U.S. Politics - Page 460 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-07-12, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
trying to sweet talk me?

okay, boyfriend who claimed he was staying up has started snoring... will have to get him upstairs whilst i can
Let me know when he's safely tucked away. I'll be at the back door.
Old 11-07-12, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Apparently the last districts to report in Virginia are the most populous ones close to D.C., which are also those areas with high proportions of young urban whites, Latinos and African Americans i.e. heavily pro-Obama.
Ah. In the old days, the Dems would take an early lead in a state and lose it later, because the earliest returns were always from large urban areas, and the later ones from suburbs. But I guess that isn't always the case now. I also noticed that Obama's numbers trail those of Dem Senate candidates in major states where there is a Senate contest. That does not look good, seeing as how the Senate and Pres. votes would be recorded together, but favorite sons often do outpoll the Pres.

Amster, that Washington loss Sunday may possibly have even worse implications than you thought. Did you know that since 1937, when the team moved to Washington, in 17 of 18 Pres. elections, the incumbent party has lost when the Redskins lost their last home game before the election? That is like flipping a coin 18 times and getting 17 heads, wildly improbable. Can't figure it out.

OTOH, since 1992, the Redskins have always lost their last game (home or road) before the election. Not hard to figure that one out.

Anyone know how > 40% of Fla votes were counted before the polls closed there? All of them absentee? That large a number?

Last edited by Merckx index; 11-07-12 at 01:51.
Old 11-07-12, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiton View Post
I wanted to vote Obama but in the end I just couldn't get past his signing of the NDAA. To me that gutless act was a profound betrayal of the American people, our Constitution, our history, and quite likely our future. My fear is that it represents the crossing of the Rubicon for our Republic, but in any event I couldn't bring myself to pull the lever for the man who signed it.
Happily, you could safely indulge your conscience, considering where you live.
Old 11-07-12, 01:48
Banned

Found this on another site:

"So far Romney is doing well in states where you can marry your cousin, provided they are not the same gender as you."
Old 11-07-12, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Happily, you could safely indulge your conscience, considering where you live.
Yeah, that was my thinking.
Old 11-07-12, 01:53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiton View Post
I wanted to vote Obama but in the end I just couldn't get past his signing of the NDAA. To me that gutless act was a profound betrayal of the American people, our Constitution, our history, and quite likely our future. My fear is that it represents the crossing of the Rubicon for our Republic, but in any event I couldn't bring myself to pull the lever for the man who signed it.
Just like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell. Obama signed the bill. McCain would have signed an even worse version of the bill. Romney would do the same.

The Rubicon was crossed by Dubya in a boat built by Clinton.
Old 11-07-12, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
Ah. In the old days, the Dems would take an early lead in a state and lose it later, because the earliest returns were always from large urban areas, and the later ones from suburbs. But I guess that isn't always the case now. I also noticed that Obama's numbers trail those of Dem Senate candidates in major states where there is a Senate contest. That does not look good, seeing as how the Senate and Pres. votes would be recorded together, but favorite sons often do outpoll the Pres.

Amster, that Washington loss Sunday may possibly have even worse implications than you thought. Did you know that since 1937, in 17 of 18 Pres. elections, the incumbent party has lost when the Redskins lost their last home game before the election? That is like flipping a coin 18 times and getting 17 heads, wildly improbable. Can't figure it out.

OTOH, since 1992, the Redskins have always lost their last game (home or road) before the election. Not hard to figure that one out.

Anyone know how > 40% of Fla votes were counted before the polls closed there? All of them absentee? That large a number?
OTOH, Mourdock is losing in Indiana, as I mentioned earlier.

You know, I actually knew that bizarre Skins fact, but had totally forgotten about it since the last election. Perhaps it's something to do with the inordinately high overall percentage of Skins games that are lost anyway?

Slightly different Fla. figures here - http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/results
Old 11-07-12, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Just like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell. Obama signed the bill. McCain would have signed an even worse version of the bill. Romney would do the same.

The Rubicon was crossed by Dubya in a boat built by Clinton.
A good summation. Although frankly I'm not entirely sure McCain would have signed it. His running mate would have, though, after McCain died of a heart attack or some such.
Old 11-07-12, 02:08

Interestingly obama has according to the exit polls twice the lead in Wisconsin as MN
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-07-12, 02:12

loL florida 1100 votes seperate the 2.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.