours of cycling enjoyment today. It's summer, and I am in the Aussie alps, with little traffic and plenty of fresh air.

What cycling did you enjoy today?
Old 11-04-12, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
I had 2.5 hours of cycling enjoyment today. It's summer, and I am in the Aussie alps, with little traffic and plenty of fresh air.

What cycling did you enjoy today?
I am jealous! Its coming on winter here: I had 2.5 hours in mixture of rain and wind: 8 of us in the group, got tooted at and shouted at by car drivers; normal kind of a Saturday.

I am mystified how you are so negative about cycling when you have such lovely conditions; presumably you think all 3 GT tour winners last year were at it? What I have never read from you is any acknowledgement that SOMEONE has to win a race....team strength, tactics, heroism, training, ability, luck all play a big part, yet when anyone wins, all you seem to see is DOPER.

Anyway, enjoy the summer and the Aussie Alps!
Old 11-04-12, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
I am jealous! Its coming on winter here: I had 2.5 hours in mixture of rain and wind: 8 of us in the group, got tooted at and shouted at by car drivers; normal kind of a Saturday.

I am mystified how you are so negative about cycling when you have such lovely conditions; presumably you think all 3 GT tour winners last year were at it? What I have never read from you is any acknowledgement that SOMEONE has to win a race....team strength, tactics, heroism, training, ability, luck all play a big part, yet when anyone wins, all you seem to see is DOPER.

Hypothetical: Evans won this year's tour, beating Wiggins in the final TT and his attack in the mountains stuck, putting 2 minutes into the group.

BMC release blood values from the Tour, and I am posting something doesn't look right, that the performance was not believable.

Would you still be having a go at me?
Old 11-04-12, 08:59

Default Ignoring the Evidence

Quote:

Again another personal attack on a forum user. Do you really think that cycling fans 'hate' professional cyclists ?? do you really think they have nothing else in their lives ?

It is fans like yourself who perpetuated the Lance Era...'ooooh why is everyone being so nasty? lets just enjoy our beautiful sport'

Wake up and read The Secret Race ! not so beautiful knowing teams are druggies with syringes and blood bags scrounging around europe trying to get THEIR FIX so they can win the next race and renew their million dollar contract.
Old 11-04-12, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
Again another personal attack on a forum user. Do you really think that cycling fans 'hate' professional cyclists ?? do you really think they have nothing else in their lives ?

It is fans like yourself who perpetuated the Lance Era...'ooooh why is everyone being so nasty? lets just enjoy our beautiful sport'

Wake up and read The Secret Race ! not so beautiful knowing teams are druggies with syringes and blood bags scrounging around europe trying to get THEIR FIX so they can win the next race and renew their million dollar contract.
Oh the irony reading Coineach's post and yours it is easy to see who has made the biggest personnel attack, (I'll give you a clue it is not an anagram of Eoinchac
Old 11-04-12, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post

I read The Secret Race in 24 hours: couldn't put it down...my book of the year, no doubt.
But its not bang up to date, and performances have slowed since then.
I hope I retain a healthy skepticism about procycling, but I don't see ALL of it through dope tinted glasses.

As for Dear Wiggo "Hypothetical: Evans won this year's tour, beating Wiggins in the final TT and his attack in the mountains stuck, putting 2 minutes into the group.

BMC release blood values from the Tour, and I am posting something doesn't look right, that the performance was not believable.

Would you still be having a go at me? "

Edit: I've always been a fan of Cadel, and always thought he was probably clean. He had a lot of bad luck early in his career and some good luck later, not unlike Wiggins. However
the Evans I saw in 2012 NEVER looked like he could win the Tour, so I suppose I'd be a bit suspicious too.....the Wiggins I saw this year always looked like he could win it.

I don't know what your expertise is in reading blood samples, but I'm willing to leave that to the experts. As for top teams keeping secrets: how do you think they retain any advantage over eachother?

Not actually having a go at you mate: we just see things differently....maybe you got too much sunshine? Care to bottle some up and send it over here??

Last edited by coinneach; 11-04-12 at 13:53.
Old 11-04-12, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Hypothetical: Evans won this year's tour, beating Wiggins in the final TT and his attack in the mountains stuck, putting 2 minutes into the group.

Would you still be having a go at me?
The likelihood of any of that happening is remote.

Evans is not in the same league as Wiggins against the watch
Evans is more of a limit losses rider in the mountains
You having a pop at Evans? Do me a favour!
Old 11-04-12, 14:01

On a slightly tangential point, there was an interesting article recently here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...cs?INTCMP=SRCH

saying that "Forensic evidence is widely considered to be the result of purely objective lab tests, but there's growing proof that psychological bias plays a part"

I'm afraid I wouldn't trust Dear Wiggo to analyse Wiggins blood samples, but then again, I suppose his point is that we can't totally trust the experts either.
Old 11-04-12, 23:38

Quote:
On a slightly tangential point, there was an interesting article recently here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...cs?INTCMP=SRCH

saying that "Forensic evidence is widely considered to be the result of purely objective lab tests, but there's growing proof that psychological bias plays a part"

I'm afraid I wouldn't trust Dear Wiggo to analyse Wiggins blood samples, but then again, I suppose his point is that we can't totally trust the experts either.
Why doesn't Sky release Wiggins' blood values and have Dr Ashenden examine them? Surely that would help provide transparency?