U.S. Politics - Page 455 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-06-12, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by etymology View Post
the blitheringly bellicose rhetoric endlessly emanating from the retrogressive, bigoted, racist, unfettered free maket economy 1 percenters of the far right neo-con wing of the republican party - in concert with the ivy league educated, intellectual, open minded, tax the rich, we know what's best for you, you just don't get it progressive wing of the democrat party have succeeded in drowning the voice of the "real" america.

the "real" america lies somewhere in the middle of the two. neither the far right nor the far left is bereft of what i believe to be a few good ideas. unfortunately, it seems to me that these ideas cannot or will not be separated from their respective ideologies.

aided and abetted by both the democrat and republican parties primarily invested in preserving the two party system regardless of what either needs to do to preserve the ongoing sham that has lead to the sorry state of u.s. politics today, the "real america" is screwed for the forseeable future regardess of the preson elected or the party to which the elected belong.

following are the primary tennets - in order -of how the two party system has operated for some time and how it operaties today in the u.s. of a:

1. make "them" look bad.
2. make "us" look good.
and...as THE absolute last resort....
3. compromise

::: sigh :::

for now - my camera gear is packed and ready to go. first order of business is to amble the half mile or so to the place where i will vote. much as i want to write in pat paulson for president, i will not waste my vote on him as a write in because while it is entirely possible for the dead to vote, a now dead citizen of the united states cannot *actually* assume any elected office.

yet.

after i cast my votes for president and other to-be-electeds, the plan is to wander around the city in which i live to shoot pictures of whatever may capture what strikes the fancy in my mind's eye. the wandering may or may not include a stop in my local bike shop because (a) the aroma of small, local bike shops is intoxicating, (b) there is a blowout sale on last year's stock of plain black, pleated knee wiinter cycliing tights i will wear while skating on the entirely open outdoor rink i use most every day from its opening in the first week of december until it closes in early march, and (c) drool over the bike i will be ordering sometime in early february.

when i return, i'll get things ready for the evening's festivities: conversation, tunes on my most awesome music system, and following election results with friends of varying political stripes.

and if by friday no one has opened the "us election 2016 (ONLY)" thread...i just don't know what i will do.
I enjoyed your intelligent and ironic post.

Something to consider though: I was talking about a perspective that sees "the middle of the two" (in your case a reassuring 'happy end') as constituting marginal differences that don't really pan out in the end, at least not from my perspective. This because I don't think that there is a problem with a "radical left" in America.

Obama, in other words, is not a radical. If anything, he is a foregone disappointment.
Old 11-06-12, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Your inquiry about "forcing Israel to change, " in theory the democrats (though this is hardly possible), and dealing with Israel as a "fascist state," as a result of republican goading (this, yes, is possible); has something to do with the great struggle of our age: namely, to reconcile civil principles with the prepotency of hegemony. This applies to the entire planet.
I'm more focusing on the situation Israel is in right now and where it is going. But this should perhaps be discussed after the election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
By toxic, I mean many things. As per your complicating example of Syria. No, I don't simply mean in terms of coverage.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-06-12, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala Verde View Post
Check back in on November 7th. We'll be back on. There are midterms to win. On November 7th positions will be taken and decisions will be made to get the edge 2 years from now.
A year from yesterday, Christie will be up for reelection (which he may have secured by hugging the president) and there will be a big Virginia election too.

Since obama wins today, i expect GOP to take both those and claim momentum going into 2014 midterms including "take back the senate".
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-06-12, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmewmew13 View Post
I went for a ride this morning so ended up walking in at lunchtime-ish..., expecting a long wait. I even brought food with me :-D
Three People! No line!

I think everyone voted early....
may be crowded after work.....don't know...
good to know! i've just cringed seeing lines from FL on the telly, so was curious.

btw, i hope your guy wins as well! my cousin and her husband will be at the event tonight, and i feel partially responsible because i convinced them to tell their daughter to stay on the campaign until the end after her summer internship was up. very proud that she did!
Old 11-06-12, 22:00

Quote:
Just voted a while ago.
Fgs I am going to be glad when this is done!

(just hope my candidate wins)
lol, nice to see you kept it to yourself

Especially since your vote will probably be the most important out of any ive seen on this forum anyway.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 11-06-12, 22:03

Quote:
Just voted a while ago.
Fgs I am going to be glad when this is done!

(just hope my candidate wins)
I just got done with not voting today. Feels good not to be part of a fundamentally broken system.

I hope my candidate wins but if he doesn't then it won't really make a difference anyway.
Old 11-06-12, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
I just got done with not voting today. Feels good not to be part of a fundamentally broken system.

I hope my candidate wins but if he doesn't then it won't really make a difference anyway.
You could write in "Travis Tygart". Afterall didnt all the Lance hacks moan that he was just after a political career.

Last edited by The Hitch; 11-06-12 at 22:08.
Old 11-06-12, 22:15

Ron Paul for president!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Old 11-06-12, 22:20
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
A year from yesterday, Christie will be up for reelection (which he may have secured by hugging the president) and there will be a big Virginia election too.

Since obama wins today, i expect GOP to take both those and claim momentum going into 2014 midterms including "take back the senate".
Yup. Senate legislation, assuming D retain the majority in the Senate, will start focusing on vulnerable senators. D have 20 to defend and R 13, some of which they gained in the 2008 Obama waive election.

Hence, some interesting (vulnerable) states:

AK (1 term D); VA (1 term - D); NC (1 term D); WV (coal country - D); CO (1 - D); MT (D); SD (D); MN (1 term D); LA (D)

ME (R); NH (1 term - R)
Old 11-06-12, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala Verde View Post
Yup. Senate legislation, assuming D retain the majority in the Senate, will start focusing on vulnerable senators. D have 20 to defend and R 13, some of which they gained in the 2008 Obama waive election.

Hence, some interesting (vulnerable) states:

AK (1 term D); VA (1 term - D); NC (1 term D); WV (coal country - D); CO (1 - D); MT (D); SD (D); MN (1 term D); LA (D)

ME (R); NH (1 term - R)
Presumably MN is the seat Al Franken won after 10 recounts against Coleman. Considering how close that was in the big Democrat election of 2008, gop will probably be feeling good about that 1.