Look at me, I am a Vegan! Can I persuade you to become one too? - Page 89 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #881  
Old 11-01-12, 01:36
Dear Wiggo's Avatar
Dear Wiggo Dear Wiggo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sunny Australia
Posts: 5,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
That Billings guy put up some crap about me on the net and only after I reminded him the truth did he finally take it down.
Really? Coz I had a read of this page http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/...an-gurus.shtml - and it's all still there - Billings hasn't taken anything down as far as I can tell.

Maybe you should have another word with him?
__________________
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
Reply With Quote
  #882  
Old 11-01-12, 01:53
Giuseppe Magnetico's Avatar
Giuseppe Magnetico Giuseppe Magnetico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Seriously? Have a friend in a similar situation but she's lactose intolerant also and so uses soy for milk. Do you have any data or studies to back up this advice?
Google is your friend.. But beware, the soybean industry has flooded the internet with their own research that tells you soy based foods cause no harm in any amount. Simply put, and what my original response to the soybean craze was, it's not a good idea to replace entire blocs of a healthy and balanced diet with all kinds of soy based foods, especially milk. Even if you're buying non GMO soy milk it's still full of a bunch of other chem and crap like thickening agents. Moderation and variety are key in every facet of life, including food. I'm not saying cut it out of your diet, just be more mindful of what your intake is. Soy is healthy, to a point.
__________________
–––The user formerly known as RDV4ROUBAIX–––
Reply With Quote
  #883  
Old 11-01-12, 02:04
veganrob's Avatar
veganrob veganrob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The D
Posts: 1,722
Default

I stay away from this thread like the plague but I saw Wiggo post so thought it safe.
As Giuseppe says, Soy is ok to a point. One problem is it is so processed. In the milk form is bad because it can mess with hormones a lot. I do not use soy in any form. However, if one was to consume it the best way would be in fermented form.
I am out of here now.
Reply With Quote
  #884  
Old 11-01-12, 02:27
Dear Wiggo's Avatar
Dear Wiggo Dear Wiggo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sunny Australia
Posts: 5,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
I stay away from this thread like the plague but I saw Wiggo post so thought it safe.
As Giuseppe says, Soy is ok to a point. One problem is it is so processed. In the milk form is bad because it can mess with hormones a lot. I do not use soy in any form. However, if one was to consume it the best way would be in fermented form.
I am out of here now.
Thanks for the input - I will pass it on. My friend chooses the gluten-free versions (being gluten intolerant), not sure if we get the choice of GF and GM-free. Eesh. Personally I drink milk and eat meat with wild abandon (sorry VeganRob), but yeah my friend is on the straight and narrow when it comes to food.
__________________
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
Reply With Quote
  #885  
Old 11-01-12, 22:31
durianrider's Avatar
durianrider durianrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.
Posts: 726
Default

[QUOTE=Dear Wiggo;1071402]Masai style - is that like Masai for Westerners? Or are you claiming your "friend" actually grew up with the Masai people? Or are you claiming your friend actually is a Masai tribe member? If the latter, do you have a picture of you and your friend on your facebook page?

Here you go cat face.



Ive actually got 4 friends from Masai tribes in Kenya. NONE of them eat the raw meat, blood and milk diet you claim builds world class runner peformance.

This photo was when we were in Thailand training and racing together. Ive got some video footage to put up on my youtube channel about what Kenyans actually eat etc. Stay tuned.
__________________
Over 270 000km cycled as a vegan.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Reply With Quote
  #886  
Old 11-01-12, 22:32
durianrider's Avatar
durianrider durianrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.
Posts: 726
Default

Cat face, take a deep breath, watch this vid and relax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbEJfJlvp4E&feature=plcp
__________________
Over 270 000km cycled as a vegan.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Reply With Quote
  #887  
Old 11-01-12, 22:34
durianrider's Avatar
durianrider durianrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.
Posts: 726
Default

__________________
Over 270 000km cycled as a vegan.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Reply With Quote
  #888  
Old 11-03-12, 19:51
elapid's Avatar
elapid elapid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
One just has to look at the overweight/obese paleo primal authors to realise that fat you eat IS the fat you wear.
BS. If you could get past your ego and what works for you and a few of your friends, then you may be able to see the bigger picture.
__________________
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #889  
Old 11-04-12, 07:58
durianrider's Avatar
durianrider durianrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elapid View Post
BS. If you could get past your ego and what works for you and a few of your friends, then you may be able to see the bigger picture.


Watch this Elapid and tell me what you think after 56mins... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ
__________________
Over 270 000km cycled as a vegan.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Reply With Quote
  #890  
Old 11-06-12, 00:10
elapid's Avatar
elapid elapid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
Watch this Elapid and tell me what you think after 56mins... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ
OK, I've watched it. What's the point? Are you trying to justify your vegan diet or trying to settle the disagreement we are having over the effects of a high protein diet on weight loss (or diets high in processed, highly refined carbohydrates)?

This video talks about vegan v vegeterian v meat diets, but the meat diets are not high in protein because most of what is quoted is fast foods which contain a high proprotion of highly processed and refined carbohydrates. When Dr. Greger quotes higher levels of IGF-1 and inflammation with meat diets, he ignores the facts that the higher levels of IGF-1 and inflammation are because of the highly processed and refined carbohydrates eaten with these meats. When Dr. Greger talks about weight gain per calories consumed (which is the opposite to your "calories in-calories out" theory), he again is talking about a meat diet consumed with highly processed and refined carbohydrates because a high protein diet avoiding the consumption of highly processed and refined carbohydrates has very low weight gain per calories consumed. Some of the information presented was wrong (meat and colon cancer consumption), some was deliberately alarmist (bacteria in meat) and others preyed on the audience's ignorance (cholestreol and heart disease; in vitro effects of blood on cancer cells), and all did Dr. Greger no services. He also did not mention negative studies, such as that vegan diets increase the risk of tuberculosis.

I have no problem with you or anyone else being vegan. I have a problem with people misrepresenting what is known and not known about diets (or anything else) to suit their own purposes or agenda. Unfortunately, I think you have an agenda and the evidence you use to support your agenda is myopic, not well researched and misleading for those that bother to listen to you.

Again, veganism obviously works for you and your girlfriend. Go for it. But a high protein diet (or alternatively a diet low in highly refined carbohydrates) also works for many people (and for many of the same reasons as a vegan diet). So you can get off your soapbox and learn to be a little less ignorant and little more tolerant.
__________________
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by elapid; 11-06-12 at 00:33.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.