World Politics - Page 1269 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 10-30-12, 07:31

A mock Clarke and Dawes skit...Australians will understand. It is very funny.

http://iainhall.wordpress.com/2011/0...an-dawes-skit/
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 11-04-12, 11:28

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226508746330

For those of you interested, it is interesting to read an Aboriginal MP's take on some attitudes of other Aboriginals to life and welfare.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 11-05-12, 23:58

Here are some brief thumbnails for you, Bala.

http://www.nu.nl/achtergrond/2950815...-rutte-ii.html

I can't really contribute an informed opinion as I have pretty much ignored Dutch politics since the election once it became clear that the VVD would yet again be the largest party, which means more Rutte, more cutbacks, higher health insurance, etc. They are, however, increasing the speed limit on certain sections of the motorways from 100 to 120, and are allowing more sections of 130 max. Drivers, who are now paying an average of around 1.80 per liter (around $8.50+ pg,) are thrilled.
Old 11-06-12, 18:24
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Here are some brief thumbnails for you, Bala.

http://www.nu.nl/achtergrond/2950815...-rutte-ii.html

I can't really contribute an informed opinion as I have pretty much ignored Dutch politics since the election once it became clear that the VVD would yet again be the largest party, which means more Rutte, more cutbacks, higher health insurance, etc. They are, however, increasing the speed limit on certain sections of the motorways from 100 to 120, and are allowing more sections of 130 max. Drivers, who are now paying an average of around 1.80 per liter (around $8.50+ pg,) are thrilled.
Thanks man. Good stuff there. I am closely following the 'zorgpremie' calculations atm. Seems like a cl@stF555@

People widely proclaiming they'll lose 50% of their purchasing power or something haha. Oh. Politics.
Old 11-07-12, 11:27

What I think this US Election shows is that Governments who create dream policies that can not be implemented get reelected. Governments that don't deliver at all and create a bigger mess get reelected. Governments who have leaders who are complete spin doctors, who make good speeches and who have a decent personality win elections. Countries that have overall media bias certainly do win elections. These issues take precedent over fiscal management and good policy. I am not endorsing the Republicans and their platform but Obama should have lost in a landslide today. This has worrying signs and parallels with Australian politics and the Coalition. Very worrying. There are so many parallels to Australia.

Last edited by auscyclefan94; 11-07-12 at 11:39.
Old 11-07-12, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
I am not endorsing the Republicans and their platform but Obama should have lost in a landslide today. This has worrying signs and parallels with Australian politics and the Coalition. Very worrying.
Bit of a contradiction: if you're not endorsing the Republicans, and they fielded nothing useful, why should Obama have lost.

What would it take to shift the terms of the debate away from the question of who should win or lose to how could alternative models of politics be implemented?
Old 11-07-12, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Bit of a contradiction: if you're not endorsing the Republicans, and they fielded nothing useful, why should Obama have lost.

What would it take to shift the terms of the debate away from the question of who should win or lose to how could alternative models of politics be implemented?
I see what you are saying there but there is an adage commonly used in Australian politics and I suspect globally. 'You don't vote oppositions in but you vote Governments out'. I believe that the Coalition in Australia provide a far better alternative than the current ALP Government but people swing votes due to anger against the Government. If Obama can get reelected, then perhaps even Gillard can, which scares me.

Last edited by auscyclefan94; 11-07-12 at 11:52.
Old 11-07-12, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
I see what you are saying there but there is an adage commonly used in Australian politics and I suspect globally. 'You don't vote oppositions in but you vote Governments out'. I suspect that is a theory that would be accepted in many countries.
that adage has held sway in the US since 1988 easily. if not twelve years prior.

at what point should that kind of passivity be catalyzed into a bit more?

Last edited by aphronesis; 11-07-12 at 11:57.
Old 11-08-12, 06:36

Our PM plays the victim again. JG: "I'm good mates with Barack Obama. I tell him, 'You think it's tough being African-American? Try being me. Try being an atheist, childless, single woman as prime minister.' "

Her continual victim status makes me hate her even more.
Old 11-08-12, 07:21

Link?

charchar