Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-04-12, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
JV decided to throw in the term without defining it. Sounds like cheap PR if it isn't specified any further. Does JV really believe "most others" decided to ride clean? or was it about doping marginally? Why is he singling out Ricco, not e.g. Contador? And whatabout Armstrong 2009/10? He was still doped to the gills. Was he beaten by clean riders?
How many of the top 10 of 2009 TDF were clean in JV's opinion?
I was asked to give an example. I did.... Jeezus. You don not understand PR. Good PR is not engaging here at all. Anything I do here is just damaging, but i feel an obligation, so I occasionally engage. But it's not for PR. Good grief.
Old 11-04-12, 17:33

But isn't Ricco a fairly easy and obvious target who is already out of the sport. What about those who are currently involved in the sport - who should have no future?

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
Old 11-04-12, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
Hey JV,

Given that you had been doping for a while already by the time you won on Mont Ventoux, could this mean you were given A-class treatment for the Dauphiné to act as a sort of tester for the team leaders' program for the Tour? And that therefore the questions it answered was, essentially, "What could I accomplish on an A-class program"?

You see, there's a bit of a legend around Dauphiné being the traditional testing grounds, where a team's dop domestiques would step up on the program to see how it was holding up, and I'd like to know if that was a real thing that happened.
EPO is the game changer. The rest is just a waste of time. My opinion regarding my experiences. Anyhow, in 1996, I used EPO, but in such small doses it would be questionable if it helped much. Our doctor was intent on just keeping our hct% level, not increasing it. 1999 was larger doses with the intent of increasing, not just maintaining.

That's the difference.
Old 11-04-12, 17:47

Hello JV. There are quite a number of doping related questions on this thread. Here is one, non-doping related. What was Your VO2 max measured at during your career ?
Old 11-04-12, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs John Murphy View Post
I am having a little trouble squaring the first and second paragraphs here.

Which seems to suggest that you don't ask your riders yourself if they doped on their former teams.

The question would be 'how do you know his doping was more recent and extreme than other members of your team if you haven't asked them?'

Lets say you sign Mr X, he's come up from the US domestic circuit where he is the next big thing. How do you make sure his talent is real? Or what happens if you sign Mr Y from a European WT team - how do you make sure his talent is real? What steps do you take to make sure that they aren't products of the syringe?
Ive spoken to all my riders regards to their past. Not sure why you'd think otherwise?

Here's a story about Ramunas Navardauskas:

So, this kid was winning everything in the u23 ranks in france. So, what happens? everyone says he's doping. I decide to find out for myself.

So, I tell him that at some point I'm going to need to see him in girona, to chat, but I don't know when. I wait until he wins a fairly big race, send him a plane ticket and say "you need to be here tomorrow to talk"...

He arrives. Immediately off the plane we give him a blood and urine test. Then wait 4 hours, have lunch, chat, etc.... Then do a very extensive and long power test which focuses on lactate metabolism over vo2 max. Then another blood/urine test.

Results? Consistent 40% hematocrit, no traces of anything in urine. Power test reached 6w/kg. won a race the day before.... triangulation of physiological testing, hematological testing, and same time frame as race result would lead one to the conclusion that the guy was just really talented.

That's how you weed out BS performers in the conti/u23 ranks.

It cracks me up to listen to all these conti riders *****ing about how they were robbed by doping. Believe me, none of them, not one, would come close to Ramunas' test results. I get tired of guys that max out a 4.75w/kg saying they could have been great if they chose to dope, but their morals kept them from doing it. Sorry, but I doubt a guy that has a 4.75w/kg engine ever gets presented with the choice of doping, because no one would bother. So, we can't really say what their decision would have been.

Now, a guy like Darren Baker? Or Bassons? Or Scott Mercier? That's different. Those guys tested like race horses and had the correct physiology, but they were mediocre (not bad) at the top level because of prevalent doping. They were robbed. Absolutely.
Old 11-04-12, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Hello JV. There are quite a number of doping related questions on this thread. Here is one, non-doping related. What was Your VO2 max measured at during your career ?
I was measured between 78ml/kg (16yrs old, test done at 2000m altitude) to 90ml/kg (23 yrs old, sea level)... I have never been tested while doped, but one could imagine some big numbers!!
Old 11-04-12, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV1973 View Post
I was asked to give an example. I did.... Jeezus. You don not understand PR. Good PR is not engaging here at all. Anything I do here is just damaging, but i feel an obligation, so I occasionally engage. But it's not for PR. Good grief.
the cancer shield, the youth cycling shield, the "I engage in doping forums"-shield

in the meantime, your claim that "most others called for a truce in 2008" continues to sound odd (to say the least) in the light of Armstrong 2009/10, Contador 2008/9/10, Vino, Bruyneel, Riis, the Schlecks, Rabobank, the Ferrari-files, and so on. (not mentioning Sky's incredible GT year and their USPS-like TdF train that you believe to be clean.)

Last edited by sniper; 11-04-12 at 17:59.
Old 11-04-12, 18:00

Quote:
I was measured between 78ml/kg (16yrs old, test done at 2000m altitude) to 90ml/kg (23 yrs old, sea level)... I have never been tested while doped, but one could imagine some big numbers!!
Actually, I forgot, I did knock off one 92ml/kg as well.

But, remember, lactate metabolism and the ability to sustain power is much more important than maximum cardiovascular capacity....
Old 11-04-12, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
the cancer shield, the youth cycling shield, the "I engage in doping forums"-shield

in the meantime, your claim that "most others called for a truce in 2008" continues to sound odd (to say the least) in the light of Armstrong 2009/10, Contador 2008/9/10, Vino, Bruyneel, Riis, the Schlecks, Rabobank, the Ferrari-files, and so on. (not mentioning Sky's incredible GT year and their USPS-like TdF train that you believe to be clean.)

It's like arguing with a stop sign.
Old 11-04-12, 18:02

Quote:
Actually, I forgot, I did knock off one 92ml/kg as well.
Impressive figure !!