Steffen Kjaergaard - the naive and innocent Norwegian? ;) - Page 18 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 10-28-12, 17:03

Related to Norwegian cycling, but i did not want to make another thread for it, so i will post it here. I transelated it the most important parts manualy.

Quote:
Former pro cyclist Dag Erik Pedersen cannot guarantee that he was dope free in his career.

“I could not be certain on what injections I got” Says Pedersen about the daily injections he got when he was riding in Italy in the begging 80’s.

Already in 2008 he was interviewed in a radio show where he told about the daily injections with unknown substances. He says he received minerals, salt and glycogen. But he is not 100% certain. He also said “Injections was a part of my daily life.”

Last night VG asked Pedersen some questions about the injections he got in his career.

VG: “Can you be 100% certain that you received no illegal substances? If yes, how can you be sure, if no what are your thoughts about that today?”

DEP: “I could not be sure, but I never had any reasons to doubt what Dottor Modesti (Eddy Merckx former doctor) gave us. Bianchi Piaggio never had any doping scandal in Italy when I was there, remember this was 13 years before EPO.”

VG: “In what period in your career did you receive these injections and what doctors gave it to you?”

DEP: “Mainly in my years in Italy.”
Source : http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikk...artid=10062552

You can transelate the other parts with Google Translate if you want to.
Old 11-01-12, 17:17

The Norwegian Union is taking action following Kjærgaards doping confession:

Former dopers are banned from positions in the Norwegian Cycling Union, as well as from management positions with Norwegian cycling teams. All athletes must attend a course offered by the Norwegian Anti Doping Authority and sign an anti-doping contract. All medical staff used by the team and it's riders must be registered with the Cycling Union.

http://www.procycling.no/article3504791.ece

Moreover, the Norwegian Union sent the UCI a letter a few days ago, supporting the Danish request to have mr. Verdruggen removed from the UCI.
Old 11-02-12, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie View Post
The Norwegian Union is taking action following Kjærgaards doping confession:

Former dopers are banned from positions in the Norwegian Cycling Union, as well as from management positions with Norwegian cycling teams. All athletes must attend a course offered by the Norwegian Anti Doping Authority and sign an anti-doping contract. All medical staff used by the team and it's riders must be registered with the Cycling Union.

http://www.procycling.no/article3504791.ece

Moreover, the Norwegian Union sent the UCI a letter a few days ago, supporting the Danish request to have mr. Verdruggen removed from the UCI.
This twitter conversation including the norwegian union president(@htiedemand), the sponsorship guru Jacob Lund(@sponsorconsult) and Mads Kaggestad(@MadsKaggestad) was quite interesting, so I translated it for you guys.
It all started with this tweet:
Mads Kaggestad:
Very good! "@sponsocrconsult #sykkeldop #NcF wants to remove Hein Verbruggen from the honorary list of the union.

( https://twitter.com/Mads_Kaggestad/s...21580331429888 )

Me:
@Mads_Kaggestad @sponsorconsult did #ncf change its mind on McQuaid?

Jacob Lund:
@torkil @Mads_Kaggestad They don't want to attack him now!

Jacob Lund:
@torkil @arbeidsbuksa_no @Mads_Kaggestad @htiedemann Good start with Hein Verbruggen

Norodd Johansen:
@sponsorconsult Definately a good start, but cant see any reason for the enthusiasm about McQuaid @torkil @Mads_Kaggestad @htiedemann

Jacob Lund
@arbeidsbuksa_no @torkil @Mads_Kaggestad @htiedemann I also think he has switched opinions too late

Mads Kaggestad
@arbeidsbuksa_no @sponsorconsult @torkil @htiedemann Dont forget that NCF wants the Worlds to Bergen...

Torkil
@MadsKaggestad @sponsorconsult I think we should delay our application

Jacob Lund
@torkil @Mads_Kaggestad @arbeidsbuksa_no @htiedemann A lot of cleaning up can be done in five years, today (the Worlds) wouldn't get a single norwegian sponsor

Norodd Johansen
@Mads_Kaggestad So you think (the Worlds) is more important than a working organization?

Jacob Lund
@arbeidsbuksa_no @Mads_Kaggestad @torkil @htiedemann @PLnning This time around I dont think the light in the tunnel isn't a train

Mads Kaggestad
@arbeidsbuksa_no @sponsorconsult @torkil @htiedemann I think it is a mix of trust and fear for McQuaid #politics #worlds

Mads Kaggestad
@arbeidsbuksa_no @sponsorconsult @torkil @htiedemann UCI have to a large extent been governed by Verbruggen. I hope it gets better without him.

Harald Tiedemann (President of the norwegian cycling federation)
@Mads_Kaggestad @arbeidsbuksa_no @sponsorconsult @torkil This is about several issues, who takes over and not least the worlds

Mads Kaggestad
@arbeidsbuksa_no @sponsorconsult @torkil Im optimistic and have faith in @htiedemann. The limit has been reached, there is willingness to act.

----

Nice that the Norwegian Union is open, but it's not a good sign when the president states that getting the #worlds is one of the reasons why they dont criticize McQuaid
Old 11-02-12, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkil View Post
Nice that the Norwegian Union is open, but it's not a good sign when the president states that getting the #worlds is one of the reasons why they dont criticize McQuaid
check out these quality posts made a few days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
he does go out of his way to praise McQuaid's antidoping work ffs. The way politics work for el presidente is he tries to position himself to get into the UCI himself.

he's shown his cards and it turns out he is a powermad liability
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why? El presidente wants to deliver the world champs to norway, if he does and then pulls off a good week it will mean he edges closer to the big time internationally himself.
top insight
Old 11-02-12, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkil View Post
This twitter conversation including the norwegian union president(@htiedemand), the sponsorship guru Jacob Lund(@sponsorconsult) and Mads Kaggestad(@MadsKaggestad) was quite interesting, so I translated it for you guys.
It all started with this tweet:
Mads Kaggestad:
Very good! "@sponsocrconsult #sykkeldop #NcF wants to remove Hein Verbruggen from the honorary list of the union.

( https://twitter.com/Mads_Kaggestad/s...21580331429888 )

Me:
@Mads_Kaggestad @sponsorconsult did #ncf change its mind on McQuaid?

Jacob Lund:
@torkil @Mads_Kaggestad They don't want to attack him now!

Jacob Lund:
@torkil @arbeidsbuksa_no @Mads_Kaggestad @htiedemann Good start with Hein Verbruggen

etc

----

Joke leadership. Not unlike the rest of the national unions probably. The question is: are there better leaders lined up as candidates?
Old 11-04-12, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Death Merchant View Post
Bjørn Dæhlie was doped like all of his rivals. Anyone who's claiming that the Norwegians didn't use EPO (a perfect drug that was impossible to detect and which usage was the norm) in the 90's, when all the others did, is seriously delusional. The late Mika Myllylä, Dæhlie's big rival at the time of 1994 and 1998 Olympics, admitted EPO usage in the 90's and even he lost to Dæhlie many times. And Myllylä was not some average schmuck but a real talent and a hard worker. So even a highly talented hard worker juiced with EPO couldn't beat Bjørn Dæhlie. And the financial benefits are surely there as Dæhlie has made some serious money with his success.

This is how incredibly superhuman the Norwegian skiers were. Norwegian cross country team won the medley in the 1998 Olympics, ahead of Italy and Finland, both of which had their skiers filled with EPO at the time. And the Norwegians are still ridiculously claiming that their skiers were doing it clean in the EPO-filled 90's...*shakes head* Believing Norwegians their nation of 5 millions were/is producing the most genetically advanced superhumans in the world for year in year out! Oh dear...How naive and blind can one be.

It sad that Norway still chooses to live in a lie. Still after Pharmstrong and all that has come out of the EPO filled 90's. Norway is the only Nordic country, no...slash that, the only cross country skiing country, that still believes they were clean in the 90's. I'm seriously wondering if the doping usage in Norway was/is totally systematic, somehow sanctioned or tolerated by their anti-doping authorities. Knowing that the very suspicious Inggard Lereim (he also monitored the blood values of skiers through 80's and 90's claimed that no Nordic skier ever used EPO in the 90's, which was just utter BS) has been part of both Norwegian anti-doping and FIS's doping control, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Norwegians have been advised by him and warned beforehand of possible testing.
-------------------
You are Norwegian or what ? Do you actually know anything about cross country skiing ? The legal equivalent to EPO in skiing is ski-preparation . Norway was far ahead of the others at the time of Dæhlie and Alsgaard. If you want to accuse Norwegians of doping in Cross-country skiing, I suggest a look at some of today's athletes. Cross country is a huge sport in Norway, and apart from Sweden and Finland it is a small sport in almost all the rest of the world. That can explain why Norway can dominate it.
Old 11-04-12, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchaircyclist View Post
-------------------
You are Norwegian or what ? Do you actually know anything about cross country skiing ? The legal equivalent to EPO in skiing is ski-preparation . Norway was far ahead of the others at the time of Dæhlie and Alsgaard. If you want to accuse Norwegians of doping in Cross-country skiing, I suggest a look at some of today's athletes. Cross country is a huge sport in Norway, and apart from Sweden and Finland it is a small sport in almost all the rest of the world. That can explain why Norway can dominate it.
Why is it that when Norway is superb at ski preparation it took an American to introduce the by far best cross country skiing technique and a Swede to come up with the far best ski jumping technique? Is there too much inhalation of ski wax fumes in Norway?

Old 11-05-12, 10:11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by neineinei View Post
Why is it that when Norway is superb at ski preparation it took an American to introduce the by far best cross country skiing technique and a Swede to come up with the far best ski jumping technique? Is there too much inhalation of ski wax fumes in Norway?
LOL, No.

It's a kind of conservatism IMHO. If you see skiing as an art, you get kinda sensitive when someone changes it and makes it better.

You will have a lot of traditionalists moaning and whining, hence change takes a little time to sink in.

An illustrative example might be bull fighting in Spain. If I went into the ring and just shot the Bull, I would be very effective, but for the Spanish that is not the point. For them it's an art. It's not about the winning, it's more the process leading to the death of the bull.
Old 11-05-12, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by neineinei View Post
How are these things supposed to be connected?
Old 11-09-12, 11:04

Default Torsten Schmidt

Yesterday: Norwegian Cycling Federation said they had sent information about some "scenarios" involving a Norwegian cyclist active in the Kjærgaard/Hølestøl era to Anti doping Norway. But they couldn't name anyone, it might be nothing. Today they sent out a press release saying the person wasn't Norwegian, it was a German rider with a "Norwegian sounding name", basically naming Torsten Schmidt, but removing the notion that another Norwegian rider might be involved overruled the importance of not naming anyone without good reason.

http://www.procycling.no/article3509724.ece
http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikk...artid=10055639
http://nrk.no/sport/sykkel/1.8390609

Last edited by neineinei; 11-09-12 at 11:12.