Comments??? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the website

About the website Home for all your redesign feedback. We'll make all our important announcements here too!

Old 11-01-12, 15:46

Default Comments???

To the editors/owners of CyclingNews: When are you going to bring this site into the 21ST Century as far as commenting on your items?

While you run worthwhile items, to not afford the users the ability to instantly comment on them takes away from the impact of the item. The item becomes a one way conversation. Don't you want your readers to be able to instanly give feedback on what you run? Do you surmise that CN is better than the greatest online papers and periodicals in the country, the world?

I can't think of another online periodical that doesn't give readers the ability to comment at the bottom of the item. Not one! A minute ago I read an item and went down to comment then was again hit by the fact that CN doesn't respect the views of readers enough to publish them on the front page with the items. It then becomes your view and only your view.

I was told once that the reason for this was because it cluttered the page and made it look unprofessional. Take a look at any newspaper or site item. Thay all have room for comments. People love giving instant feedback rather than trying to find a place in some other forum to say what's on their mind.

It's time CyclingNews joined the real world and treated its readership like the assets we are. Until then I'll be happy posting in VeloNews where I can not only give instant feedback on the item, but to individual comments. Thought sharing CyclingNews, you ought'a trying it.

Last edited by clotho2; 11-01-12 at 15:51.
Old 11-01-12, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by clotho2 View Post
To the editors/owners of CyclingNews: When are you going to bring this site into the 21ST Century as far as commenting on your items?

While you run worthwhile items, to not afford the users the ability to instantly comment on them takes away from the impact of the item. The item becomes a one way conversation. Don't you want your readers to be able to instanly give feedback on what you run? Do you surmise that CN is better than the greatest online papers and periodicals in the country, the world?

I can't think of another online periodical that doesn't give readers the ability to comment at the bottom of the item. Not one! A minute ago I read an item and went down to comment then was again hit by the fact that CN doesn't respect the views of readers enough to publish them on the front page with the items. It then becomes your view and only your view.

I was told once that the reason for this was because it cluttered the page and made it look unprofessional. Take a look at any newspaper or site item. Thay all have room for comments. People love giving instant feedback rather than trying to find a place in some other forum to say what's on their mind.

It's time CyclingNews joined the real world and treated its readership like the assets we are. Until then I'll be happy posting in VeloNews where I can not only give instant feedback on the item, but to individual comments. Thought sharing CyclingNews, you ought'a trying it.
i like the comments idea. on the page the article is on.
Old 11-02-12, 02:41

Its one way to kill the forum. Would be nice to keep them busy on two fronts though so we could get awa... I mean post with ease
Old 11-02-12, 09:18

I've actually been wondering the same. Thought that was the reason we have to log in on the front page now...

As for killing the forum, naah... I don't think so. After all; we do talk about other stuff than the articles.
On the other hand; it'll be easier to point out mistakes. Instead of going to the Mistakes thread and provide a link to the article together with an explanation of the mistake we can just point out the mistake in the comment section.
Old 11-02-12, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
I've actually been wondering the same. Thought that was the reason we have to log in on the front page now...

As for killing the forum, naah... I don't think so. After all; we do talk about other stuff than the articles.
On the other hand; it'll be easier to point out mistakes. Instead of going to the Mistakes thread and provide a link to the article together with an explanation of the mistake we can just point out the mistake in the comment section.
+1 QA facilitated, errors and misunderstandings reduced. Make everybody's life (sorry admin/moderators ) easier.

John

Craig X W
Old 11-02-12, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA.Tri View Post
+1 QA facilitated, errors and misunderstandings reduced. Make everybody's life (sorry admin/moderators ) easier.
I bet your glass is half full as well
Old 11-05-12, 18:11

Mistakes??? What kind of mistakes are we taking about here? Mistakes that could get CN hauled into court, grammatical errors, what kind of mistakes?

I doubt that anyone would intentionally post something that would cause damages. and, one of the failings of man is that he is subject to errors. Whenever you read a comments sections where all the mistakes have been removed by eds, (without the help of a spell checker) it takes away from the human side of the comments. People come from all over on the net; from all classes and countries. To see a comment with a bit of an error is expected and lends authenticity to a piece.

Look, there is no reason the readers shouldn't be able to give an immediate response to a story simply by scrolling down to a comments section. The item about Riis today, I wanted to comment on it. However, instead of being able to just scroll down and comment, I'm forced to go looking for a topic on Riis. Admittedly there may be something following the item to link to comments, but I guess I missed it.

Again I will say, read any article online and you'll be afforded the opportunity to comment. Except here in CyclingNews. I love sites that are "User friendly." This one isn't!
Old 11-05-12, 21:34

Oh... all sorts of mistakes: Whenever we see something that isn't quite right we go and friendly point it out.
Just a nitpickery bunch!
Old 11-23-12, 19:23
Administrator

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/come...ngnews-stories
Old 11-24-12, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Took an absolute age to load and then when the box did appear it crashed my browser, then it wouldnt let me type in it, then it loaded, and crashed again, then loaded and wouldnt let me type anything, then it just sat there loading and loading and loading and never did anything.

then i gave up.. really not working well in Opera at all. Maybe I need to try Chrome

Takes a year to load up in Chrome as well. Slightly better in Firefox, fine in Internet Explorer. W3C finds 88 errors on the one page alone.

Not sure If its a great idea, going to take an awful lot of moderation, as it seems that posts are auto approved, whos going to moderate it?

Last edited by TheGame; 11-24-12 at 00:33.