CN Article - "Top down or Bottom Up" - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cyclo-cross > General

General Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Old 10-31-12, 19:39

Default CN Article - "Top down or Bottom Up"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...n-or-bottom-up

Interesting article. Personally, I couldn't care less about the elite 'crossers and whether-or-not they can make living doing it. To Trebon, Wells, J-Pow (or whatever he wants us to call him), KFC etc - go for it if you want, but for me CX is about participation, not hero worship. We have enough of that on the road, and look where that leads.
Old 11-05-12, 16:19

Winning races and being professional do not necessarily lead to gloryhunting. At least not in my case.

Starting to read the article. Sounds interesting but it's long.
Old 11-07-12, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Winning races and being professional do not necessarily lead to gloryhunting. At least not in my case.

Starting to read the article. Sounds interesting but it's long.
Agreed, and I'm not really saying it does. But when a race organiser only has lower category races in order to charge entry fees that end up in the pockets of the top racers; well that's a model I don't like. I couldn't care less whether pros and wannabe pros turn up at races. Just as long as there are races and a lot of people participate. Support the grass roots and the rest will take care of itself. I don't think we really gain anything by having professional athletes (in any sport), and policies and practices that lead to preference for professionals over amateurs are simply not my bag, baby.