National Football League - Page 181 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-06-12, 15:51
Administrator

MNF was interesting. Vick still sucks, but the Eagles problems are so deep, and it's not just coaching either. You could see the frustration on Andy Reid's face after the game. Next week they take on Dallas. The loser if that game is going to be out of the playoff hunt, and a lot of players and coaches might as well get ready to be on another team next year, or just cut.

The Saints on he others and looked solid. Still giving up way too much yards on defense. But the offense is clicking, they were good in the red zone, and with Vitt at the helm are on a roll. They take on Atlanta next week, and I like their chances.

Power rankings out later today.
Old 11-08-12, 19:05
Administrator

Indy at Jax - I believe in Luck, though he is better at home.

NYG at Cin - Both teams struggling, but Giants more tools.
Ten at Mia - Locker back, but that won't help D.
Det at Minn - Lions on a roll, Vikings not.
Buff at NE - Lock of the week.
Atl at NO - Saints getting hot, Falcons streak ends.
SD at TB - Tough call, but Buc's playing okay.
Den at Car - Denver continues to roll. A lock.
Oak at Bal - Ravens offense too much.
NYJ at Sea - Seahawks don't lose at home, especially...
Dal at Phi - Loser's season is lost, and expect major changes.
Stl at SF - Another lock.
Hou at Chi - An upset. I find the Bears like last year's 49ers. They win by staying ahead, and creating turnovers.

KC at Pit - Steelers very poised for a late season run.
Old 11-08-12, 23:52

Indy at Jax - Colts surprised me last week, they probably will again.

NYG at Cin - Giants must be able t squeak this one.
Ten at Mia - I keep going for the Fins.
Det at Minn - Vikings to bounce back.
Buff at NE - Agreed, lock of the week.
Atl at NO - This one could be very close, I'll stay with the only unbeaten team
SD at TB - Home advantage coin toss
Den at Car - Peyton.
Oak at Bal - Even injury riddled, Ravens should be too good.
NYJ at Sea - Seahawks look like another good thing at home.
Dal at Phi - The two teams I dislike most...hmmm....ok, I want the Eagles to lose even more than the old enemy.
Stl at SF - Home lock.
Hou at Chi - Sticking with da Bears .

KC at Pit - Steelers improving, sadly
Old 11-12-12, 01:21
Administrator

Don't know if anyone is reading, but I'm 8-3-1 this week so far. But with the rain and wind in Chicago, I'm thinking advantage Bears over Texans.

More comments later.
Old 11-12-12, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Don't know if anyone is reading, but I'm 8-3-1 this week so far. But with the rain and wind in Chicago, I'm thinking advantage Bears over Texans.

More comments later.
Nice picks. I will use your picks next time.

lol
Old 11-13-12, 16:15
Administrator

I think back on week five I was like 6-10, so don't get your hopes up too high.

This week's topsy-turvy NFL has turned some things around again. Teams that looked like they were ready to roll on, look more average (Pitt, SF, NO, GB), teams that looked finished look like they could be serious contenders (NO, Cinn). Thoughts on some games and teams, positive to negative:

After getting blown out by GB after losing Cushing, the Texans look like the best team in the NFL and powerful on both sides of the ball. They look well coached, and tough as hell. Like they're headed to 14-2 perhaps.

Atlanta's loss to NO means little. They looked solid in losing, and the loss may help their psyche. NO also looked like on offense they are moving up. The defense is still worst in NFL, but at home, no one is going to want to play them there.

At 6-3 the Broncos have a fairly soft schedule, PM is playing great, even better is their defense.

*Written off after losing Lewis, Baltimore's offensive juggernaut at 7-2 stands strong.

The Bears losing to Texas was not a bad loss. But they do remind me of last year's 49ers. Solid defense, relying on turnovers, can't come from behind with average QB.

Seattle flattened the Jets, and if they can start to win on the road, look out. No one wants to play them in Seattle. No one.

Right when the Steelers start to get healthy, they lose Ben, but who knows for how long? Defense still tops in the NFL (in yards anyway).

Will the real NE Patriots please stand up? One week they look like SB winners, the next, average, or lucky. Still tops in offense in both points and yards.

Will the real NY Giants stand up? Ugly loss to Cincy, at home. Eli looked terrible, and the defense couldn't defend the pass, against a sub-average team.

Will the real Green Bay Packers... Too many sacks; defense still inconsistent (though better than last year).

Jake Locker's return helped the Titans. But really it was their defense, and CJ, finally earning his money.

Dallas isn't as alive, as the Eagles are dead. They are so dead. Nick Foles actually looked okay, like they may have a future with him. But the OL is terrible, receivers drop balls, they can't defend the pass, give up big plays, and 3rd down plays. Now Reid says Vick is his guy and will be back next week and the rest of the season. Both will be gone at year's end. It's just stunning how bad this team is.

The Jets are maybe the worst team in the NFL right now, and have no offense, and a soft defense. They were crushed by Seattle, and Mark Sanchez looked as bad as all critics have been saying. Don't forget fans, the Jets signed him to a contract that pays him more than Aaron Rogers. So expect him cut at year's end. 50/50 Rex is gone as well.
Old 11-14-12, 18:13
Administrator

Anyone out there reading? I sometimes feel like this is a blog. LOL.

Not feeling motivation to post though if no one is out there, or commenting. Will try to keep making predictions though.
Old 11-14-12, 19:22

always listening to you. Keep at it.
Thanks.
Old 11-14-12, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
I think back on week five I was like 6-10, so don't get your hopes up too high.

This week's topsy-turvy NFL has turned some things around again. Teams that looked like they were ready to roll on, look more average (Pitt, SF, NO, GB), teams that looked finished look like they could be serious contenders (NO, Cinn). Thoughts on some games and teams, positive to negative:

After getting blown out by GB after losing Cushing, the Texans look like the best team in the NFL and powerful on both sides of the ball. They look well coached, and tough as hell. Like they're headed to 14-2 perhaps.

Atlanta's loss to NO means little. They looked solid in losing, and the loss may help their psyche. NO also looked like on offense they are moving up. The defense is still worst in NFL, but at home, no one is going to want to play them there.

At 6-3 the Broncos have a fairly soft schedule, PM is playing great, even better is their defense.

*Written off after losing Lewis, Baltimore's offensive juggernaut at 7-2 stands strong.

The Bears losing to Texas was not a bad loss. But they do remind me of last year's 49ers. Solid defense, relying on turnovers, can't come from behind with average QB.

Seattle flattened the Jets, and if they can start to win on the road, look out. No one wants to play them in Seattle. No one.

Right when the Steelers start to get healthy, they lose Ben, but who knows for how long? Defense still tops in the NFL (in yards anyway).

Will the real NE Patriots please stand up? One week they look like SB winners, the next, average, or lucky. Still tops in offense in both points and yards.

Will the real NY Giants stand up? Ugly loss to Cincy, at home. Eli looked terrible, and the defense couldn't defend the pass, against a sub-average team.

Will the real Green Bay Packers... Too many sacks; defense still inconsistent (though better than last year).

Jake Locker's return helped the Titans. But really it was their defense, and CJ, finally earning his money.

Dallas isn't as alive, as the Eagles are dead. They are so dead. Nick Foles actually looked okay, like they may have a future with him. But the OL is terrible, receivers drop balls, they can't defend the pass, give up big plays, and 3rd down plays. Now Reid says Vick is his guy and will be back next week and the rest of the season. Both will be gone at year's end. It's just stunning how bad this team is.

The Jets are maybe the worst team in the NFL right now, and have no offense, and a soft defense. They were crushed by Seattle, and Mark Sanchez looked as bad as all critics have been saying. Don't forget fans, the Jets signed him to a contract that pays him more than Aaron Rogers. So expect him cut at year's end. 50/50 Rex is gone as well.
It will be interesting to see how Dallas plays now.

Also I would watch how Chicago handles the next few games.
Old 11-14-12, 22:40

Been busy! not because the Giants sucked at the weekend!
When I said you get value as a Giants fan I forgot November. Giants have been poor for a few games and I feel there may be some structural issues. Things have looked a lot worse since Diehl returned and I'm not sure Bradshaw should be getting the most carries at RB.
Eli has looked poor and we'll see how a week off helps. Nicks has looked a shadow of his former self and I can't help but feel this is injury related.

I wish I'd had more time to watch other teams but simply haven't had time. It's gone 10.30 pm and I'm having a quick break now before doing a couple more hours tonight!

Thanks Alpe for all the posts. Always a good read and fair and reasonable judgements on all teams. nice change from NFL network where they have to create a story or two each week as it seems fans are incapable of having a reasoned discussion based on careful thorough and detailed analysis!