Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-02-12, 15:29
RedheadDane's Avatar
RedheadDane RedheadDane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)
Posts: 3,532
Default

I have hairy legs, and I'm a cyclist (when I'm actually on my bike) and what're you gonna do?
And I already said I don't shave because I ride bikes...
__________________
You might think a bike is a pair of wheels, a frame, a chain.
But that's just what a bike needs!
What a bike really is, is freedom
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-02-12, 21:20
laziali's Avatar
laziali laziali is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobilis View Post
I never let the hair grow back because it will be more difficult to shave it andd because I can't stand the lok of hairy legs anymore, even during winter.

I usually shave each friday, because most of the time, racing is on Sundays and I follow the myth that says that one shouldn't shave the day before a race.

As for the discussion going on here, I think that RHD got it a bit wrong because the thread is targeting a specific group of people, which are cyclists who race and not bike commuters because there is no sense for a bike commuter to shave. And the fact that RHD shaves during summer and stops during winter is for different reasons.
Very well put Nobilis.

RHD, I hope you are just being obtuse and not a troll.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-02-12, 21:48
usedtobefast's Avatar
usedtobefast usedtobefast is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: southern california
Posts: 3,268
Default

at this point i am trying to be good enough to be a wanna-be Fred...
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-03-12, 07:24
RedheadDane's Avatar
RedheadDane RedheadDane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)
Posts: 3,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
RHD, I hope you are just being obtuse and not a troll.
You were the one who said people who don't shave can't be cyclists. Just because you live in a country where cycling unfortunately is so rare that 'cyclist' refers to a special group of people on bikes, rather than just people who uses bikes as the fast, easy and convinient method of transportation they are.
Instead of claiming that people who doesn't have can't be cyclists you need to transform everybody in your social-circles into cyclists themselves. For example: You say that Mrs laziali has had to accept your cyclist mentality, don't stop there! Get her a bike!
And if you get children, bring them up with bikes from they're tiny!
__________________
You might think a bike is a pair of wheels, a frame, a chain.
But that's just what a bike needs!
What a bike really is, is freedom
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-03-12, 08:18
ElChingon's Avatar
ElChingon ElChingon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: En el Internet, and Hiding from the UCI
Posts: 5,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
And if you get children, bring them up with bikes from they're tiny!
There is no need to punish the kids.

Or:

That made a lot of sense, still on the secret sauce I see.
__________________
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
Points: 10 CN Infraction Points
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-03-12, 09:47
laziali's Avatar
laziali laziali is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
You were the one who said people who don't shave can't be cyclists. Just because you live in a country where cycling unfortunately is so rare that 'cyclist' refers to a special group of people on bikes, rather than just people who uses bikes as the fast, easy and convinient method of transportation they are.
Instead of claiming that people who doesn't have can't be cyclists you need to transform everybody in your social-circles into cyclists themselves. For example: You say that Mrs laziali has had to accept your cyclist mentality, don't stop there! Get her a bike!
And if you get children, bring them up with bikes from they're tiny!
Yes can confirm Mrs Laziali and the kids have bikes. Were riding them in the sun today as it happens. Nothing to do with cycling in the Cyclingnews.com sense though.

Where I live, there will be many thousands of real cyclists (along with quite a few Freds) out on the road tomorrow. Including me and my posse of tan-lined, über skinny fast riders doing a 200km ride in the hills. See, we have nothing in common with your version of bike riding, or for that matter the bike riding I did on my town bike with the family today. Just two totally different activities.

And so, again, RHD, we return to what THIS thread is about: cyclists who shave because they race, used to race or just want to be as pro as they can. It's not a thread about commuters or fun bike riders and whether or not they shave in their normal life.

Threadjacking is not cool.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-03-12, 10:40
Cancellator's Avatar
Cancellator Cancellator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
I have hairy legs, and I'm a cyclist (when I'm actually on my bike) and what're you gonna do?
And I already said I don't shave because I ride bikes...
Is it politically incorrect to say that I find hairy legs (and armpits etc.) on a girl pretty disgusting?

Onto the subject, I think shaved legs make it easier to wear lyrca without pulling hairs for any little adjustment, and the grippers ... grip better as well.

Really now, if you took the plunge and you're riding around in tight lyrca, do you really think that not shaving your legs will preserve your manliness? I believe that actually having muscles underneath your kit helps a lot more
__________________
"...it would have been harder being at home and watching instead of riding here."
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-03-12, 12:41
RedheadDane's Avatar
RedheadDane RedheadDane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)
Posts: 3,532
Default

But I can't be bothered with shaving during winter when I'm bundled up anyway.
And I really don't care what other people do with the hair on their legs, they could be removing it with a flamethrower for all I care!
Though I wouldn't advice it...
__________________
You might think a bike is a pair of wheels, a frame, a chain.
But that's just what a bike needs!
What a bike really is, is freedom
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-03-12, 12:53
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 13,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancellator View Post
Is it politically incorrect to say that I find hairy legs (and armpits etc.) on a girl pretty disgusting?
Ouch
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank
Froome see's how Contador is already dressing himself in yellow in anticipation for July, how he rides with no helmet without fear, how he and his loyal second in command Kreuziger have grown thin, how he takes on the sprinters in a bunch sprint, and how Contador has given previews of what others will face in July in the form of Giro 2011 pictures....

...and he feels fear...
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-06-12, 12:33
fat_boy_fat fat_boy_fat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 64
Default

Shaving … Why not ordering meatless steaks and beer without bubbles?
__________________
»Never, never, never …«
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.