Tennis - Page 17 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-05-12, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Yes I'd wager that Federer has always been clean. Murray, Djokovic, Nadal absolutely not.
I'd wager even Rafter was not.

None of the above are. And some are more egregious than others.
Old 11-05-12, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
I'm not sure about Roger being ALWAYS clean - I just don't know - but RF is clearly the superior player on those metrics not linked with aerobic fitness - touch, technique, imagination - all the intangible crap - but over time he has found himself facing what can only be described as returning machines, each of which has had an 'eureka' year - Murray being the last of these with back to back" wimbledon final, olympic gold, olympic doubles silver, us open gold".

Now Nadal was brought up in Spain, obviously. Slightly less obviously, most of Murray's early training was in Spain, away from LTA structures.

You know, i wonder sometimes; the LTA in GB gets regularly beaten up for wasting the Wimbledon millions and producing no players. But what if the only real failure of the LTA is, how shall we put it, naivite? I find it rather interesting that Heather Watson, the new GB great women's hope, was born in guernsey, but trained in florida (agassi, ahem)...

Of course, much of this is idle gossip and backbiting - which would break my normal rules - except I don't really care ALL that much about tennis ;-)
Federer could not play through three sets in his nascent career. Then he beat Philippoussis. Then went on his tear. But another guy, was Joker, he had a problem with his endurance early in his career. These players are now the fittest, most physically capable on the circuit. And remember when Rafa had his knee or shoulder problems, and the next year, he came into the Aus Open, really lean, ALOT thinner. Perhaps 7kgs of red tissue muscle leaner. He was HOPELESS, he was mortal, that January. He went back to his old self, by the last half of that year tho. And the muscle returned with alacrity.
Old 11-05-12, 04:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
Federer could not play through three sets in his nascent career. Then he beat Philippoussis....
The Poo was definitely not doped, he hardly ever made it through three sets.

Doped on PEDs that is
Old 11-05-12, 10:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyivel View Post
Lads as I'm interested in this subject I'd be obliged if you could link me to the connections the players you have mentioned have to doping, dodgy doctors, covered up positives etc
http://elpais.com/diario/2006/07/05/...23_850215.html
Old 11-05-12, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
TY Martin

10c
Old 11-05-12, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
Federer could not play through three sets in his nascent career. Then he beat Philippoussis. Then went on his tear. But another guy, was Joker, he had a problem with his endurance early in his career. These players are now the fittest, most physically capable on the circuit. And remember when Rafa had his knee or shoulder problems, and the next year, he came into the Aus Open, really lean, ALOT thinner. Perhaps 7kgs of red tissue muscle leaner. He was HOPELESS, he was mortal, that January. He went back to his old self, by the last half of that year tho. And the muscle returned with alacrity.
Except that time he beat some fella called Sampras in 5 sets at Wimbledon as a 20 year old.

From 03-06 Federer was so far above everyone on a tennis court (except Nadal on clay) that his endurance was rarely tested, he just walloped everyone.
Old 11-05-12, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn View Post
Except that time he beat some fella called Sampras in 5 sets at Wimbledon as a 20 year old.

From 03-06 Federer was so far above everyone on a tennis court (except Nadal on clay) that his endurance was rarely tested, he just walloped everyone.
Agreed and he never broke 130Mph consistently on his serve.
Old 11-05-12, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn View Post

he was. But its not an either-or fallacy.

See Andrew Ille's quote on the subject.
Old 11-05-12, 20:44

Roger Federer calls for increased blood testing

Quote:
According to figures on its website the International Tennis Federation, the sport's governing body, carried out only 21 out-of-competition blood tests in the professional game in 2011.

Cycling's governing body the UCI carried out more than 3,314 out-of-competition blood tests in the same year.
Old 11-05-12, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_angliru View Post
hey cut tennis some slack, 21 OOCT is more than doubvle 2010 when there was erm 10 and erm 21 more than 2009 and 2008 when there was erm none , strangely was 32 in 2006 which is the highest
Edit, Serenna Williams was tested out of comp by ITF in 2010 and 2011 zero times of any sort blood or urine,also in the same time period was tested out of comp by USADA erm zero times :S WTF

"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"

Last edited by User Guide; 11-05-12 at 21:06.